7.6

Most common solutions:

2. replaced door latch assembly (69 reports)
  3. clean or replace door ajar sensor (30 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Edge:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

Nov 182017

Edge LX 3.2L V6

This seems to be an expensive fix 200-500 dollars, What is Ford going to do to fix the problem it seems to happen very regularly??

- , Bloomfield, US

Jun 012017

Edge

Door ajar light stays on all the time and every time I step on the brake and get going again it beep, beep, beeps. Very annoying. When light is on, my doors will not lock and it takes my interior light forever to turn off.

- , South Bend, US

Sep 062017

Edge Limited V6

A couple of months ago I noticed as I was backing up out of my driveway that the "left back door ajar" light was on. I stopped and opened the door and closed it several times. The light never went off but after I drove a couple feet the light went off. Once I arrived at my location I then noticed the inside lights would not go off and my doors wouldn't lock. I was so annoyed because my laptop and work items were still in the car. I stood outside waiting for the lights to go off. It took over 10 min. UNBELIEVABLE. In the next few days this became a nuisance. I tried everything! What angered me the most is that I just had my truck in for servicing a few weeks ago and told them that my drivers side headlight is showing that it is out. They were supposed to fix it but a few days later the light came back on again. This has been so frustrating because when I back out of my driveway the inside light will not go off until I pull off. Therefore, the glare from the inside light is causing me to run over my grass and everything that I can't see. Yes my warranty has run out but if this is happening to more than 1 person then someone should look into this. At first I wanted to say that it's not such a big deal but why doesn't Ford just fix the problem. At night I don't want people looking in to my vehicle and during the day I can't tell what I've locked or not locked.

- , Lanham, US

Jul 182017

Edge SEL 3.5L V6

This problem occurred in year 2 of ownership of new vehicle. At that time dealer stated SOP was to clean the contacts and not replace. Cleaning of contacts lasted until warranty expired. Now the latch never senses the door closed. This causes several problems. 1. The doors do not lock with the car in motion, 2. Lights stay on for long periods of time, 3. Antitheft will not arm because the system does not see the door closed.

- , Butte, US

Nov 012017

Edge SEL 3.5L

This is a safety issue without a doubt. Everyone will eventually ignore the light even when there door may be ajar. Ford should recall this immediately.

- , Macon, US

Jun 012017

Edge

Light on panel reads door ajar, but door is secure and closed. Not willing to pay 250.00 when so many have reported the same issue.

- , Decatur, US

Aug 312016

Edge Limited 3.2L V8

Had the vehicle in the service center several times for service and mentioned the annoying door ajar light and bell constantly going off. Their reply was the problem was not covered under warranty!

- , Eagle River, US

Aug 042017

Edge SEL V6

Door Ajar light comes on when the door is closed. This keeps reoccurring have to slam the door several times for the light to go out. If not the dome lights stays on and drains the battery. When driving warnings appear on the dash that the engine is on and to shift into park.

- , Scranton, PA, US

Sep 012017

Edge Sport V6

When we first purchased this Ford Edge 2013 the "door ajar" was already a problem. The dealership we purchased it from acted like it was no big deal and said they would "fix" the issue. Well, guess what??? 2 years later it's doing it again. Looks like they put a bandaid on it and didn't actually fix it! I'm very frustrated and this has caused other problems. Since the door sensor is messed up my lights won't go off, which means when I'm driving with my kids in the car I can't lock my doors for their SAFETY which absolutely pisses me off! There should most definitely be a recall on this matter! I also can't lock my doors ever because my car senses the door isn't shut when IT IS! Also, my keyless remote isn't working either and we replaced the battery so it's not the battery!

I'm to the point to never buy a Ford again. It's always something.

Regretfully, a very unhappy Ford driver! 😡

- , Oklahoma City, US

Oct 062017

Edge SEL V6

This problem is all over the Internet on multiple models. Why is this not a recall or at least a covered fix for those that have the problem. For ford to call this wear and tear is a complete sham.

- , Clayton, US

Aug 012017

Edge

Passenger door ajar light comes on. Sometimes I can slam the door hard enough but sometimes it won't. Dome light stays on for a minute or two after I start driving which is distracting when I am backing up. Also when I turn the car off it won't go off. Sometimes I have to try to do something and sometimes I have to wait to see if it goes off. Usually about 10 minutes.

- , Northfield, US

Sep 132017

Edge Limited 3.2L V6

2013 Ford Edge driver door ajar light always ON!!!

- , Abingdon, US

Jul 012017

Edge

DESPITE what the investigation into the door ajar issue concluded this is definitely a safety issue.

The first portion is the automatic door lock when the car is in drive. This is to prevent people, and especially kids, from falling from the car while it is in motion. They do not lock with the doors “open”, and so remain unlocked the entire time I’m driving. This is a problem for a fall hazard for my passengers, including my young niece. It also means if a car door IS open, I’m not properly notified by the system

Secondly, it is an issue with stopping someone unwanted from entering my car at stoplight, stop signs, or when I’m simply in my car idling. Especially as a woman with small children in my car, this is a constant cause of discomfort for me going about my day and errands. My attempts to manual lock the doors are immediately corrected by the auto locks.

Third, the interior automatic lights do not turn off in the car when the doors are unlocked. This means, again, they are always on. It didn’t bother me for the first little while after the sensors started to go bad, but I quickly realized the flaw. At night, parking lots become a huge, stressful hazard. The interior lights blind me from seeing oncoming traffic as I am backing up. It also hinders my ability to avoid cars on the sides. There have been a couple of narrow misses with small dark cars on the passenger side of the car and a great frustration. If I am lucky enough to have a passenger it has become more necessary and safer to ask them to stand behind the car and direct me out. If I’m alone I do my best to anticipate any cars, say a prayer, and go as slow as possible. The lights turn off at 10 miles per hour, but backing out at that speed is irresponsible and dangerous.

As an additional side note, it voids the keyless entry code on the door. It will unlock, but not lock the doors, because not all doors are “closed”. It was a feature I looked for specifically, and not being able to use it is disappointing.

- , Albuquerque, US

Dec 022014

Edge SEL 3.2L V6

The doors won't lock while the door thinks it's ajar. This seems like a major safety problem.

- , Saint Charles, US

Apr 012016

Edge ES 3.2lV6

the repair for the sensor switch is very expensive and there is no guarantee this wont happen again. the interior light stays on when the car is off and drains the battery. This is not a use issue this should be a recall.

- , Duluth, US

Jan 012016

Edge SEL 3.5L L V6

I have had the dome light stay on for over a year now from the driver side door sensor not realizing the door is shut. I have to stand there for God knows how long opening the door and closing it again and hitting the lock button off my keys to see if the lights go off. I'm a mother of two, 6 and 2. I've had to stand outside with them crying, sleeping, whatever doing this OVER and OVER to make sure my light goes off. Night after night, constantly doing this in parking lots after turning my car off. CONSTANTLY!!!!

In the last 2 months, my driver side REAR door is now having issues. The info says it's the rear door and the driver door now. So going down the road we have that awful ding letting me know that it's not shut WHEN IT IS. Once again having to stand outside with babies now having to OPEN AND SHUT BOTH DOORS AND LOCKING IT AND UNLOCKING IT OVER AND OVER AND OVER UNTIL THE LIGHTS GO OFF. WHILE I HAVE CRYING SCREAMING BABIES AT TIMES. WHILE IT'S FREEZING COLD OR SCORCHING HOT. I've even had instances to which the light would not be on once I go into my home and hours later after going outside multiple times and the light not being on to walk by the door and see my lights on due to the stupid sensor thinking the door is not shut so it automatically turns my lights on and has run down my battery due to this happening in the middle of the night and I am unknown of it until the next morning!

Why haven't I taken it to be fixed, because I am NOT going to pay another $400 to fix something on my vehicle like this when I still have an extended warranty and am already paying a huge amount for this vehicle. This may not be a recall situation but it is a major DEFAULT situation that FORD needs to handle.

- , Wappapello, US

Dec 082015

Edge SEL 3.2L V6

I purchased the 2013 Ford Edge in May of 2015. After having hardly any issues with the 2007 model I thought this would be a no-brainer purchase. Man was I wrong. While I have had significant issues with this car from the tires to the brakes, the common reocurring theme is this door ajar light coming on when the front driver side door is clearly closed. This causes the dome lights to stay on thus draining the battery. Additionally, the door doesn't always lock when this light goes on leaving my vehicle open to theft. The first door ajar light issue I had was around winter 2015 where the sensor was replaced. It was covered by a warranty however I was charged over $100 just to get it put on the computer for evaluation. see my second complaint with is almost an exact replication of this one

- , Stow, US

Sep 202017

Edge SEL 3.2L V6

This is the second time my 2013 Ford Edge SEL "door ajar" light has gone off. The last time was Winter 2015 when the dealership replaced the sensor after charging me $100 to put it on the computer for evaluation. Almost 2 years later, the same issue arose. This light goes on intermittently and causes the dome lights to remain on thus draining the car battery. I will be calling to see if there is a warranty on the part itself from the dealership that replaced it but I am guessing that won't be the case. While this car is aesthetically beautiful, it is a disaster maintenance wise. I wouldn't advise anyone purchasing this vehicle as this has been one of many issues that I have had with this car.

- , Stow, US

Sep 072017

Edge Sport 3.2L V8

This is definitely an engineering problem that affects numerous components of the vehicle, including running the battery down. This is my wife's car and I do not want her to get stuck somewhere. In today's environment this could be a safety problem.

- , Spicewood, US

May 102017

Edge SEL 3.5L V6

Interior light and warning sensor and alarm won't turn off. Battery has drained a couple times and will have to be replaced now. doors won't stay locked in motion, and doors won't stay locked in park.

- , Forest Grove, OR, US