Jul 202013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving on highway at about 65 mph. Driving for about 30 min. When vehicle started to stutter and slow down. Pushing the accelerator and no response -RPM and speed dropping quickly. Almost run over by other vehicles on highway. Wrench light came on the dash panel. Car was pulled over to side of road and barely going at 900 RPM and ~ 2 mph. Needed to ha E car towed. This is a very dangerous issue that needs to be fixed immediately!

- Hockessin, DE, USA

Jul 082013

Escape 6-cyl

On Monday, July 8 at 8:45 am I was driving my 2009 Ford Escape from my home to my office...a distance of 17.3 miles. I had completed approximately 14 of those miles, traveling on a four lane divided highway at approximately 55 mph and on cruise control. Without warning, the car shut down. The motor continued to run at significantly reduced power...enough to power the power steering and brakes and electrical system...but not the vehicle. Luckily I was able to steer off of the highway and access the situation. This failure had never occurred previously with this vehicle. A wrench light was now appearing on the control panel and the car was barely running. I put the car in neutral and shut it down. Then I turned the key and it restarted and seemed to run fine. I continued the journey hoping it was a one-time glitch. That same afternoon at approximately 4 pm, I started my return trip home. Within the first mile, while on the highway entrance ramp, the same shutdown occurred. This happened three more times as I made my way home. The approximate speed for each shutdown was as follows: #1 - 15 mph, #2 - 50 mph, #3 - 55 mph, #4 - 15 mph. That night, having read, on the internet, about the problems with the "throttle body control" part with Ford Escapes and have noted your case # PE13-003, I decided I would present the vehicle for repair at the Ford dealership the next morning. That was, in fact, the problem and it was repaired on July 9, 2013 by tom masano auto group, 1600 lancaster ave., reading pa 19607 at a cost of $378.05. This failure presents a very dangerous situation since there is no way of predicting when it is going to happen. Luckily, even though I was in rush hour traffic, I was able to steer the car to safely without incident. I, and others, may not be so lucky the next time.

- Mohnton, PA, USA

Oct 112010

Escape 6-cyl

We bought the SUV used at a Chevrolet dealership in. June 2010, and in October we started having issues. The vehicle wouldn't start. We had it towed to a Ford dealership where they had it for 10 days and couldn't. find a problem. We drove it for approximately 7 months, 14,000 miles then it happened again...we had it towed to another garage, and they had it a couple of days with no problems found.in June 2012 it wouldn't. start again. This time it restated after 40 minutes. It went into a safe mode, where I drove it home at 5 mph. Waited 30 minutes unhooked the battery cables waited 15 minutes and hooked them back up, ,and it started and ran fine for a few days then started dying while driving at any speed. Took it to auto zone to read any codes...none were identified. This is happening more frequently now. Is going back to Ford on tuesday7/2/13. This is a very dangerous problem, that needs to be addressed.

- Laporte, IN, USA

Jun 032013

Escape

While driving at 60 mph, the car went in to limp mode. We costed to the shoulder turned car off. It re started no issues, check engine light came on. Took to my mechanic who clean throttle body plate. Car ran great for about 5 days then again same problem arises. Call Ford to purchase part and told it is on national back order no idea when the part could be available. So I am not stuck with a car that could get me or my family hurt.

- Bellevue, NE, USA

Jun 162013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving again today and truck just shut off this is the second time in last two weeks is Ford go to recall this problem pulled code and code number is 2112 same code as before.

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 152013

Escape 6-cyl

My wife was driving along the highway when suddenly the throttle stopped working, the engine did not shut off but she could not give the car any gas and had to pull over. This has happened 4 times since then with the most recent being today. There is something wrong with the throttle body from what I've read from other 2009 Ford Escape owners. I also understand that an investigate was/is being done into this problem.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Jun 072013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving and engine lost power check engine light on pulled code 2112.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Dec 282012

Escape 6-cyl

We have had problems with this vehicle from day one. Currently the big issue is the throttle body (which I've seen has been a problem with all the Ford Escapes). Also the mass air flow system, heating/air, and security system (also it has a problem not starting---not sure if that's also throttle body). Is this being recalled?

- Richmond, KY, USA

Jun 032013

Escape 6-cyl

As I was driving, the accelerator pedal suddenly stopped responding and the wrench and check engine lights came on. I was able to pull over and put on the hazard lights. After turning the engine off and restarting, the accelerator pedal responded again and I was able to drive for a short while before it failed again. This was very dangerous. I repeated this cycle until I was able to get the car to the dealership, where I was notified that the codes indicated a faulty throttle body. The dealership has advised the part is on backorder and won't be available for at least two weeks, which means I won't be able to drive the car (the extended warranty does not provide a rental due to backordered parts). This is now very inconvenient. Please note that the transmission was already completely replaced on this vehicle at around 30K miles, along with a failed power window motor, rear glass hatch seals, etc.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

May 162013

Escape 4-cyl

We were driving down the road after picking up my daughter from school. Suddenly the vehicle jerked and died. It had no prior problems at all. After sitting still for about 15min the vehicle started again and drove home no problem. Since then its stalled several times once even when on the highway going 65mph!

- San Antonio, TX, USA

May 152013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on a busy freeway in houston my car jerked, the wrench light lit up, then would no longer accelerate. I was able to get over the shoulder of the freeway, but the car would not move after that. It stayed on, but was bouncing up and down. I had to have my car towed off the freeway. Once towed, we turned the car off and back on and it ran fine. I took it to a local mechanic the next day and was told everything looked fine, I drove it the following day. On the freeway, it happened again. I immediately took it to the Ford dealership, where I was told the throttle body needs to be replaced, but this part is on national back order with no delivery date in sight. Ford has been giving me the run around since last week regarding the part and rental assistance. My husband and I were advised by a Ford service manager that the car is still "drivable, " however, the problem will happen again. He told us when it does, to simply turn the car off and back on and it should run fine for a short time. I expressed serious concern regarding this advice as houston streets and highways are extremely busy. To date, I have received no assistance and no more information on when this part will be available.

- Houston, TX, USA

May 122013

Escape 4-cyl

Truck failed to accelerate from a red light, with pedal completely engaged. Had continued loss power/thrust when I push the gas. This happens so often now, I am not comfortable driving in heavy traffic as I never know if I'll be able to accelerate. Sunday after finally getting home, I was unable to get it to stay cranked when I depress the gas pedal to reverse. This loss of power was exuberated by having the A/C running. First the timing cover leaks at 22, 761, then a pulley falls off the engine at 40,149 spraying oil all over my interior via the A/C. after the pulley was replaced the car would idle high and then started jerking as if it wanted to stall, took to Ford dealership and was told there were no codes, finally had the tech drive with me and he felt the jerking. After three visits for this, in November 2012 at 50,000 I was am told the coil pack needs to be replaced, now at 55, 063 miles I am told it is the throttle body that needs to be replaced" I think I was sold a lemon and in the state of Florida that's illegal. What if I am rear ended due to the horrible craftsmanship of your product"

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

May 042013

Escape 4-cyl

While driving the car started to sputter and would not accelerate and then would suddenly accelerate without touching the accelerator. Eventually the engine just shut off all together. Has happened several times since then. Found out it was because of the throttle body, which seems to be a recurrence on Ford Escapes.

- Sebring, FL, USA

Apr 232013

Escape 6-cyl

I was stopped at a red light and when the light turned green I pressed the accelerator but the engine seemed to have stalled. I did have slight forward momentum that was jerky and I was able to pull off to the side of the road. I turned the car off, sat for a few minutes, then tried to restart the car. The car did start and no warning lights were on the dashboard. I was able to drive to my subdivision without incident but once I turned into my neighborhood the car stalled again. The car was then towed to my Ford dealership where I was told the throttle needed to be replaced. Since the throttle is considered an electrical component it was not covered under the powertrain warranty. The bill was approximately $670. I was not told this was a common incident in my model and year of car.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Apr 202013

Escape 6-cyl

Car is traveling in 25-30 mph range and shuts down. All lights on dashboard come on. Coast the vehicle to a stop. Put in park and start up again. This has happened twice in last two days. This same situation happened on expressway going 60 mph on 01/03/2011. Had to be towed to Ford dealership. At that time a new throttle body and module was installed.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Apr 022013

Escape 6-cyl

Took my vehicle in to Ford dealer due to check engine light stuck on. Diagnostics pulled 2 codes, P0011 & P0012. These 2 codes are major engine problems!! both solenoids need to be replaced, and possibly have to replace both cylinder heads and cam shafts if head and camshafts show wear = thus a very very expensive engine repair cost for me!! the Ford dealership said this is only covered under warranty up to 60,000 miles: My Escape had only 63,296 miles on 4-2-13, the day I went to the dealership. I'm climbing up the tree at Ford Motor Company an feel I have a "lemon" Ford vehicle!! I want to know why Ford Motor Company did not send out any recall notices to 2009 Ford Escape owners regarding this major-major engine malfunction = serious engine repair costs to me due to their negligence !! I am over the warranty timeline by 3,296 miles !!! I should not have to pay for this engine repair !!

- North Bonneville, WA, USA

Mar 162013

Escape 6-cyl

Car stalled while moving forward after backing out of parking space. Car had operated for 15 minutes before pulling into space, then immediately backing out without stopping engine. For approximately a year and one half yellow service engine light intermittently comes on then goes off after few driving cycles. Car also hesitates and jerks during acceleration randomly and frequently. Service dept of used car dealer where purchased car has detected no defects and has not replicated problem when car left at shop.

- Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

Mar 092013

Escape

While accelerating at low speeds (15 - 20 mph), the vehicle suddenly began to shudder and lurch, with no increase in throttle or power despite flooring the gas pedal. Yellow check engine / repair lights came on, vehicle would jerkingly continue to move forward at a speed of less than 5 mph. After conducting a search, it appears to be similar to the "limp home mode" throttle body problem reported by the North Carolina consumers council.

- Kailua, HI, USA

Jun 012012

Escape

Escape was in for scheduled oil change. Upon leaving the authorized Ford garage the vehicle started shaking and had little acceleration. I turned around and went back to the Ford garage and had them look at it. The problem self corrected while at garage. They said that it was the throttle body and according to the computer, there had been another incident recorded while under previous ownership. Ford garage said to replace throttle body. I have not yet replaced it.

- Bad Axe, MI, USA

Feb 192013

Escape 4-cyl

While driving, the vehicle lost power. When pressing on gas it just coasted. The wrench warning light came on. Was able to get to side of the road, but almost got hit from behind. Turned vehicle off, restarted and was back on the road. On other occasions there has been some surging. I see that there has been many complaints on this problem and it is getting some press that there is a defective part (throttle body). I contacted Ford service and was told that they could look at it, but it is not under warranty. However, the wrench warning light indicate a power train issue, I was told it is not covered under the power train warranty. This does not make sense and it truly looks like a defective part. This is very unsafe and could result in a very bad accident in traffic. This needs to be a recall since they are aware of the issue.

- Franklin, TN, USA