Nov 042013

Escape

On Friday, November 1, I was driving to work when suddenly the Escape failed to accelerate. The wrench light appeared. I coasted to the right turn lane then stopped. Turned the Escape off, waited a few seconds and then tried starting it. It started but the entire vehicle shook. I was able to get the Escape to crawl to a parking lot. I turned it back off and waited a few minutes longer. After about ten minutes, I tried starting it and it seemed to run just fine. On Monday, November 4, I had a repeat of this. We had the repair shop tow it in, fearing that it would die in traffic and cause an accident. The car dealer says it was the throttle body.

- West Des Moines, IA, USA

Oct 252013

Escape

This has happened twice now. I have been driving my car and all of a sudden I loose gas power, but my brakes and steering still works fine. I have to pull over to the side of the road and come to a complete stop. While at a complete stop I can feel my car/ engine making a jerking "thudding" noise/ motion. I then turn my car off and take my key out of the ignition for the a couple of minutes. After letting the car sit I out my key back in and try to start it. But the car hesitates to start, it cranks for a while and then eventually turns over and starts. When I begin driving again after the incident I can feel that my car is not driving the same. Both times it has occurred I was driving two completely different speeds.

- Worth, IL, USA

Oct 152013

Escape

I was driving on interstate 71 in Ohio when my car lost power totally, it had to be flat-bed towed to mansfield Ford where I was told there was a problem with the throttle body. This was very dangerous and frightening to me, now I am afraid to travel in this vehicle. I had to pay $474 to repair, which I think Ford should reimburse.

- North Canton, OH, USA

Oct 042013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving at highway speed I lost acceleration. SUV shook then lost speed quickly. Was able to pull onto off road. Wrench lite on dash. I turned off SUV then restarted and lite went away. Drove to next turn off so I could turn around to head home. Samething happened on way home but after restarting SUV the wrench lite changed to engine service lite. Was able to get home from there. Took for service which concluded electronic throttle body was dirty so it cleaned. Was able to drive for about 20 days when issues accrued again. Throttle body needed replaced.

- Hudson, OH, USA

Oct 152013

Escape

We have been having issues with the car since August of 2013. The car would lose power while driving slowing down to a crawl without notice. This issue happened about 5 times since that occurrence. Car has been in the shop 5 times since that time with about $2000 in repair bills that included engine work, new battery, new alternator, etc. The car was towed each time to mongos auto repair in cinnaminson NJ. On this occurrence I did a google search and found that this model is having common problems as per the above and the throttle body needs to be replaced to repair the issue. Mongos checked and there was a recall by Ford to repair this issue. We never received a recall notice from Ford. We were informed it would have been covered under the drive train warranty if the car had 60,000 miles or less. My wife drives the vehicle and was put into very dangerous situations due to this faulty defect in manufacturing. Can I contact someone about never receiving the recall and get reimbursed for the $2000 in repairs plus the new bill to replace the throttle body?

- Cinnaminson, NJ, USA

Oct 092013

Escape

While in the left lane of a 3 lane highway (bishop Ford) I was traveling about 65 mph then accelerating to 72 mph the car made a jerk ( felt like the transmission) then there was no acceleration and the wrench light came on. I tried to push the gas and nothing. I slowly moved to the emergency lane which was very dangerous because the average speed on this highway is about 70 and I had to crossover 2 lanes and at this point the car was less than 40 mph. No one wants to slow down to let you over. I had my 2 yr old in the car at the time so I was very nervous about getting hit by another vehicle. I turned off the car and the restarted and it and drove ok without this happening again. This jerk motion has happened several times and when I had it checked at the dealer while under warranty they could not find anything wrong because it did not do it when they drove the car. Anytime I had a complaint while under warranty they could not find anything wrong with the car. This is a hazard and to know so many complaints have been made and nothing has been done by Ford..................................anyone?S death by this will be on their hands.

- Hobart, IN, USA

Oct 082013

Escape

Started to accelerate and the car just has no power to go. Engine runs but touching the gas does nothing. Engine runs around 1K RPM's. the wrench light comes on. If you can live to turn the vehicle off and restart, the light goes out and the vehicle works fine. Seems like a lot of owners are having this problem. This is a life threatening problem.

- North Versailles, PA, USA

Jun 012013

Escape 6-cyl

Car intermittently stalled while driving at speeds from 1-30 mph or following a stop. This continued to increase to the point that the car stalled every few feet. Car had to be towed to Ford dealer for throttle body replacement and reprogram. Dealer charge for labor and parts was $ $732.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jun 152010

Escape 4-cyl

Fuel system warning light appeared. Repaired by dealer under warranty. Reappeared September 16,2013. Adjusted. Reappeared September 24,2013 replaced fuel filler pipe. Since this is part of emission controls should be covered under emission warranty.

- San Miguel, CA, USA

Sep 222013

Escape

After waiting at a red light, my vehicle travelled about 100 yards. The engine shuttered, accelerator pedal was unresponsive, and the engine rpms dropped to 900. I pulled to the side of the road and turned off the car then restarted it. Everything was fine, except for my confidence, for the next 6 miles. While driving 45 mph, the engine shuttered, wrench light and check engine light illuminated, and rpms immediately dropped. Same unresponsive accelerator pedal. I then put the car in neutral and coasted to a side road. I turned the car off and waited a couple of minutes, enough time to call my wife and let her know to be ready to come pick me up if my car wouldn't make it home. I restarted the car and 7 miles later I was home with no problems. I have not been to a mechanic or called Ford or anything of that nature as this has just occurred within the last couple of hours.

- Johns Island, SC, USA

Aug 312013

Escape

While exiting a parking lot at low speed, the vehicle shut down completely. The vehicle was restarted a few minutes later with no apparent problems. The dealer diagnosed a faulty throttle body and replaced the part.

- Warwick, RI, USA

Sep 022013

Escape

Car started shuttering while maintaining a constant speed. Car was taken to the dealership and I was told that it was not covered under warranty, throttle body was the problem and the part was replaced.

- Bethel Park, PA, USA

Aug 242013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

While driving the 2009 Ford Escape down highway, experienced a brief lurch then complete and immediate loss of throttle control. Engine speed decreased to approx. 1000 RPM making it impossible to continue driving and forcing an emergency stop on shoulder. While stopped on shoulder, engine was completely unresponsive to throttle, and remained roughly idling at 1K rpms. Shut off engine, and restarted the vehicle. After restarting, throttle control appeared to be working normally. There were no obvious symptoms immediately prior to the failure: Engine appeared to be running fine, and throttle control was working normally until the incident. The unexpected loss of throttle control and corresponding decrease in vehicle speed was disorienting, and could have easily resulted in an unsafe situation or accident if surrounding traffic were heavier or driver had panicked. Vehicle was diagnosed by dealer as having a "failing throttle body". codes retrieved were P2111 and P2135, and pinpoint tests showed that "the throttle actuator control motor is failing". throttle body assembly was replaced.

- Coon Valley, WI, USA

Jun 152012

Escape

When slowing down engine would stall at any speed. Slowly progressed into a hesitation from a red light. Sparatic idle after stopping. Wrench light would come on every time. Now check engine light and wrench light on together.

- Townsend , TN, USA

Aug 052013

Escape

Same as others, the engine keeps running but will not go do the throttle body actuator not opening.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Aug 152013

Escape

Vehicle stuck in the intersection waiting for a red light. Engine light kicked on. Error code P2111, throttle stuck. Would been in an accident if on highway. Ford needs to address this issue.

- Victoria, TX, USA

Jun 282013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on a main highway on vacation out of state the Ford Escape slowed and would not accelerate to keep up with traffic. "wrench light" light on dash illuminated. It continued to run slowly and we pulled off to the side of the highway. Car restarted and ran normally over 100 miles to final destination. Local repair shop detected no "codes" but suggested a Ford dealer examine based upon history. Dealer confirmed computer issue with throttle body faults caused stall and replaced part. Total costs approx $300. No recurrence of stalls on highway.

- Hickory, NC, USA

Jul 252013

Escape

Driving about 55-60 mph down the highway my gas pedal stopped responding and my truck rapidly slowed down. I was able to maneuver to the shoulder & restart. This happened 4 times in the 7 miles to pick up my daughter (toddler son was with me). I had to go to the nearest service shop and almost $500 later its being fixed.

- Leland, NC, USA

Jul 202013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle died and check engine light came on. We ran the diagnostic and it indicated the fuel actuator was getting stuck. According to the Ford dealer, the throttle body needs to be replaced. It appears that many other owners of this vehicle have also had to have the throttle body replaced.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 272013

Escape 6-cyl

I was just pulling away from a drive thru window when the "wrench" light came on, and the truck stopped moving forward as if it had been shifted into neutral, which it hadn't been. I turned off the vehicle and waited a few moments and restarted it and it was running fine, with no further lights being illuminated on the dash. This same problem happened again approx 3 weeks later, although this time I was going approx. 20 mph, having just accelerated from a stop sign. The wrench light came on, but this time the engine light also came on, and then the truck lost power. I turned the engine off, waited a few moments and restarted it. This time, however, the engine light did not go off, so I took it to an auto parts store to read the computer. They found diagnostic code P2111, throttle body stuck open. After a few hours of sitting in my parking lot at work, when I started the vehicle there were no lights illuminated on the dash, and per the dealer's service department, the computer had reset itself.

- Buffalo, NY, USA