Dec 182012

Escape 6-cyl

Driving and wrench light came on at the same time that the vehicle lost power. This had happened previously on 11/25/12 and the dealer repair was replacing both vct solenoids and valve cover gaskets. Both times when this had happened before I turned the engine off and restarted after 3-5 minutes. I was able to go another 6-8 miles and then the wrench light came back on. The second time, the check engine light came on and then seconds later 8 other lights were lit on the dash. I turned the engine off after coasting to the median of the highway (was in left lane with traffic at 55mph) and waited for a tow from the dealer. Now the dealer is telling me this repair (replacement of throttle body) is not covered as the vehicle is more than 3 years old (actually, I've had it for 44 months). I want Ford to pay for this repair as it seems rather common from what I'm seeing on-line.

- Johns Creek, GA, USA

Jul 152012

Escape 4-cyl

I was driving on a freeway going approx 55 mph. After driving approx 6 miles the RPM's started to rev up and down from 500 to the max RPM. I could hear the engine revving but my speed was not changing. I could not accelerate, I could only break. I quickly pulled to the side of the road, shut off the engine and waited for approx. 5 minutes. I restarted the engine, revved the engine a few times. All seemed normal. So I continued slowly. Nothing further happened for 3 weeks. Then it happened again, also on the freeway at the same approximate speed. I did the same thing and had no issues until recently. Since then my mpg has gone down from avg 28 to avg 24 mpg. The engine/trans? always hesitates to shift and occasionally the RPM's go higher then they should before the engine shifts back down. Two days ago on 11/22/12 I was stopped at a red light after getting off the freeway (70 mph). After sitting through the red light I attempted to accelerate, my car would not move. The RPM's did not move either, they were steady at idle RPM of about 1500. I hit the gas peddle again and finally my car jerked into gear and revved up to about 3000 RPM. I tried to replicate this at the next stop light but it hasn't done it since. I will be taking my car in on Monday to have it looked at but fear that dealer will again find nothing wrong. After my first incident I took it to the dealership and they found nothing wrong with it. I was told it was probably just because it was hot outside.

- Taylor, MI, USA

Nov 142012

Escape 6-cyl

My 2009 Ford Escape stalled (engine running but no forward motion and no response to accelerator) while driving. This happened while attempting to enter heavy traffic. I was almost rear-ended by oncoming vehicles. The problem was diagnosed as a problem with the throttle body by dealer. I had to pay to have the throttle body replaced. This is known defect, very similar to NHTSA action # DP12006: "...vehicles that were diagnosed as failed throttle bodies with diagnostic trouble codes P2111, throttle body stuck open, and P2222, throttle body stuck closed. The petitioner indicates that the owners of both vehicles reported experiencing repeated incidents of stalling..." Ford has "released a number of technical service bulletins that cover a wide range of vehicles and throttle body issues related to hesitation and stalling, including 08-18-2 and 09-23-5." this is a serious safety issue. I contacted Ford (both corporate and the dealership) and they have indicated that they will not take action to address this issue until a recall is initiated by the NHTSA.

- Burke, VA, USA

Oct 122012

Escape

While driving my 2009 Ford Escape at around 40-60 mph the car suddenly and without warning lost all acceleration. At the same time the orange wrench came on my dashboard. I was able to pull to the side of the road and when I came to a stop, the engine almost died, but never did. Putting the car in park and turning it off and back on again seemed to alleviate the problem - and the orange wrench went away, until it happened again a few miles down the road. That morning it happened 5-6 times within a half hour or so and the check engine light came on the last time. This problem has occurred once randomly before but the mechanic could find no reason for it to be happening. Since the check engine light remained on this time he ran a diagnostic test and concluded the throttle body was dirty. After cleaning it, the car ran fine for about 5 days when it started happening again.

- Napa, CA, USA

Sep 272012

Escape 6-cyl

We were driving our Escape back from the store and all of the sudden it lost power and the throttle did not respond, this happened several times over the next few days. We took it to the shop and found out the throttle body was bad, there is no reason the throttle body should fail at all much less in a newer model car with low mileage. Had we been pulling out on to a road we could have been involved in an accident! I don't think ours is an isolated indecent from what I have read online.

- Nicholasville, KY, USA

Aug 012012

Escape

While traveling at 70mph, vehicle suddenly stalled while driving in the center lane of a highway in heavy traffic. No warning signs were displayed. After pulling to the shoulder, vehicle was able to be restarted and seemed to be fine. Service technician found a failure code for 'throttle stuck closed' with 'freeze data' showing it happened at 71mph. He inspected the throttle and found no problems. As a precaution, he cleaned the throttle blade with a cleaning wipe. A week later, the vehicle stalled again as I was pulling into traffic. In order to keep the vehicle running, I then needed to keep my foot on both the gas and brake while at stops. Return to my technician and he diagnosed the problem as a defective throttle body. He said that the computer data showed the throttle open only 52% when the throttle was wide open. Vehicle has not yet been repaired.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Aug 102012

Escape 6-cyl

While driving at a constant speed the throttle control actuator inside the throttle body can become stuck and cause the driver to loose all throttle and speed control. Problem will present itself as a transmission issue as shifting through all the gears will not clear the problem, until engine is powered down and restarted. This is a clear and evident problem that appears at or around 75,000 miles. Ford refuses to acknowledge that this is a problem with the factory model throttle body installed in most Escape model vehicles. Regular engine diagnostics do not display an error code unless the diagnostic computer is connected to the car at the time of incident and warning light is on.

- Carrollton, TX, USA

May 252010

Escape 6-cyl

I was sitting in the bank line with my foot on the brake, waiting to get to the drive-up atm when my car suddenly accelerated. I immediately applied the brake harder to stop the car from moving forward. This happened on two other occasions. When I mentioned it to my service specialist he said he checked the car and there were no problems indicated. I have a 2009 Ford Escape XLT V-6.

- Washington, DC, USA