Apr 222013

Escape

I had to get the throttle body replaced on my 2009 Escape because the car engine would disengage and the gas pedal would stop working. The car would coast to a stop and I would have to shut it off and cut it back on to get it to re-engage. This happened ever couple of days for a few weeks and then I took it to the dealer. The dealer has had my car for almost a month and claims that there was a bad production batch that caused a national backlog of parts. The call center has been unresponsive and Ford is claiming that I have to pay full price for the part even though I have been without a car for nearly a month.

- Richmond, VA, USA

May 312013

Escape

On Friday, May 31, 2013 while I was on my way to work, my vehicle suddenly stopped accelerating. Luckily I was able to pull off into a bank and turn my car off and then back on again. I pulled out into the street and into the left lane to make a left turn. Half way through the intersection the vehicle stalled/stopped accelerating again. I just purchased this vehicle two weeks ago. I had to have it towed in to the shop where they determined that it was, surprise surprise the throttle body assembly. After reading through hundreds of complaints in just the last two weeks regarding this exact same issue, I am confused as to why there is no action being taken by the NHTSA" shouldn't there be a recall or something" I would like to know if my car is going to be safe to drive even after they replace this part. Something obviously needs to be done here. This issue not only affects the public safety, but my major investment seems to be turning into a disaster. Please address this issue immediately.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Nov 282012

Escape

First incident occurred end of November, car stalled while traveling on rte 7 in ct. Brought the car to Ford where I was told the diagnostic box registered the issue was with the fuel sensors. The fuel sensors were replaced and the car had no issue until April. In April, car stalled again. I brought it to the dealer and the box did not register anything. Last week (May 21st), I left my office to go on lunch break and the car stalled 4X. I drove (?) the car straight to the dealer which is less than a mile away. The car registered that it was the throttle body issue. Since this is a well known issue with these cars, the part is back ordered with an unknown completion date. The dealer then cleaned out my current throttle body and told me that this was a temporary 3 mos fix. This morning 5/29, the car died again 4X on I-95. 2 of the 4X it stalled, I was in near accidents. This is a widely documented issue with Ford and it's incredible to me that there hasn't been a recall on these cars. This is a very serious safety issue.

- Norwalk, CT, USA

May 282013

Escape 6-cyl

The vehicle suddenly lost power, wrench icon and check engine light came on. Car lost all mobility and use of gas peddle. Luckily was on a street and not a highway. After turning the car on and off the car appeared to be working normally. Several minutes later the condition repeated itself, and then once again several minutes later after turning the car off and on again. Took car to get error code and returned a P2112 error code referencing the throttle body. This is an extremely dangerous defect, and could easily have caused a serious wreck if at high speed. Or intersection. Car is currently at the dealer.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

May 182013

Escape 4-cyl

Repeated incidents of stalling and engine surging. No warning signs prior to the initial failure or prior to subsequent failures.

- Noblesville, IN, USA

May 222013

Escape 4-cyl

I feel like I should document the same issue that happened to many other of these vehicles. I pulled out of the driveway, put it in drive. The engine reved up and down from about 1300 to 2000. There was no power at all. This is so dangerous, everything feels fine, you go to give your car power, and it stutters and doesn't respond. There are no warning signs until it happens. I'm glad it happened to me on my residential street. If this happened when I was trying to make a left turn across lanes, god help me. I'd rather the vehicle not start or stall when I put it in drive than what it did. I plan on taking the car in tomorrow and for them to tell me it needs a new throttle body.

- Lorain, OH, USA

May 112013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving the vehicle there is frequent surging and stalling with eventual result in a nonresponsive gas pedal. The check wrench service light and the engine light were illuminated and the vehicle would become responsive again if the engine was turned off then back on. After restarting the vehicle would soon begin to surge and stall again.

- Cape Girardeau, MO, USA

May 042013

Escape 4-cyl

While driving the car started to sputter and would not accelerate and then would suddenly accelerate without touching the accelerator. Eventually the engine just shut off all together. Has happened several times since then. Found out it was because of the throttle body, which seems to be a recurrence on Ford Escapes.

- Sebring, FL, USA

May 022013

Escape 4-cyl

I had to have the throttle body replaced yesterday. When I would try and accelerate my car would sputter and go into limp mode. The wrench and engine light would go on. The first event was at about 25,000 miles. It occurred again at about 30,000 miles. This time there wan no ignoring it because it was not drivable after I shut it off and had to have it towed to the dealership.

- Saint Petersburg, FL, USA

Feb 112013

Escape

Vehicle stalled when attempting to accelerate after stopping at a light. Vehicle would move approximately 3 mph. Wrench symbol and engine symbol lit up in the display area. Drove (very slowly) vehicle into a parking lot. Shut off vehicle, restarted it, and did not get engine "rev" when depressing gas pedal. Approximately 30 minutes later, the vehicle started and operated normally. Had vehicle towed to repair shop (didn't trust it to drive it). Shop inspected the vehicle in a number of ways the next day and could not reproduce or identify the problem. They said that the on-board event recorder did not record an event. That was the first incident. The 2nd and 3rd incidents occurred today, April 24 2013. Vehicle again stalled while attempting to accelerate at an intersection. Wrench symbol and engine symbol lit up in display area. Pulled into a parking lot, shut off vehicle, and then it started again and ran. About 2 minutes later, the vehicle stalled while driving approximately 40 mph. Again pulled off the main road and restarted the vehicle. Was able to drive it the remaining 3-5 minutes to get home.

- Murphy, TX, USA

Apr 022013

Escape 6-cyl

Took my vehicle in to Ford dealer due to check engine light stuck on. Diagnostics pulled 2 codes, P0011 & P0012. These 2 codes are major engine problems!! both solenoids need to be replaced, and possibly have to replace both cylinder heads and cam shafts if head and camshafts show wear = thus a very very expensive engine repair cost for me!! the Ford dealership said this is only covered under warranty up to 60,000 miles: My Escape had only 63,296 miles on 4-2-13, the day I went to the dealership. I'm climbing up the tree at Ford Motor Company an feel I have a "lemon" Ford vehicle!! I want to know why Ford Motor Company did not send out any recall notices to 2009 Ford Escape owners regarding this major-major engine malfunction = serious engine repair costs to me due to their negligence !! I am over the warranty timeline by 3,296 miles !!! I should not have to pay for this engine repair !!

- North Bonneville, WA, USA

Apr 052013

Escape 6-cyl

2009 Ford Escape with 69,282 miles spontaneously goes into limp mode, causing deceleration in traffic. Car cannot be driven until it is stopped, the engine turned off, and fuel pump restart button pushed. The car will then start and can be driven. This has happened at least 4 times now in the past 12-18 months. It has happened at highway speed (60-70 mph), city speeds (35-40 mph), and today at 15 mph going down my street. It has happened each time driving on smooth, paved roads. One incident was driving home at approx. 6:45 pm on smooth, paved rural highway at 55 mph after 15-20 minutes driving. Had to call tow truck and have car towed to dealership. Dealer found no problem. One incident was Nov 2012 while driving on smooth, paved highway at approx. 60 mph after driving approx. 2 hours. Most recent occurrences were 4-4-13 at 6:45 pm after driving 55-60 mph for 20 minutes on paved road. Next incident 4/5/13 at 11:30 a.M. driving 15 mph on residential street, engine cold. Today the engine light went on and despite stopping the car, pushing the fuel pump reset, and restarting the car, it still will not accelerate and cannot be driven. I will now have to have my car towed to the dealership and, according to Ford customer service, repairs paid for at my expense. There is currently no recall and there needs to be. This is a known problem that has generated many complaints. The situation is unacceptable and makes the car unsafe to drive. I am afraid to drive this car on the interstate. An unreliable car is not worth owning. This is my first Ford and it will be my last. I will not buy another Ford.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Dec 042012

Escape 6-cyl

The car stalled while driving. I pulled over and tried to start the car again. It started and then stalled again. When tested by my mechanic the code came up as a bad throttle body and had to be replaced. Since the car was out of warranty I had him replace the parts and had to pay $300 for parts and labor.

- Branchburg, NJ, USA

Mar 162013

Escape 6-cyl

Car stalled while moving forward after backing out of parking space. Car had operated for 15 minutes before pulling into space, then immediately backing out without stopping engine. For approximately a year and one half yellow service engine light intermittently comes on then goes off after few driving cycles. Car also hesitates and jerks during acceleration randomly and frequently. Service dept of used car dealer where purchased car has detected no defects and has not replicated problem when car left at shop.

- Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

Mar 012013

Escape

Driving approximately 45 miles per hour when the vehicle lost acceleration. The engine continued to run but would not accelerate. Was able to pull over to the side of the road and engine continued running. Turned the engine off and back on and engine did accelerate for approximately 1 mile before repeating the failure. Pulled over once again and repeated the process and was able to make it home (about 3 more miles). Took the vehicle to the Ford dealership next morning and diagnosis is a bad throttle body. Repair cost North of $400. This also happened a few times within a year of purchasing the vehicle but was not repeatable and the check engine light / diagnostic codes apparently didn't fire.

- Lewisville, TX, USA

Feb 142013

Escape 6-cyl

My wife and I were driving home from supper at a restaurant. We were on a busy city street doing about 30 mph, when the car suddenly lost power and slowed to around 1 to 2 mph. We managed to ease the car home(around 2blocks) amid horns blowing and lights flashing from other drivers.the engine light had come on and showed a picture of a wrench. When I explained to the lady at the Ford dealership the next day, she seemed to know right away that it would be a wrench showing, which made me assume that they had this problem before.....bill for repairs was $545.

- St.Petersburg, FL, USA

Sep 152012

Escape 6-cyl

I recently read in a newspaper about an engine probe for Ford vehicles and would like to add that I have also experienced this problem with stalling and/or surging engine in my 2009 Ford Escape limited. I believe my car had experienced this "limp home mode" on the circuit board. On this particular day, I was driving in traffic and then all of a sudden I felt as though I could not accelerate the car at all. The rest of my trip home (approx. 25 miles) the car wouldn't let me surpass about 20mph. I was very scared but wanted to at least get the car closer to my home. I thought the car was done for. Yet, after letting the car rest for about an hour at home, I started it back up and it drove fine. I just wanted to share this experience of yet another person who could contribute to experiencing a malfunctioning circuit board.

- Sayville, NY, USA

Mar 292012

Escape 6-cyl

On 3/29/12 I was driving on a main road and the car just stopped working, all the lights came on and I had no power. I pulled to the side, luckily no one was near me, and put the car in park. I called my husband to come over and when he arrived, he tried to start the car again and it started right up. I drove it to the Ford dealer service center and they discovered it was the throttle body that was defective. Since the car was not under warranty I had to pay. In December 2012 the same thing happened and after several times I brought it in again. I was told that it was most likely (they are never sure) the throttle body again but they were not sure. I paid for a replacement again. In February 2013 after 2 replacements it is happening again. Of course they cannot tell for sure if it is a bad throttle body so I now have a recording device attached to my car so if it happens again I can press the button and it will record what the engine was doing. Maybe they won't have to guess again"? my life is on the line every time this happens while driving, not theirs, not Ford's. is Ford waiting for a fatality before they do something"

- Palm Beach Gardens, FL, USA

Nov 152011

Escape

While driving on the highway the car lost power and luckily I was able to coast to the side of the road safely. The engine was running and everything appeared to be functioning properly. Since the car was no longer under warranty, I brought it to a repair shop and they were not able to reproduce the failure. When I brought the car to the Ford dealership they knew immediately what the problem was and replaced the "drive-by-wire" part; the service representative mentioned that they had seen this problem several times before.

- Jupiter, FL, USA

Jan 022013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving in medium traffic, the engine died and the check-engine-light appeared on the dash. I was able to pull to the side of the road and re-start the car. Once back on the highway, the engine died again less than a quarter of a mile later. I started the car a second time and the engine once again died. By this time, traffic was beginning to back up behind me and I was entering an area where there was no shoulder to Escape to if it happened again. I pulled off the highway and called for a tow. The local Ford dealer said the throttle body had failed, they had recently replace a couple of others. Cost of the repair was $400. Ford said it was not covered under warranty. I retained the failed part and have it available for inspection.

- Aloha, OR, USA