Oct 212018

Escape

Message on dashboard: Power steering assist fault. Steering wheel is locked. Not able to turn wheel. Car is not able to be driven. Was able to verify a recall from 2014. Which I never was notified of this. This is the first time I've had this problem. Recall# 14V28400. Ford recall#14S05. My car was in motion when message appeared on dashboard. I was able to drive the car home safely. Soon as I pulled in my driveway. The car locked. I have not been able to drive since. This occurred on 10/21/2018.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Oct 232018

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 70 mph, the power steering failed. The contact pulled the vehicle over and was able to drive home. Earl floyd Ford (2687 ky-227, carrollton, ky 41008, (888) 278-4062) was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering) as a potential cause of the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that there was no recall on the vehicle. The failure mileage was approximately 162,000.

- Carrollton, KY, USA

Oct 222018

Escape

While driving with my whole family. 2 little girls 12 and 6 and thankfully my husband driving and not me, we were returning a rental car when my car flashed out of no where going about 45mph power steering assist fault upon my research; there has been certain vehicles recalled. Come on Ford! whatever the default is, can you at least give us owners insight on this stuff to get it fixed" is this some kind of money maker for you all? to set up certain timers for this stuff to happen" IżM just so thanmf that I wasnżT driving. I would have not had the power my husband does to overtake the wheel. Please please please do something!

- Catlettsburg, KY, USA

Sep 272018

Escape

The power steering intermently goes out it either works when I start the car or it doesn't. I was told I have to replace the entire steering column since that is where all of the electrical parts are located. Ford says this is not under there recall and it will be $1350 to replace. This seems to be an issue from what I am seeing Ford wants to take no responsibility for this

- Metairie, LA, USA

Oct 012018

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While pulling into a parking space, the power steering suddenly malfunctioned and the steering wheel became very difficult to turn in either direction. During the failure, the "power steering assist fault" message displayed. The failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer and local dealer (jack kain Ford, 3405 lexington rd, versailles, Kentucky) were notified of the failure, but no assistance was offered. The contact was informed that the vehicle was serviced in 2014 per an unknown NHTSA campaign. The failure mileage was 200,000.

- Versailles, KY, USA

Sep 162018

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While the vehicle was stationary and while driving various speeds, the power steering failed on several occasions and was difficult to turn left or right. The contact restarted the vehicle continuously in an effort to correct the failure. The contact stated that the failure was intermittent and also recurred while in reverse gear. A dealer was not made aware of the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and provided the contact with case number: Cas-15831770. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Avis, PA, USA

Nov 012015

Escape 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While operating the vehicle, the low air valve sensor indicator illuminated, indicating that one of the tires experienced low air pressure. Moments later, the steering wheel became very difficult to turn in either direction. The vehicle was towed to the local dealer (jones Ford, 2410 ocean hwy 17 South, supply, nc) where it was diagnosed that the steering pump was faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 154,000.

- Supply, NC, USA

Sep 182018

Escape 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While driving 55 mph, the steering seized. The vehicle was taken to dean arbour Ford (1001 U.S. 23 North, alpena, mi 49707, 888-232-8051) where it was diagnosed that the steering column was fractured. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified and informed the contact that they could not assist. The failure mileage was approximately 63,224. Updated 11/29/18

- Spruce, MI, USA

Oct 042018

Escape

A few days ago while driving on local roads at approx 30 mph, the power steering cut out and the battery light lit. I pulled over re-started car, drove another 2 miles and same happened while going around a bend in road causing me to partially go into oncoming lane. This happened 3 more times while bringing car to repair shop and now told I need a complete steering column due to all computerized steering controls being located in the column. Is Ford doing anything to rectify this obvious common and dangerous problem ? I am the original owner of this vehicle.

- Yorktown Heights, NY, USA

Oct 062018

Escape

On 10/6/18 I began experiencing a sudden stiffness in my steering wheel as I turned the corner on a main city street. At this point I had to pull over cautiously three blocks away into a gas station and call triple aaa to get towed home. The triple aaa employee attempted to drive it around the gas station noting also that there is an on and off stiffness with the steering wheel. I got to get my vehicle towed again since its Saturday night, and no one is open. It will need to be towed Ford or another repair shop. Based on the recall information, I could possibly not belong in job#1 from Kansas City, Missouri. I am hoping this recall applies to my vehicle. I will call your office on Monday as well as my Ford dealership. I hope that I can resolve this issue quickly and safely. It was a very scary experience for me. Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Sep 282018

Escape

Power steering went out as I was driving down the road. Continues to go in and out. I see the recall for certain vehicles. Obvious my car is having the same issue as recalled vehicles. Only 74K miles.

- Falls Church, VA, USA

Sep 222018

Escape

Power steering has been going out over the last several months. I have to put all my strength into barely being able to turn the steering wheel. This has occurred at high speeds on the interstate without warning, nearly causing an accident. It has occurred immediately upon starting vehicle. As of now, we have not been able to get it to work at all for nearly a week. Usually, turning vehicle on and off over and over will at some point get the power steering to work but not anymore. This is a huge safety issue happening with an unacceptable number of Ford Escapes and Ford will not acknowledge!!! is it going to take terribly injury or death before this is addressed?

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Sep 162018

Escape

Happened three times in 20 minutes on 08/16/2018: Vehicle was in motion each time, suddenly and without warning engine stopped, all warning lights lit up on dashboard and lost complete control of steering, speed control. Wheels locked up and almost caused multiple accidents. Had to pull over and turn on vehicle again.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Aug 312018

Escape

Was driving and power steering assist stopped working when pulling into a parking lot.. almost caused a accident.

- Clark, MO, USA

Sep 012018

Escape

Power steering elec assist went out and must use manual steering.

- Slidell, LA, USA

Jan 242018

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While driving 50 mph, the contact lost power steering ability without warning. The dealer (hub city Ford, 2909 nw evangeline throughway, lafayette, la 70507, (337) 233-4500) was contacted to schedule an appointment for repairs. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and informed the contact to call NHTSA to file a complaint. The failure mileage was 132,000.

- Washington, LA, USA

Sep 012018

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While driving at an unknown speed, the steering wheel became difficult to steer. The contact stated that the failure occurred intermittently. There was no warning indicator illuminated. The contact called bill brown Ford at (734) 399-4244 (located at 32222 Plymouth rd, livonia, mi 48150) and was informed that the repair for NHTSA campaign number: 14V28400 (steering) was a one time remedy. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and referred the contact to NHTSA. The approximate failure mileage was 112,000.

- Garden City, MI, USA

Aug 242018

Escape

When driving with my children the electronic power steering went out in my 2009 Ford Escape as I was passing a semi truck, causing me to nearly crash into a guard rail at 70mph on the highway. Upon research of my vehicle I found that there is a recall on my vehicle for this and Ford is refusing to make the repair. This is my only vehicle used to support my family.

- Volant, PA, USA

Aug 192018

Escape

As I was driving down the freeway my vehicles power steering went out and went to manual control and I had my grandchildren in the vehicle at the time. After doing some research I found out that there had been a recall for this issue but only on models out of Kansas City plant. Aparently this isn't the case, after research there has been hundreds if not thousands of complaints with the same issue and told the same thing by Ford that it's not covered unless it came from Kansas City plant. This repair cost me 2,228 dollars and only 249 dollars was labor. The one part from the Ford dealer was 1564 which should have been covered since Ford knows this is a known issue. I also had to replace my ignition switch because it caused it to have an issue.

- Manchaca, TX, USA

Jul 312018

Escape

A loss of power steering occurs while driving and when parked. I'm extremely concerned this will happen on a major highway and put my family and other drivers at risk.

- Islip Terrace, NY, USA