Aug 222019

Escape

Car steering wheel is hard to steer regardless of speed but it started at low speed. Steering wheel will eventually lock.

- Victoria, TX, USA

Aug 262019

Escape

Power steering just suddenly quit working and is very difficult to maneuver/ turn. This appears to be a very common problem, and is dangerous. Why is it not recalled?

- Chapin, SC, USA

Apr 022019

Escape

The electric steering decides when it wants to work. I will turn my car on and I wont be able to steer it without a lot of effort. But sometimes its completely fine and steers with no problem. I have to turn my car on and off multiple times to try to get the steering to work and it still wont work.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Apr 132019

Escape

It is very difficult, almost impossible to turn the vehicle when stopped, still difficult to steer when moving but not as bad. Maybe 1 out of 20 days the steering is normal but it is very rare.

- Valdese, NC, USA

Jul 282019

Escape

Steering has completely frozen during operation making controlling the vehicle virtually impossible. I'm absolutely petrified to drive my vehicle. These problems are very irresponsible on Ford behalf. On a straight road traveling about 25-30 mph. Next I had a left turn coming and my steering wheel failed to turn, and almost ran into another vehicle head on. To say I'm petrified of my vehicle at this point is a gross understatement.

- Harlan, KY, USA

Jul 172019

Escape

My 19 year old daughter was driving her 2009 Ford Escape on a rural road when the power steering just completely stopped working. She pulled to side of road and called her dad. He told her to shut the engine off and wait a few minutes and restart. When she did this the power steering was functioning normal. A few miles down the road it went out again. She is a very petite less than 100 pound girl with multiple health issues. She could not steer the vehicle at all. Her dad and I were out of town and she was stranded. A friend came and drove the car home. Power steering repeatedly goes in and out which is an extreme safety issue!

- Kings Mountain, KY, USA

Jan 072019

Escape

The power steering does not work and we have seen where a lot of these same vehicles have had the same problem. Why is there not a recall on these.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Jul 032019

Escape

Electric power steering just stops working at start up or driving works about 3/4 of the time so you dont know when its going to quit working not much fun on a high way or in town driving. Had it tested told its fine but it is a problem for a lot of owns of this thing. Seems Ford dosnt think so. It started acting up about a mouth ago.

- Marshfield, WI, USA

Jul 022019

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 40 mph, the steering wheel shook and the steering lost power without warning. The vehicle was taken to sunrise Ford (877-461-1956, located at 16005 valley blvd, fontana, ca 92335) where a diagnostic test was recommended. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 169,000.

- Fontana, CA, USA

Jun 252019

Escape

Failure of power steering less than 1 year after replacement of steering torque sensor at random start up.

- Hudson, NH, USA

Feb 142019

Escape

Power steering torque rotation sensor. The steering is hard to turn the vehicle while driving. While driving, the steering all of a sudden can become hard to turn the vehicle. The recall for some reason is not on my vehicle but on some of the same model. Ford has a recall 14S05 but Ford says my vehicle doesn't fall under the recall.

- Greer, SC, USA

Jun 262019

Escape

Steering freezes upon start up. Was able to rest at multiple times and power steering kicked in for the last several months. Today this happened and took over 30 minutes of restarting to kick in, but then it also locked back up several miles down the road as I was driving.

- St Marys, GA, USA

Apr 172019

Escape

On April 15, 2019, we purchased the used 2009 Ford Escape with less than 33,000 miles. Our teenage daughter drove it to work on April 17, 2019 with no noticeable issues, and when she was on her way home, she noticed something was wrong with the Escape. The steering wheel was getting more difficult for her to move as she was leaving work and coming home. We had purchased the Escape only 2 days prior, so we called the dealership which said there had been no known issues, of coarse. We took the Escape to a local Ford dealer who informed me the computer had been reset for this issue in 2014, when a recall was issued. He said as tight as the steering was, it was definitely unsafe to drive. They tried resetting it again with no improvements at all. Entire steering column had to be replaced. I was given an estimate then. This could have caused our daughter to have an accident from my understanding. We had to pay for the repair work, but was notified from the repair man that a recall had been issued in 2014 for this reason. I have spoken with several representatives today, and one informed me that this Escape was not included in the recall, even though it has had the same issues as others in the 2008-2011 range. I understand the VIN number was run and they said no issues with this vehicle, but I have the repair work to prove it did. So I would like this to be researched further if possible, with this happening, why was it not included in the recall" reimbursed? one representative informed me that this Escape was not manufactured in the location the others were on the recall list so the recall did not include this particular vehicle, yet it had the exact same issue?" this makes no sense to me. Thank you

- Canton, NC, USA

Jun 082019

Escape

Electronic power steering assist cuts out. Have to restart the engine and it starts working. Has not cut out while driving yet.

- Fenton, MI, USA

Jun 092019

Escape

The power steering locks up and makes it very difficult to turn the car. After a review online I see multiple issues with the Escape having this problem and the steering is electric so no fluid can be put in the car. I was parked and started the car and when I went to back out it was difficult to turn the wheel. I tried turning of the car and restarting but it was still the same. On a side note I just purchased this vehicle 06/06/19 from a small dealership for my daughter. It did not have any issues for the first three days of driving it.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Dec 172018

Escape

Experienced power steering cutting out intermittently while driving, especially when parking. When this occurred, vehicle was difficult to maneuver at speeds less than 15 mph. Dealer notes "replaced steering torque angle sensor" for code P2278. VIN was not included in recall of 2008-2011 Ford Escapes experiencing this issue.

- Saint Paul, MN, USA

Apr 012019

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the steering wheel seized with no warning. The vehicle had to be turned off and restarted to reset the computer due to the eps failure. The contact was uncertain if the eps warning indicator may flash in the event of the failure with the steering wheel. Apple Ford Lincoln apple valley (6961, 7200 150th St w, apple valley, mn 55124, (952) 204-9657) indicated that the vehicle would need to be scheduled for an appointment, the steering column would need to be removed for further testing and diagnosis which had not been authorized as of yet. An independent mechanic was to test and diagnose the eps failure. The manufacturer excluded the VIN from NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering) however the vehicle exhibited the same failure as the recall campaign, was notified of the failure and provided no assistance. The approximate failure mileage was not available.

- Savage, MN, USA

May 012019

Escape 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. While driving 40 mph, the steering seized. The contact had to use excessive force to steer the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to huntington Ford Lincoln (333 w jericho turnpike, huntington, NY 11743, (833) 386-3267) where it was diagnosed that the housing and column assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in a recall. The failure mileage was approximately 40,800.

- Plainview, NY, USA

Jan 152019

Escape

Complete loss of power steering during any point in driving.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Apr 202019

Escape

Electronic power steering will not engage every time the car is started.

- Garnet Valley, PA, USA