Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 Ford Escape:

Jun 182019

Escape

I took my 2018 Ford Escape with 28500 miles into the dealership on 5/6/19 due to a coolant leak. At that time, they replaced the oil cooler asy. On 6/18/19 with 30700 miles, it was back in for the same issue and deemed unsafe to drive. It has been sitting at the dealership torn apart for over 2 months now due to backordered parts. First it was the engine, then a gasket, and just this week another part! after one month of waiting, I called Ford Motor Co and reported a claim. Since then, every week I am passed on to another person with no answers for me. Each one says they will get back to me in 24hrs or within a week whether they have any new information or not and those have all been broken promises. I've been told my vehicle does not qualify for a buy back program with no reason given. When asked for a reason, I have been told to reference my states lemon law guidelines. The customer service regarding this issue has been absolutely terrible.

- Peosta, IA, USA

Aug 122019

Escape

Problem started when the engine was running rough occasionally. Especially when starting. Almost stalled. Then the car started over heating occassionally. Finally the check engine light came on. Had the code checked. Misfire in cyclinder 1. also when it overheated we checked the coolant, the resevor was empty. We added the proper amount of coolant. 2 days later it was empty. But no sign of leak. Took to dealer and they said there is a manufactur defect where there is a crack by the cyclinders and coolant is leaking into the oil. Needed a new engine.

- Fowlerville, MI, USA

Jul 022019

Escape

2018 head gasket at 23000 miles was told in the shop at shezzy Ford that they had three more in the shop for the same thing. That there was a problem with them. Car be driven on interstate check engine came on the pulled codes misfire cold start. Lose of power

- Richmond, VA, USA

Aug 252018

Escape

I purchased a brand new 2018 Ford Escape in January of 2018 for which I paid in full.on 8-25-18 the check engine warning appeared on my dash while driving on an expressway.I took it in for service and was informed that it needs a new engine due to an internal oil leak which warped the cylinder head. I didn't get my car back until 9-22-18.on March 2, 2019 I had to pull off to the side of the road while driving on a city street because I heard a very loud noise and there was a distinct odor of burnt rubber.the car was towed to the dealership and was there for five days.the diagnosis: Bad wires, bad transfer case and front drive shaft leaking grease. An issue with the 4wheel drive system.on May 22, 2019 the check engine light came up once again.this time: A cracked spark plug which came with the new engine installed in August 2018. On July 11, 2019 driving on the expressway, warning appeared on my dash "engine too hot". it was late evening, after service hours.therefore I drove it there the following morning to be told that I need to leave it, but they don't have a loaner car for me. I had to drive off in my car because of my responsibilities and could not be without a vehicle. Was forced to drive with my windows open (obviously couldn't use ac). My first opportunity to return to the service department was on 7-15-19. I complained to the manager regarding the situation when I initially came in a few days ago.he assured me he will have a loaner vehicle for me.today, on 7-31 I finally received a voice message from the manager (only because I initiated this by calling and leaving him a message earlier inquiring about my vehicle an wondering why I haven't heard anything).the information I received was that my car needs an engine replacement (again).parts have been ordered but are on backorder. They will keep me up to date.I will never feel safe in this vehicle!

- River Grove, IL, USA

Jun 142019

Escape

The contact owns a 2018 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the check engine indicator illuminated when the vehicle was started and the vehicle hesitated. The vehicle was taken to frederick Ford (302-629-4553, located at 26905 sussex hwy, seaford, de 19973) where it was diagnosed that cylinder number three misfired (codes: PO316 and PO303). The technician also stated that cylinders three and four operated as designed. The failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the same dealer where a misfire on cylinder number three was diagnosed again. The vehicle was scheduled for a fuel injector replacement. The failure recurred and the vehicle was taken back to the same dealer who diagnosed that the engine temperature was approximately 130 degrees. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures. After consultation with the dealer, the contact was informed to return the vehicle to the seller (pittsville Ford, 877-760-5870, located at 34690 old ocean city rd, pittsville, md 21850) for a buy back. The vehicle was taken back to the seller and the contact was informed that the engine may need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired or replaced. The contact was provided a loaner vehicle by the seller. The failure mileage was 18,620.

- Millsboro, DE, USA

Nov 142018

Escape

2018 Ford Escape with around 10,000 miles started having engine trouble while driving on the highway. Engine light came on and was taken directly to a Ford dealership to diagnose the issue. They stated that coolant is leaking into the cylinders. They did a coolant pressure system test and replaced a spark plug. After receiving the vehicle back and only driving about 300 miles, the same issue happened and the check engine light came back on. Took back to the dealership for repair. This time they replaced the head gasket on one side only. After receiving the vehicle back and driving it for about 1,500 miles, the same issue happened and the check engine light came on again. Took back to dealership on 4/3/19 and as of today, 6/26/19, it still remains in the shop. They have been trying to replace the entire engine but are having difficulty for some reason. This engine is faulty and could cause a fire if the problem continues to remain. Ford corporate has been no help in resolving this or providing useful solutions and answers. The vehicle has been in the shop for over 100 days.

- Centennial, CO, USA

Jun 042019

Escape

I got the vehicle back in late January early February of 2019. In April, the check engine light came on for a cylinder 3. brought the car to get fixed on 4/25 a week after the check engine light came back on in which the Ford dealership was surprised due to the fact that 6 cylinders and sensors were fixed. I was giving the vehicle back with the check engine light still on and memorial day weekend came along and they stated that the car now needs a new engine and didnt want to provide a loaner vehicle even tho its covered under warranty. 6/4/2019 I was left stranded with the car overheating and engine seized up.

- Southbridge, MA, USA

May 292019

Escape

With only 18,000 miles on my car, the check engine light came on and it overheated. The dealership misdiagnosed the problem after having the vehicle for 2 weeks. Within a day of me having it back, the same thing happened again. This time, the dealership had the vehicle for over 2 months because parts to rebuild the engine were on backorder. Once I received the vehicle back, it never drove the same but I lived with it. Here I am 3 months later and the check engine light is on again! Ford should be ashamed. Will never purchase another Ford again in my life.

- Rising Sun, MD, USA

Apr 072019

Escape

I leased my first new car on January 29, 2018. Starting in April of 2019 my vehicle has failed to start on numerous occasions. I took it to the dealership where I bought iat and they cannot replicate the issue. It won't start when the vehicle is stationary. Yesterday it happened when I put the transmission in reverse (something new). After putting the car in reverse, it stopped and the display said "transmission not in park". this happened again today. It has stalled and refused to start in my garage, on a city street and in a parking lot. It is very scary - especially when I had my two grandchildren with me.

- Northfield, MN, USA

May 122019

Escape

Brake and accelerator did not work after a sudden stop on the signal light (on a slop, entrance of a highway). After the stop, my car started rollling backward, neither brake or accelerator could stop the backward rolling. I have to use the emergency brake to stop the car to avoid crash with the car behind me. This is the second time. Last time I was on the entrance of a highway, about to accelerate, but suddenly the car lost its power, the accelerator didn┐T work. But that time brake was working.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Aug 152018

Escape

The contact owns a 2018 Ford Escape. The contact stated that a number #1 cylinder head was blown on the engine from being overheated. The check engine warning light illuminated. The dealer sheehy Ford of ashland (11450 Washington hwy, ashland, va 23005 (804) 242-0391) changed the coil and the check engine warning light unilluminated. The vehicle hesitated when the contact depressed on the accelerator pedal and the check engine warning light illuminated. In addition, the contact smelled antifreeze when she was driving. The contact took the vehicle back to the dealer again and they noticed the coolant was low and was leaking into the engine thus cracking the cylinder. The dealer stated that they would contact the manufacturer before they will repair the vehicle. The failure mileage was 18,000.

- Ruther Glen, VA, USA

Apr 292019

Escape

With 10 months of ownership and approximately 13,000 miles the head gasket blew at the number 1 cylinder causing coolant to burn in the engine and oil to be released into the intake and exhaust systems. Additionally, there is a body rattle on the right side of the vehicle somewhere near the rear passenger door. Repair shop is unable to locate the source of the noise.

- Apo, AE, USA

Jul 232018

Escape

While traveling in a rotary our car was struck violently by a vehicle on the left trying to make an incorrect exit. The impact was hard enough to cause the engine to stop operating resulting in a total loss of steering land braking. Because of no power, the steering did not respond nor did the brakes. The damage to the car was primarily cosmetic and little mechanical damage. The airbags did not deploy and if the car had remained in control it could have been stopped before it proceeded into the oncoming land causing damage to this vehicle and the one that was hit. If there is some type of device to turn an engine off when hit with all of our power steering and brakes this is a problem when the vehicle is still operable.

- Harwich, MA, USA

Dec 082018

Escape

Engine cylinder#2 coolant leak on 2018 Ford Escape with only 7,865 miles on it and almost caused a crash on the freeway. Had problems for weeks rough idling, stall warning code P0302 and then it started to overheat for 10-15 seconds daily. Once it overheated it would always throttle back my engine. Case in point I was going 70mph when it overheated and it decelerated to 20mph in less than 10 seconds and couldn't accelerate to get out of the other cars way going 70 plus mph swerving around me to pull over and almost got into a crash on the 4 lane freeway not good. Finally took it in with it overheated twice on the way to the dealership. After days of teardown the dealership said I needed a new engine due to a coolant leak into the #2 cylinder caused major damage beyond economical repair per their checklist. The dealership tried to get a shot block engine but went backorder none available in the system due to the high demand for this engine. Had to get Ford to approve a long block they could get locally. Now waiting on the replacement engine to arrive and be installed 11 days later. I see from others this is a known problem on this new vehicle with 1 in 5 engines needing full engine replacement at the 5000-7000 miles mark. Assuming they use the same oem engine this will come back in another 5-7K miles. I have lost all confidence in the vehicle to stay drivable and safe to drive for more than a few months..

- Queen Creek, AZ, USA

Sep 202018

Escape

The contact owns a 2018 Ford Escape. While driving 40 mph, the check engine warning indicator illuminated and an abnormal sound was heard. The contact called metro Ford Chicago at (773) 776-7600 (located at 6455 S western ave, Chicago, il 60636) and was informed to schedule an appointment. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the oil was uncovered and spilled all over the engine, which caused the engine to fail. The engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 1,200.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Sep 032018

Escape 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2018 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced a loss of engine power. As a result, the contact experienced a collision with a tree. A police report was not filed. The failure occurred without warning. The vehicle was taken to lugoff Ford (located at 979 us-1, lugoff, SC), but the failure could not be duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and did not assist. The contact was advised not to operate a vehicle with less than a quarter tank of fuel. There were no injuries. The failure mileage was approximately 7,000. Consumer stated car was repaired 12/03/18

- Camden, SC, USA

Aug 302018

New vehicle and engine overheating at 25K

- Southgate, MI, USA

May 232018

Escape

Purchased Nov 2017- on May 23rd, 2018 my check engine light came on. I contacted services at the Ford dealer the following morning. I was at the dealer first thing Tuesday morning due to the holiday weekend, where they ran diagnostics on my vehicle. I was informed that it needed a new engine. The engine coolant had mixed with oil and was in the 2nd compression cylindar and a bulletin that this was the steps to be taken to rectify the situation. The engine was replaced with the same engine model as the original with no modification that rectify the manufacture defect I was informed their statistics indicate that 1 in 5 of these vehicles are returning for a second new engine on June 12th, I got the call that my engine had been replaced and it was ready for pick up. I drove it home that evening as well as, to and from work Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Three days is all it took at about 25 miles a day, Friday night on my way home from work the car started shaking on a busy section of the highway, (93sb between 293 and exit 5) where there is construction and little to no pull off points, my speed drops down to 20miles per hour and when I tried to accelerate that engine just raced. I almost get hit as two cars swerve to miss me at high speeds, thankful they were awake at the wheel during rush hour. I managed to get off the next exit and pull into a parking lot. Shut off the vehicle. I'm 2 miles from home and after waiting for the traffic to drop a bit from people trying to get home I take the back roads at 20mph the rest of the way home. The cars engine would race when I stopped and slowly accelerate to 20 shaking along the way. Services stated the computer needed to be replaced on Monday morning. This does not qualify for lemon law due to being out of the vehicle for under 30 business days however, this is a significant safety issue that needs attention.

- Derry, NH, USA

Jun 062018

Escape

My 2018 Ford Escape engine light came on. I took it to the dealership to have it checked. They put a machine on it and said you need a new engine. I went to see my salesman and he was not in. I called the next day and told him about my Escape. I told him I would not feel safe in it now. He said there was nothing they could do. I called Ford Motor Company and they started a case file on it. Ford said that I need to pick up my Escape when it is ready and drive it for at least 5 days, again I told them I didn┐T feel safe. The case worker said that is how they do things. I am scheduled to pick it up today Thursday. June 14, 2018 by 8:00 pm. I have only made 5 payments on the Escape. I would like to change my out my lease. The dealership said it would cost me a lot of money to do that. The reasons I get leased cars because they are new and shouldn┐T need to be at service after the first 5 months of driving it.

- Shelby Twp, MI, USA