8.5

$2,287.00

Most common solutions:

1. ford needs to recall their faulty transmission (117 reports)
  3. complete rebuild (78 reports)
  4. new tranmission (46 reports)
  5. new solenoid, pistol in tranny broken (11 reports)
  6. new solenoid (4 reports)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

Jun 042011

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4

BOUGHT THIS BEAUTIFULLY CLEAN FORD EXPLORER 4X4 EDDIE BAUER, TOTALLY LOADED, LESS THAN ONE YEAR AGO W/@ 150k MILES. TRANSMISSION HAD BEEN REPLACED AT 129127 MILES. NOW HAVE 174k MILES ON IT AND IT NEEDS ANOTHER TRANSMISSION. ALSO REPLACED AT LEAST TWICE: BOTH REAR WHEEL HUBS/BEARINGS, FRONT WHEEL BEARINGS, RIGHT FRONT WINDOW ACTUATOR/MOTOR...AMAZING HOW MANY OF THESE 2002 FORD EXPLORERS ARE TOTAL JUNK IN THE TRANSMISSION! FORD PLEASAE DO THE RIGHT THING, BE AMERICAN HEROES, AND HELP US OUT!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Hendersonville, TN, USA

Aug 302011

Explorer

plz gve me the answer becs my car od light is blinking some time while running

- , Asian, Yes, India

May 062011

Explorer XLT V6

Already had the Solenoid Body and Reverse Servo Piston Assembly replaced when under warranty by a Ford Dealer. Now O/D Light continually flashes and slips while shifting from 2nd - 3rd gear. I have already had major transmission repair on this SUV as noted above ~ it's crazy that it is broken again and that so MANY others are having the SAME issue. OBVIOUSLY FAULTY EQUIPMENT was put out by FORD!

- , D'Iberville, MS, USA

May 192011

Explorer XLS

While driving the OD light began to flash in and out, had Advance Auto to put it on the computer and the results showed replace whole transmission, took to Ford and tramsmission could not be overhauled need a brand new one. This is awful, not a good choice fo a truck had no warning transmission was bad until od light began to flash.. Please don't invest your money in a Ford Explorer, replaced wheel bearrings and calibers. Service engine, door a jar and, abs lights continue to stay on . I'm going back to Buick next time for a car. Never agaun Ford you need to do a recall on you Ford Explorer 2002.

- , Memphis, TN, USA

May 052011

Explorer V8

I feel the car dealership knew the problem! First it was the power steering pump (that took 4 months to repair) then the CD player (that never got repaired), and now the damn transmission! I only had this vehicle for 5 months and already transmission failure! The mechanic who works for the dealership has not picked the truck up yet and it has been over two weeks. They waited until last week to tell me that plenty of the Explorers they have sold have been having transmission problems. Now you tell me this bull! This is ridiculous and they think I am gonna pay $1600 for a rebuilt one, they must be crazy! I have learned my lesson never to get a vehicle from S&B in Sumter, SC

- , Sumter, SC, USA

May 242011

Explorer Eddie Bauer

I purchased my 02 Explorer just 3 months ago. It was such a great buy at the time. Three months later I was driving home from work and the OD light started blinking fast, and the check transmission light came on. 2 min later it felt like it was skipping. I feel as if I was gypped This is like a wolf in sheeps clothing. The SUV looks great but smells like crap. FORD needs to fix this problem and quit making us poor folk deal with it. I have 3 kids and now no ride. That sucks!

- , Fair Play, SC, USA

Mar 302011

Explorer XLT 4.6L V8

Last month I had to replace the intake manifold. So imagine my discontent when I pull away from the gas station and my car does not want to shift into 2nd gear. The RPM's at 4 and the only way I can drive the car is to take my foot off the gas pedal (thank God for downhill driving). Oh, and that dreaded O/D light is flickering away.

I just called my mechanic and am waiting for the bad news. I will repost what I discover.

- , Los Angeles, CA, USA

Feb 172011

Explorer XLT 4.0L

Went our of town last week and got about 100 miles away from home when the O/D light started flashing. I was running 65mph in cruise control and the truck went from 2200rpms up to 3000rpms and continued back and fourth. Shut cruise off, dropped down to 50mph and turned around to limp home. Dropped off at my local shop to check. Computer scan codes P0732, P0735 and P0775 came up (Gear#2 and Gear#5 Incorrect Ratio and Pressure Control Solenoid B Malfunction. The shop dug into the problem and as it turned out the truck had a bad Servo Piston Assy. Cost of repair was $600.00. After reading some of the stories here I felt kinda lucky. Not sure if I will buy Ford again or not. Will see.

- , Lake Zurich, IL, USA

Jan 212010

Explorer XLS 4.0L

I have had nothing but problems with my 2002 ford explorer xls"TRANSMISSION'!!!!!, It even had the wrong torque converter in it!!!!! I have had the transmission overhauled 2 times!!!!! I purchased the vehicle in good belief it was a good vehicle !!!!! The sales man told me it was a fine unit !!!!! I feel that i was done nothing but lied too !!!!!! I am disabled on a fixed income and put out nothing but money on this vehicles transmission !!!!! estell bailey,Norman, Oklahoma.

- , Tribbey, OK, USA

Apr 282011

Explorer

All that I can say is that Ford knows that its a problem with the transmission. o/d light is on & making loud noises. contacted Ford after seeing all the complaints with the same problem I'm having. They tell me Aw there are no recalls on it, there's nothing we can do. If you ask me that's BS cause I feel they should at least fix the problem or give us a discount .

Never Again

- , Antioch, TN, USA

Nov 242004

Explorer XLT 4.0L

its some bs everyone i know who has had or does have a ford explorer has had trans problems and ford want help anyone... when they have put faulty trans in there autos i have had a ford f150 a ford Taurus and this ford explorer xlt and everyone of them have had tranmission problems....wonder why people are buying cars from over seas is because we get junk from here i will NEVER NEVER NEVER buy a junky ford again in my life and willllll not let my family buy one either ford stands for found on the road dead for sure... a ford vehicle is a wast of money no one should spend there hard earned money on one EVER..... to helll with ford...

- , Old Hickory, TN, USA

Apr 022011

Explorer XLT 4.0L

I do not understand they say this is a common problem with the early 2000 explorers so why haven't they recalled it to fix the problem. they want 3000 dollars to replace the transmission like people just walking around with that kind of money to throw away. Some people say you just need to replace the solenoid pack but its hard to find someone to just replace that and that's like 650 itself and there is nothing saying 100 percent that that;s going to fix it. It's just crazy to me now I have to come up with all this money to fix it so my family can go where they need to go. This is why non American made cars sell better they have less problems like this.

Update from Jan 1, 2013: MY truck is not a 2002 it is 2003

- , Jacksonville, NC, USA

Mar 272011

Explorer XLS 4.0L V6

I was driving home from work last night, 3-27-11, and I noticed that my O/D OFF light was blinking. However, there didn't seem to be any problems, and I figured it was something with the wiring, considering that my Door Ajar light will not go out even though all my doors and the hatch are properly closed. I drove about 60 miles with the light blinking until I came to a stop at the end of the exit I needed. When I accelerated after the stop, the Explorer kicked violently after accelerating past 30 mph. The real problem came when I tired to go to school this morning, 3-28-11, and the Explorer began kicking after every gear shift, and I eventually could not make the vehicle go very fast at all. I read in the manual that if the light is blinking, it means that there is a problem, and it should be seen immediately. Immediately in my area means waiting four days for the only mechanic. Thanks Ford. I've replaced both wheel assemblies in the rear TWICE, both in the front, only once. I've had both rear wheels fall off while driving. I'm glad Ford cares enough about their customers to furnish them with caskets.

- , Meyersdale, PA, USA

Mar 272011

Explorer

Bought my 2002 Explorer brand new. This past week my O/D light started blinking and I notice when it automatically shifts it is not as smooth as it used be. Taking it to the mechanic tomorrow..worried that I am going to hear "new transmission".

- , Sacr, CA, USA

Dec 082010

Explorer XLT 4.6L V8

Like so many others with this make and model, I was driving peaceably along one day when the o/d light came on and started blinking rapidly. Within minutes, the car began to have difficulty shifting gears and accelerating. Finally there were several ominous thunks from the rear of the vehicle. It all happened so fast that I'm still boggled. The initial diagnosis is that the transmission needs to be overhauled. This seems utterly ridiculous in a car with 89,000 gently applied miles. At the suggestion of fordcomplaints.com, I called Ford's customer care line to see if any courtesy discounts are available. Given how widespread the complaint seems to be (particularly for 2002 Explorers) and the rotten market for American cars right now, you would think the company would take care of their loyal customers. Nope. The repair will cost me a stomach churning $3000 out of pocket: almost half the vehicle's current Blue Book value. Yikes!

I will be registering complaints with this site, with the Center for Auto Safety, with NHTSA and with Ford itself. I suggest anyone with this problem (transmission failure in a Ford Explorer from the early 2000s) do the same. Maybe together we can get Ford to take responsibility!

- , Clarksville, TN, USA

Mar 142011

Explorer 4.0L

Brought the Ford Explorer previously own in 2004 with 29,000 miltes on it. Have not had any trouble with the transmission until 3/14/2011. Service engine soon light came on when I started the vehicle and did not go out as I was backing out of the driveway. As I put the vehicle in drive and started accelerating, the O/D off light started flashing and was not shifting out of 1st gear. Engine was racing, then transmission shifted up with a jerk. There wasn't any metallic noises just a whine and then it shifted up. Drove about 12 miles to work okay, but each time I had to accelerate from a stop the same situation happened. Was told by the Dealership Service Dept. that a lotl of codes came up, indicating internal damaged to the case, recommended a new transmission at a cost of $6300.00 dollars. Did not authorized repair, picked up Explorer and drove it home.

- , Orlando, FL, USA

Feb 162011

Explorer XLT 3.6L V8

I'm with the rest of the world who drives a Ford anything. If the problem continues I think FMC should be responsible for the operation of their vehicles and they see its a problem. Why not help the people who are making them rich.

- , Detroit, MI, USA

Jun 202010

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

I have a 2002 Ford explorer. I have had it for five years i just paid it off, 16,000 dollar car that's hardly worth anything now the o/d light flickers from time to time especially when I go up hill or go on long drives when the o/d light comes on the car runs like crap. it slows down and push on the gas and it doesn't want to go any faster. but when i shut the car off and turn it back on it runs ok. I'm confused, I think there's something wrong with my transmission. If i knew what i know now i would have never bought this pile of sh*t. worst mistake of my life.

- , Oroville, CA, USA

Mar 072011

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

Transmission needs to be recalled. Far too many brakedowns to be a coincidence.

- , Baldwin, KS, USA

Oct 112010

Explorer

In oct of 2010 the o/d light was flashing and would not turn off. Even if I turned the car off and turned it back on the light would continue to flicker. Then at around 25 miles and hour the car started to jerk forward. I went to the station the next day. While driving to the station at around 25 miles an hour it started to go into neutral then would throw us forward when it kicked into gear. At the station they did a system check and they said "it didn't look good". They sent me to "Quality Transmission" the next town up from us. Quality Transmission confirmed the transmission failed. The owner said would you like a new transmission or a remanufactured one. Since the engine failed on the 2002 Explorer a year and a half ago, we decided to get a new one to the tune of $3,114.50. 3months and 3,000 miles later the exact same thing happened. Quality transmission sent us to the ford dealership even though we paid quality transmission. I have found from the dealership that not only was the transmission NOT new (and we requested a new one) but they cannot take the car for 5 days and the warranty does not give a loaner car and will not pay for a rental. Quality Transmission has over 3,000dollars and the ford dealership will be paid from Ford to replace the 3 month old transmission and I will not have a car for at least 12 days and I'm out over 3,000 miles and absolutely no customer satisfaction. Will this happen again in another 3 months?

- , Brookfield, CT, USA