8.5

$2,287.00

Most common solutions:

1. ford needs to recall their faulty transmission (117 reports)
  3. complete rebuild (78 reports)
  4. new tranmission (46 reports)
  5. new solenoid, pistol in tranny broken (11 reports)
  6. new solenoid (4 reports)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

Oct 102008

Explorer XLT 4.0L

I only had mine for one year and the transmission problems started to surface. Flashing O/D light continues. I can't afford to pay the $1000's its going to take to get it to a reasonable condition to drive. Still have another year to go on payments and I am stuck with a piece of crap that nobody is going to want to buy so I HAVE to fix it. Problem is how does a single parent afford to do this? I really had confidence in the Explorers after owning a 97 and getting numerous positive reports from the guys that maintenance it. I really hope Ford will finally do what's right.

Update from Feb 25, 2011: put in a remanufactured selenoid and now it's worse than it was before. bought it on ebay. can't get the seller to respond. would like to know more about where this part came from and there's any others with similar results or where to even go from here... light stays on all the time now where before it only came on some of the time. ....

- , Blomkest, MN, USA

Dec 302010

Explorer Limited 4.6L V8

The OD light began blinking in 2008 on my Explorer. I had 85,000 miles on the rig and it was not quite paid for yet. I figured that since I wasn't quite done paying off the vehicle, it made more sense to pay $3000 to have it replaced. I was under the impression that I was getting a re manufactured transmission which would carry a decent warranty. It was back in the shop (at a Ford dealership) four times to get all the "bugs" worked out.

More recently, I was towing a light trailer across the state of Washington to go pick up a motorcycle. December 30, 2010 to be exact. I was in the middle of the state and the OD light began blinking while just traveling down the highway. I pulled in to the first town I came to and found the Ford dealer. I explained the symptoms to them and they assured me that the transmission had internal problems. I asked about a warranty that would crossover. They looked at the paperwork and informed me that for $300 more they could have put in a new transmission which would carry a 100,000 mile warranty. Sadly, my warranty was on 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty. For about $3000 they could replace my transmission but it would take about a week. I needed to get to the other side of the state that day. I traded in my broken Explorer and bought a 2005 Dodge Durango. This was a $15,995 repair to Fords problem!

- , Nine Mile Falls, WA, USA

Jan 102011

Explorer 4.0L V6

Hopped on-line to find out what the problem is, and I find nothing but consumer complaints about the exact problem I am having. No one has any antidote or reason explaining why it happens other than poor engineering by Ford, or simply the tyranny is fine, but it needs a rebuild anyway. Every other issue I have ever had with a car, when I looked it up, something always told me; who, what, why… Well we know why, FORD.

This problem came out of nowhere. I have always got some kind of warning when a tyranny needs service. Never just an immediate failure. O/D light just started blinking and now it’s slipping. I can see by reading all the posts that this is very common, even on brand new Fords. Bottom line….I was getting ready to get another SUV this week, and I figured another Explorer, but not after this. Now I know Ford will not back their trucks, so I won’t back them. Toyota time….

- , Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

Dec 122011

Explorer XLT V6

MY COMPLAINT IS THAT I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE PROBLEM IS. THE O/D LIGHT KEEPS BLINKING AND IT SEEMS LIKE 2ND OR 3RD GEAR HITS HARD WHEN IT SHIFTS. THIS CAR IS PAID OFF AND I DON'T KNOW IF IT IS WORTH TRYING TO FIX. BUT I DON'T WANT A CAR PAYMENT. LOST AND CONFUSED

- , Inglewood, CA, USA

Jan 272011

Explorer XLT V6

AFTER 122.000 miles o/d light is blinking and car drives about 20 miles per hour. Transmission is shot and needs to be replaced with a rebuilt transmission from ford costing only $3,600. Blue book says car is only worth $3500. Also in 2005, ford had to replace entire steering column because car would not shift gears. It is still difficult to change gears. I am the original owner that maintained the car by the book and for w-hat? Another useful site is www.fordproblems.com/Explorer/transmission-failure.shtml Ford customer service number is -1-800-392-3673 calll to see if you are under warranty. I just missed it by a few months.

- , Suwanee, GA, USA

Aug 122010

Explorer LX V6

O/D light blinking, need a solution for one of the many problems with this SUV

- , Gorham, Maine, USA

Jan 042011

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

Enough said on this issue in the forum regarding OD light blinking.

I agree with whomever wishes to start a formal legal complaint to FMC about the known issue that they clearly have chosen to ignore.

BTW...did you all know that FMC chose to eliminate the dipstick filler? What does this mean? As consumers, we are unable to check or a technician the level or condition of the tranny fluid. This is ridiculous!

I will help where I can, but I am not an attorney, but fairly well versed in vehicles as well have managed transmission repair centers in the past with my Father.

What say the rest of us?

- , Thomasville, NC, USA

Nov 062008

Explorer XLS 4.0L

I have a 2002 ford Explorer XLS and the O/D is always blinking every time my gear hang or climbing up a hill...this always happen when I climb a hill or when I go about 25 to 30 MPH the O/D light would start flickering...so when I shut down my car and start it back up the blinking light would disappear..I don't tow anything or abuse this car I actually baby..I had this car for about 5 years now since I was a junior in high school..all my friends that know about cars once told me that I need the tranny replaced and all that stuff..but i thought it was just the sensor cuz my gear is shifting fine.. but sometimes on 2nd to 3rd gear my RPM seems to be going past 3 grand which seems not normal...nice car to drive but has so many god damn problems to it..all I have to say that my Ford was once nice but now god damn junk..

- , Searsport, Maine, USA

Dec 302010

Explorer XLS 4.0L

I know that I am supposed to do this one complaint at a time but since I have seen everyone of these on the first 50 complaints I figured that it is truly a systemic Ford Issue.

Where do I begin?

First let me say that I have been a Blue Oval guy my whole life.

Until this weekend I thought that I had relatively small set of issues with my 2002 XLS Explorer. On a 500 mile one way trip for New Years the OD light started to flash. Earlier this summer while towing it happened once and never repeated.. Well this time it continued to flash even though the tranny was in 5th gear. After a short time the Check Engine soon light illuminated and we stopped to check all the obvious things. When I restarted and started driving again the OD Light stayed off but the CES light stayed on. I contacted a Ford dealer and told him of my situation (500 plus miles from home, holiday weekend, safety concerns, etc and was told basically “pound sand.”

A local family shop near Traverse City, MI was then contacted and the infamous code P0775 was in the computer. He could not locate any parts but told me I would probably make it home. He did not charge me anything for the diagnosis. I know that if the Ford Dealer had looked at it I would not have been so lucky! If you are ever in dire straits in the area look up TC Family Auto care in TC, MI.

We did make it home though the OD light did come back and the truck would not go into 5th gear for my wife. While I was driving I did get it to shift into 5th with very slow acceleration. That went over with limited approval from my fellow holiday travelers on the Illinois Tollway. Off to the local repair guy this week. Not a chance the Ford Dealership on Madison, WI’s Eastside is going to get their hands on my truck again. (Another Story).

Now for all the other little complaints that I have had that I did not realize were systemic to this vehicle. 1. 3 Rear Brake Calipers 2. 2 Broken Rear Coil Springs 3. 2 rear Wheel Bearings 4. 4X4 Controller (while truck under the Certified Ford Used Car Protection, denied of course. 5. Idler pulley, also denied as it wasn’t power train. Isn’t this thing bolted to the engine? 6. Intermittent Gas Gage and Odometer cluster. Luckily the odometer works when it’s cold outside and the gas gage works when it’s warm outside. 7. The Cruise Control recall that I haven’t even had done yet! 8. Door ajar light and interior lights stays when the car gets really damp. Yeah that never happens in WI in the winter, spring, summer or fall! 9. Windshield leaks

And to think I was actually going to look at the new 2011 Explorer.

- , Sun Prairie, WI, USA

Nov 182010

Explorer

I will never buy another ford. I also own a 2006 F150 and the transmission is slipping. I am trying to trade it in. Back to Chevy. The Explorer also has many electrical problems. The trim on the back panel door also has the crack along with every other explorer I see on the road. Ford lost me and I tell everyone of my problems. DO NOT BUY A FORD!!!!!!

- , Keller, TX, USA

Jan 042011

Explorer LXT 4.6L V8

Well the O/D light is blinking and the car feels heavy like I am pulling something. If someone has the same problem please contact me for any solution. Thank you for your time.

- , Brooklyn, New York, USA

Dec 102010

Explorer XLT V8

Ford is truly the devil and I will wait as long as I have to for the class action law suit. I was naive to think it was just my bad luck to have taken a loan for my 2002 Ford Explorer XLT in 2008, only to have a huge $3,000 transmission problem before I was even done paying the loan. I am more than angry, I am hostile and agitated over this issue. I am not a rich person who just can throw money away. I am a single mother, living on peanuts, I have a bachelors degree and am suffering in this economy as most of us are. My problem came out of no where. The truck was running fine until 12/10/10. First the "check transmission" sensor went on, then the O/D light started blinking and it was failing to switch into gear if I went over 40 miles and hour. On this day in Minnesota is was below zero temperatures and the Minnesota State Police had called a snow emergency so when I called AAA to tow me I was informed that it would be 5 hours before a tow truck would be able to get to me. When I realized that this issue was severe and would cost at least $3,000 to fix it brought me to tears. Realizing that I would still have to continue to pay the loan in spite of this, more tears. Realizing that almost every person with this model has had the same exact issue and Ford has failed to recall it brought me to ANGER. I walked 2 miles with a 9 year old child in below zero temperatures, spent all my money, and Ford is responsible? Ford could have prevented this or issued a recall? REALLY? Good ol' American Ford. As I sit here and read each and every story I wonder why we don't somehow all unite against the DEVIL THAT IS FORD MOTOR COMPANY? Lets fight for this! We can try doing it as individuals, each with our own story but if we unite we have a better chance. We can get justice and we can save others from making this same mistake and putting their hard earned money into a vehicle that will fail them in spite of their best efforts. I say we start a war, what do we have to lose? There has got to be some attorney out there that will see all of this and want to cash in. For me its not even about the money anymore. Its the principle.

- , Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Dec 012010

Explorer XLT 4.0L

Have to drive this truck like it's about to break down. Driving with overdrive off because of the blinking. Told by two mechanics will cost up to $5,000 to fix. Ford should have to pay for shoddy vehicles.

- , Readfield, Maine, USA

Dec 192010

Explorer V6

I have nothing but issue with this truck....I've had 3 fuel pump replaced, back axle/spring replaced, engine replaced, something with the brake wiring replaced, and now the darn o/d light is blinking and it feels like i'm pulling another car. I had the tran checked it turns out it's working properly. I'm hoping maybe I can get the o/d disconnected and hopefully the problem will go away. But reading all of these comments regarding the same issue is making me wonder...why was this not a recall. They recalled the hatch back! I'm sorry unless they offer a five year warranty and long term trans warranty...I can not think about buying another FORD.

- , Riverdale, IL, USA

Dec 012010

Explorer XLT 4.6 V6

My O/D on/off started flashing and the trans seems to be shifting hard in between 3rd and 4th gear. All seems okay besides that which after reading all the complaints of this problem, it could cost me me between 200 and 3500 dollars. What does it ,mean exactly. I mean what code is being revealed by the flashing light. No other lights are on, ie. check engine or whatnot. Please some advice if anybody out there has some.

- , Carmichael, CA, USA

Jun 202009

Explorer V6

I will never purchase a Ford again. I bought this SUV brand new off the show room floor. At 30,000 miles the transmission went out. Had it fixed. At 60,000 miles it went out again. Call Ford Motor Company and they didn't do a damn thing. So I had to anty up another three grand for a piece of ???????. Presently I have 70,000 miles on it, because I'm too afraid to drive it. What a waste of money.

DO NOT BUY A FORD EXPLORER

- , Chicao, IL, USA

Nov 282010

Explorer Sport 6cyl

I guess I'm not alone on this one. Driving the other night, my O/D light came on and was flashing for about 20 minutes. Once I turned the car off, the light stayed off until I hit a big bump then it came on again and was flashing. Next morning, the light was off. I drove about 15 miles and was climbing a hill; the tach was rising and my car started decelerating then I saw smoke in my rear view mirror. I pulled over and got the heck out of the car thinking it would catch on fire. Lots of transmission fluid was under the car when it was towed. Garage said they can't say if the trannie is bad or not, but recommended replacing the trans fluid and filters since they looked off color and the filter looked clogged. Said the dipstick was blown out and that's where the fluid came from. Will know tomorrow if changing the fluid and filter helped or if it will be a bigger problem. Fingers crossed, but after seeing this site, you guys have really ruined my night lol. Any luck contacting Ford?

- , Ithaca, NY, USA

Nov 132010

Explorer

I had the transmission fluid changed hoping it would make a difference. Well, it did. On the way home from the dealership, the "service engine soon" light came on. I have had nothing but trouble with this explorer.

- , Gautier, MS, USA

Jul 122010

Explorer XLT 6 cyc

Ford Dealer told me to take it a Transmission Shop about a half a mile form their Dealership. They came up with a problem code and said if Ford does not repair it they must replace the entire Transmission. Called Fords 800 number and received the run around; and its not our problem.

- , Pittsburgh, Penna, USA

Nov 162009

Explorer

I purchased this vehicle on 11/16/09 in after I purchased it they took it to the Chevy house NOT FORD to have it serviced. I had to take it back to put a new fan or something on it & they told me so did the ford place that the gears are spread to far apart and thats why it shifts hard along with everything else.

- , Idabel, OK, USA