8.5

$2,276.00

Most common solutions:

1. ford needs to recall their faulty transmission (116 reports)
  3. complete rebuild (78 reports)
  4. new tranmission (46 reports)
  5. new solenoid, pistol in tranny broken (11 reports)
  6. new solenoid (4 reports)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

Jan 272011

Explorer XLT V6

AFTER 122.000 miles o/d light is blinking and car drives about 20 miles per hour. Transmission is shot and needs to be replaced with a rebuilt transmission from ford costing only $3,600. Blue book says car is only worth $3500. Also in 2005, ford had to replace entire steering column because car would not shift gears. It is still difficult to change gears. I am the original owner that maintained the car by the book and for w-hat? Another useful site is www.fordproblems.com/Explorer/transmission-failure.shtml Ford customer service number is -1-800-392-3673 calll to see if you are under warranty. I just missed it by a few months.

- , Suwanee, GA, USA

Aug 122010

Explorer LX V6

O/D light blinking, need a solution for one of the many problems with this SUV

- , Gorham, Maine, USA

Jan 042011

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

Enough said on this issue in the forum regarding OD light blinking.

I agree with whomever wishes to start a formal legal complaint to FMC about the known issue that they clearly have chosen to ignore.

BTW...did you all know that FMC chose to eliminate the dipstick filler? What does this mean? As consumers, we are unable to check or a technician the level or condition of the tranny fluid. This is ridiculous!

I will help where I can, but I am not an attorney, but fairly well versed in vehicles as well have managed transmission repair centers in the past with my Father.

What say the rest of us?

- , Thomasville, NC, USA

Nov 062008

Explorer XLS 4.0L

I have a 2002 ford Explorer XLS and the O/D is always blinking every time my gear hang or climbing up a hill...this always happen when I climb a hill or when I go about 25 to 30 MPH the O/D light would start flickering...so when I shut down my car and start it back up the blinking light would disappear..I don't tow anything or abuse this car I actually baby..I had this car for about 5 years now since I was a junior in high school..all my friends that know about cars once told me that I need the tranny replaced and all that stuff..but i thought it was just the sensor cuz my gear is shifting fine.. but sometimes on 2nd to 3rd gear my RPM seems to be going past 3 grand which seems not normal...nice car to drive but has so many god damn problems to it..all I have to say that my Ford was once nice but now god damn junk..

- , Searsport, Maine, USA

Dec 302010

Explorer XLS 4.0L

I know that I am supposed to do this one complaint at a time but since I have seen everyone of these on the first 50 complaints I figured that it is truly a systemic Ford Issue.

Where do I begin?

First let me say that I have been a Blue Oval guy my whole life.

Until this weekend I thought that I had relatively small set of issues with my 2002 XLS Explorer. On a 500 mile one way trip for New Years the OD light started to flash. Earlier this summer while towing it happened once and never repeated.. Well this time it continued to flash even though the tranny was in 5th gear. After a short time the Check Engine soon light illuminated and we stopped to check all the obvious things. When I restarted and started driving again the OD Light stayed off but the CES light stayed on. I contacted a Ford dealer and told him of my situation (500 plus miles from home, holiday weekend, safety concerns, etc and was told basically “pound sand.”

A local family shop near Traverse City, MI was then contacted and the infamous code P0775 was in the computer. He could not locate any parts but told me I would probably make it home. He did not charge me anything for the diagnosis. I know that if the Ford Dealer had looked at it I would not have been so lucky! If you are ever in dire straits in the area look up TC Family Auto care in TC, MI.

We did make it home though the OD light did come back and the truck would not go into 5th gear for my wife. While I was driving I did get it to shift into 5th with very slow acceleration. That went over with limited approval from my fellow holiday travelers on the Illinois Tollway. Off to the local repair guy this week. Not a chance the Ford Dealership on Madison, WI’s Eastside is going to get their hands on my truck again. (Another Story).

Now for all the other little complaints that I have had that I did not realize were systemic to this vehicle. 1. 3 Rear Brake Calipers 2. 2 Broken Rear Coil Springs 3. 2 rear Wheel Bearings 4. 4X4 Controller (while truck under the Certified Ford Used Car Protection, denied of course. 5. Idler pulley, also denied as it wasn’t power train. Isn’t this thing bolted to the engine? 6. Intermittent Gas Gage and Odometer cluster. Luckily the odometer works when it’s cold outside and the gas gage works when it’s warm outside. 7. The Cruise Control recall that I haven’t even had done yet! 8. Door ajar light and interior lights stays when the car gets really damp. Yeah that never happens in WI in the winter, spring, summer or fall! 9. Windshield leaks

And to think I was actually going to look at the new 2011 Explorer.

- , Sun Prairie, WI, USA

Nov 182010

Explorer

I will never buy another ford. I also own a 2006 F150 and the transmission is slipping. I am trying to trade it in. Back to Chevy. The Explorer also has many electrical problems. The trim on the back panel door also has the crack along with every other explorer I see on the road. Ford lost me and I tell everyone of my problems. DO NOT BUY A FORD!!!!!!

- , Keller, TX, USA

Jan 042011

Explorer LXT 4.6L V8

Well the O/D light is blinking and the car feels heavy like I am pulling something. If someone has the same problem please contact me for any solution. Thank you for your time.

- , Brooklyn, New York, USA

Dec 102010

Explorer XLT V8

Ford is truly the devil and I will wait as long as I have to for the class action law suit. I was naive to think it was just my bad luck to have taken a loan for my 2002 Ford Explorer XLT in 2008, only to have a huge $3,000 transmission problem before I was even done paying the loan. I am more than angry, I am hostile and agitated over this issue. I am not a rich person who just can throw money away. I am a single mother, living on peanuts, I have a bachelors degree and am suffering in this economy as most of us are. My problem came out of no where. The truck was running fine until 12/10/10. First the "check transmission" sensor went on, then the O/D light started blinking and it was failing to switch into gear if I went over 40 miles and hour. On this day in Minnesota is was below zero temperatures and the Minnesota State Police had called a snow emergency so when I called AAA to tow me I was informed that it would be 5 hours before a tow truck would be able to get to me. When I realized that this issue was severe and would cost at least $3,000 to fix it brought me to tears. Realizing that I would still have to continue to pay the loan in spite of this, more tears. Realizing that almost every person with this model has had the same exact issue and Ford has failed to recall it brought me to ANGER. I walked 2 miles with a 9 year old child in below zero temperatures, spent all my money, and Ford is responsible? Ford could have prevented this or issued a recall? REALLY? Good ol' American Ford. As I sit here and read each and every story I wonder why we don't somehow all unite against the DEVIL THAT IS FORD MOTOR COMPANY? Lets fight for this! We can try doing it as individuals, each with our own story but if we unite we have a better chance. We can get justice and we can save others from making this same mistake and putting their hard earned money into a vehicle that will fail them in spite of their best efforts. I say we start a war, what do we have to lose? There has got to be some attorney out there that will see all of this and want to cash in. For me its not even about the money anymore. Its the principle.

- , Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Dec 012010

Explorer XLT 4.0L

Have to drive this truck like it's about to break down. Driving with overdrive off because of the blinking. Told by two mechanics will cost up to $5,000 to fix. Ford should have to pay for shoddy vehicles.

- , Readfield, Maine, USA

Dec 192010

Explorer V6

I have nothing but issue with this truck....I've had 3 fuel pump replaced, back axle/spring replaced, engine replaced, something with the brake wiring replaced, and now the darn o/d light is blinking and it feels like i'm pulling another car. I had the tran checked it turns out it's working properly. I'm hoping maybe I can get the o/d disconnected and hopefully the problem will go away. But reading all of these comments regarding the same issue is making me wonder...why was this not a recall. They recalled the hatch back! I'm sorry unless they offer a five year warranty and long term trans warranty...I can not think about buying another FORD.

- , Riverdale, IL, USA

Dec 012010

Explorer XLT 4.6 V6

My O/D on/off started flashing and the trans seems to be shifting hard in between 3rd and 4th gear. All seems okay besides that which after reading all the complaints of this problem, it could cost me me between 200 and 3500 dollars. What does it ,mean exactly. I mean what code is being revealed by the flashing light. No other lights are on, ie. check engine or whatnot. Please some advice if anybody out there has some.

- , Carmichael, CA, USA

Jun 202009

Explorer V6

I will never purchase a Ford again. I bought this SUV brand new off the show room floor. At 30,000 miles the transmission went out. Had it fixed. At 60,000 miles it went out again. Call Ford Motor Company and they didn't do a damn thing. So I had to anty up another three grand for a piece of ???????. Presently I have 70,000 miles on it, because I'm too afraid to drive it. What a waste of money.

DO NOT BUY A FORD EXPLORER

- , Chicao, IL, USA

Nov 282010

Explorer Sport 6cyl

I guess I'm not alone on this one. Driving the other night, my O/D light came on and was flashing for about 20 minutes. Once I turned the car off, the light stayed off until I hit a big bump then it came on again and was flashing. Next morning, the light was off. I drove about 15 miles and was climbing a hill; the tach was rising and my car started decelerating then I saw smoke in my rear view mirror. I pulled over and got the heck out of the car thinking it would catch on fire. Lots of transmission fluid was under the car when it was towed. Garage said they can't say if the trannie is bad or not, but recommended replacing the trans fluid and filters since they looked off color and the filter looked clogged. Said the dipstick was blown out and that's where the fluid came from. Will know tomorrow if changing the fluid and filter helped or if it will be a bigger problem. Fingers crossed, but after seeing this site, you guys have really ruined my night lol. Any luck contacting Ford?

- , Ithaca, NY, USA

Nov 132010

Explorer

I had the transmission fluid changed hoping it would make a difference. Well, it did. On the way home from the dealership, the "service engine soon" light came on. I have had nothing but trouble with this explorer.

- , Gautier, MS, USA

Jul 122010

Explorer XLT 6 cyc

Ford Dealer told me to take it a Transmission Shop about a half a mile form their Dealership. They came up with a problem code and said if Ford does not repair it they must replace the entire Transmission. Called Fords 800 number and received the run around; and its not our problem.

- , Pittsburgh, Penna, USA

Nov 162009

Explorer

I purchased this vehicle on 11/16/09 in after I purchased it they took it to the Chevy house NOT FORD to have it serviced. I had to take it back to put a new fan or something on it & they told me so did the ford place that the gears are spread to far apart and thats why it shifts hard along with everything else.

- , Idabel, OK, USA

Oct 032010

Explorer

I've had this truck for 4 years. Never had a problem until now. My high beam light got stuck first, then my o/d light start blinking, and now my check engine light is on. i suspect will cost an arm and a leg. The Ford company should recall it since it is happen to the same year, make, and model. It is happening to many people, so it has to be a manufactoring issues. Everyone let contact the FORD company NOW. File complaints. ASAP

United States Telephone 800-392-3673 800-232-5952 (TDD for the Hearing Impaired)

Available 8:00a.m.-5:00p.m. Local Time Monday-Friday

Mailing Address Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center P.O. Box 6248 Dearborn, MI 48126

Also contact: Consumer Protection Agency. FTC toll-free helpline: 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357); TTY: 1-866-653-4261

Contact me to keep in touch with results. If we all come together we can get some results. Sonja- realsonias@yahoo.com

Have a Blessed Day!

- , High Point, NC, USA

Nov 122010

Explorer v6

Not yet looked into it but from what I'm seeing I'm not happy. that's the last thing that i need to spend my hard earned money / That's great!!

- , Oak Island, NC, USA

Sep 072009

Explorer Eddie Bauer 3.2L V6

There are a lot of olks out there with this problem. Talk to a Ford dealership and they will try and pretend that they don't know about it - before offering you a transmission rebuild for $3000. Just one important item on a list of reasons not to buy Ford.

- , Grapevine, TX, USA

Mar 262010

Explorer 4.0L

check egine comes on i take it back to the place i had trans rebuilded, recommened replacing sensor.

- , Garland, TX, USA