Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Freestar:

Apr 222011

Freestar 6-cyl

Power train automatic transmission. My wife while driving with children on a secondary highway lost forward motion while traveling up a hill. Was lucky she was able to brake and steer off highway and no vehicles behind her. It has been a nightmare ever since. Had the vehicle towed to a german Ford dealership that quoted us a $10,000 dollar repair to replace the transmission. Found a reputable transmission shop that repaired it for about $4,000, but now the vehicle had multiple error codes, (transaxle, and check engine lite). Replaced multiple sensors trying to solve problem and bounced back and forth between the transmission shop and a different Ford dealership that guaranteed they could fix and repair any problem on an american Ford. Thought I had a power train control module problem affected because of the tsb (06-14-10). I was assured this was not the problem. In between this, Ford issued the recall (NHTSA id 12V006000, action number EA09016, recall number 11S25). My vehicle had to sit from January-July 2012 waiting on the recall to be issued on my particular vehicle. After replacing the torque converter under the recall, the german Ford dealership still had the transaxle lite come back on, so replaced a sensor. Following this work, the oil pressure lite came on. The german Ford dealership replaced the sensor. Now the vehicle will not even start. The vehicle has not been able to be test driven to determine if the transmission is good or not, and the german Ford dealership is refusing to do additional work on the vehicle. They do not know what is wrong andmy vehicle continues to just sit there. I have not had this vehicle operational for almost 19 months.

- Heidelberg, AE, USA

Oct 302012

Freestar 6-cyl

After a major rain storm, tried to start my car and it would start, but would quickly stall. Had to have car towed. Did not have reverse gear. Garage told me I needed a new transmission. Did have a recall notice to replace a faulty torque converter, but died before I was able to get scheduled. I believe the problem started with the PCM board getting wet. Towed to a Ford garage for repairs. Hoping that I get treated fairly. I believe Ford should pay for entire repair bill - new transmission and new PCM board - after all their faulty parts were the reason for the failure! not able to 'populate' above "affected parts".

- Bridgeville, PA, USA

Oct 112012

Freestar

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that while driving 19 mph the check engine light illuminated and immediatelly after the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis and the torque converter was replaced. After the repair had been completed the contact picked up the vehicle and on the way home the failure recurred. The dealer was made aware of the failure who advised the contact to bring the vehicle back in order for them to run a diagnostic test. The failure and current mileage was 94,000.

- San Jose, CA, USA

May 012009

Freestar 6-cyl

The vehicle loose power will stall with engine running other times engine would stall 2-4 seconds the jump back on happen alot when plgs wires are fine it rains, get engine light also. Resets, but will resume on the next start with emission codes and PCM errors.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Oct 072012

Freestar 6-cyl

On 7 Oct. 2012, Sunday while driving to kleber kaserne U.S. army base in kaiserslautern, germany with my wife my 2004 Ford, Freestar suddenly lost power. The road was wet from rain. I was in light traffic in the slow lane and this proved to be fortunate. I pushed the hazard lights as soon as I realized I had lost the ability to accelerate and was slowing down in a coast on the highway. I steered the car to the side of the road and stopped. My car was still running and the brakes worked. The engine would show an increase in RPM on the display when I touched the gas after I stopped but there was absolutely no power to the drive train. I called my adac auto club, germany for a tow truck and they arrived soon after. The day before this I had driving to frankfurt, germany and wiesbaden, germany on a rainy day and returned that evening. This is a round trip of about 200 miles on the autobahn. The autobahn I take to frankfurt has sections with no speed limits and the traffic is very fast. I am thankful that this didn't occur on the autobahn in heavy traffic. For anyone else this happens too, stay calm and look for a place to get off the road immediately. If a person is in fast traffic such as the fast lanes here in germany this would have been very dangerous because it is common to pass cars here in the autobahn in the slow lane at 70 to 80 miles per hour while watching the rear view mirror for cars in the fast lane that often are traveling in the 90 to 110mph speed. In my Ford Freestar I often watch out for the high speed german car traffic. End.

- Apo, AE, USA

Sep 202012

Freestar

At 147000 miles, I needed a complete transmission rebuild. This cost me $2800 due to the fact that there were additional parts not common to a standard rebuild. This was Sept. 2011. In January, I am able to note online that there is a torque converter recall for this model. I call Ford, I'm told there is nothing they can do until the recall is officially released in the 2nd quarter. Wait until 2nd quarter, no notice in the mail. I call Ford in August and tell them this, I am told that Ford will fix the car, it will take approx. 4 days and that no rental car is available during this period. If I suffer a total loss, maybe. Basically, I have to be stranded on the side of the road with my two young children before I can get any help with their issue. After rebuild, I start having issues with cylinder 3 misfire. I replace all plugs and wires, still a cylinder 3 misfire as well as overheating and egr valve. Replace egr valve, complete radiator change, coil pack, still issues with misfiring and overheating. I understand that this could be a computer issue, however Ford fails to realize this and therefore will not issue a recall. Not that would help since if they took it into the shop to fix it, I would not be able to get to work in the interim.

- Chester, MD, USA

Sep 132012

Freestar

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer for repairs under NHTSA campaign id number: 12V006000 (power train: Automatic transmission: Torque converter). The vehicle was repaired however, after the repairs the vehicle would not respond when shifted into first gear or reverse. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 150,000.

- Sunbury , PA, USA

Aug 272012

Freestar

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that after having the vehicle serviced under NHTSA campaign id number: 12V006000 (power train:automatic transmission:torque converter) the transmission failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the transmission became defective due to the oil not being replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 59,000.

- Norton , VA, USA

Nov 052010

Freestar

Had torque converter replaced in 2010 before the recall for almost $2000 from a Ford dealer. They replaced it with another defective torque converter. Now Ford will not give my money back and they will not replace the defective converter. It's either $1450 or a new converter, not both. Ford has now sold me two recalled torque converters and will not give me what I paid and fix the problem. It's no wonder they didn't need a bailout with their shady business practices. They are stealing from their consumers. Outraged and seeking legal advice. I urge others to do the same.

- Trevor, WI, USA

Sep 022008

Freestar 6-cyl

The electrical has been wiggy ever since --just after the factory warranty ran out. This includes: Back-up safety sensors stopped working, heated drivers seat stopped working(passenger still works), the stereo system doesn't have all of it's functions, passenger airbag light is on, van very noisy when backing up--we call it the moose. Had to replace transmission and then we get re-call notice! and, it still doesn't feel 100% still waiting for a refund(?) brakes are squishy--even after replacement of front end everything! side electric doors will sometimes open and close several times until we just have to manually force them to stay closed.

- Warrenville, IL, USA

Sep 012012

Freestar

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph smoke emitted into the vehicle. The contact was able to maneuver to the shoulder when she noticed that flames were coming from under the vehicle right before it was completely engulf in flames. The police and fire department were contacted. The dealer was contacted who stated that the failure might had been cause by the torque converter and offered no assistance. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who filed a report and did not offer any further assistance. The failure and current mileage was 86,000.

- Watervliet, NY, USA

May 122010

Freestar 6-cyl

Many issues with the van & they continue. Purchased from 1 previous owner, Jan '09 around 60K May 2010, 74K miles- replaced spark plugs & wires, fuel system cleaner: Rough idle $432.23 Dec 2010, 83K miles - replaced front axle & sway bar links: $822.89 April 2011, ? miles, - replaced plugs & wires, coil pack: Rough idle $700.85 Jan 2012, 100K miles - replaced pvc evap hose, R&R fuel filter, fuel injector cleaner: Rough idle $228.40 Aug 15 2012, 106K miles - recall, torque converter replaced: Costing me $162.14 to replace seals & transmission filter Aug 16 2012, 106K miles - replaced egr valve: Rough idle & engine light on after recall fix $135.95 (dealership was kind enough to only charge for labor) Aug 31, 2012, 107K miles - engine is still running rough, piercing noise while driving, sometimes it goes away when I am turning.

- Charleston, WV, USA

Aug 162012

Freestar 6-cyl

Vehicle lost power while driving. There was no power steering or power brakes and the engine stopped running. There was no warning before the power failure. Vehicle was able to be started up after power failure. The same evening, starting up the vehicle, the idle was rough and the power failed in about 1 minute. Vehicle was brought to a Ford dealer the next morning and they could not replicate the problem and no engine codes were present. About 1 week later, after a rain storm, the power failed again while driving at 30 mph. It was possible to start the vehicle after the power failure. A Ford dealer looked at the vehicle after the latest power failure and could not replicate the problem and there were no engine codes. In April 2010, I experienced a similar problem which was caused by water getting into the PCM. Within a month in 2010, the PCM was replaced twice.

- West Grove, PA, USA

Jun 012012

Freestar 6-cyl

Had the torque converter replced under recall after receiving the recall notice. Transmission light was going off and on. After having it replaced, the light was still going off and on. Had paul miller Ford in lexington, ky look at the transmission. They stated it need a total transmission replacement for $3100. Took it to a local transmission shop and they replaced the pump shaft and bearing. Light is still going off and on as if nothing had ever been touched.

- Richmond, KY, USA

Aug 112012

Freestar 6-cyl

While driving the van would shut down completely. We had to stop in the middle of the road with traffic where we almost were rear ended, put it in park just to restart it. Started moving again and the van did it again, this time I was able to pull off on the side of the road so I would not get hit. Called the Ford dealership here in palm coast and they told me the transmission torque convertor was recalled and they would fix it free of charge. They replaced the torque convertor, however informed me that my transmission needed to be replaced. I told them I could not afford to do that and that the torque convertor was what had caused the transmission failure. I was then informed I could purchase a new vehicle from them and use the van as a trade in. I see their are many other people just like me online that Ford refuses to help with the issue. Now wonder why they did not take any bailout money, they are getting it from the consumer who buys their low grade products.

- Palm Coast, FL, USA

Jul 072012

Freestar

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that after the vehicle was repair under NHTSA campaign id number: 12V006000 (power train:automatic transmission:torque converter) he noticed a grinding noise while driving approximately 65 mph. The contact mentioned that the vehicle decelerated and the check engine warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The contact mentioned that the vehicle would decelerate prior to the repairs but it had become more persistent over time. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 115,000.

- Inglewood, CA, USA

Jul 272012

Freestar 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Freestar. The contact stated that the check engine light illuminated and the vehicle began to shake uncontrollably. The failure recurred at various speeds. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the contact was informed that the failure was due to water penetrating the PCM. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 52,600. Updated 10/10/12 updated 10/15/2012

- Brewer, ME, USA

Jan 132012

Freestar 6-cyl

As I was taking off from a red light, I noticed that my car would not accelerate. I pulled to the side of the road and tried changing gears but it still would not go. Took it to the local Ford dealership and they changed out the torque converter. Six months later on July 14th, it starts doing the same thing but I still had first gear. Took it back to Ford and they said that it was the transmission this time. Come to find out when they changed the part they did not change the filter, fluid, or blow out the lines. They will not take responsibility for their actions on this. I will never buy another Ford or use the Ford place for repairs.

- Anniston, AL, USA

Jan 012012

Freestar 6-cyl

In January 2012 as per recall notice that was on cnn news, Ford advised us in March 2012 that our 2004 Freestar was being recalled for a faulty torque converter. If this part were to fail, the vehicle will cease to function. The Ford website states that the part is still not available and will not be until the 2nd half of 2012 which we are already in. Ford states that the vehicle will not lose electrical function so that we can use our directional signals and coast to a safe stop. How can this be possible if you are driving on a highway at 70 mph and the vehicle suddenly loses all power to go forward or backwards and you happen to be in a lane that is not alongside a median" we received a phone call a couple of days ago telling us to contact our local dealership as the part may be available. When we did make contact we were told yet again that the part is still unavailable. I cannot fathom how this part can take so long to be manufactured and sent to dealerships. Doesn't the Ford Motor Company value life" I find it inexcusable for them to take so much time to remedy a situation, a situation that puts my families life in peril everytime we take it out on the road. There is nothing that they can use as a defense when they have known for such a long time that this problem has existed. Listening to the phone information on the # that Ford lists is utterly ridiculous. They tell you not to worry, just pull off to the side of the road when your vehicle will not go in forward or reverse...but it will coast to a safe stop...that is if someone doesn't crash into you as you are making the attempt to get off the road.

- Coral Springs, FL, USA

Dec 122011

Freestar 6-cyl

While driving vehicle, I lost all power to the drive train. Engine continued to run fine, but would not move vehicle forward or reverse. Had it towed to repair shop and was advised that the transmission had failed due to being full of metal shavings from the torque converter. Had to replace complete transmission at a cost of $3039. Several months later I got a letter from Ford Motor Company about a problem with the torque causing the transmission to fail. They said they would send more information later. So far I have no further information from Ford.

- Bernville , PA, USA