Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Ford Fusion:

Mar 282019

Fusion

While driving in to work on multiple different occasions, the serpentine belt had come off. The power steering went out and the engine started to overheat. On 3 different occasions I have had my car towed to a shop to get fixed. Each time it was the idler pulley bolt being broken. This all happened while the car was in motion twice on the highway and once on a residential street. There is a loud clinking sound and the car growls.

- Gary, IN, USA

Oct 012017

Fusion

Herky jerky acceleration. Dealership said it was a sensor. 6 months later, same problem. Dealership said a small oil leak burned through some wires. Stated some sort of issue with a wiring harness. Stated wiring harness needed replaced, but was virtually impossible to locate. Brakes constantly need repairs/replacements. Multiple times per year.

- Hilliard, OH, USA

Oct 092018

Fusion

I was driving when my car entered "limp home" mode and failed to accelerate. I had barely enough time to move onto the side of the road from traffic.

- Salem, NY, USA

Jul 062018

Fusion

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that it took at least three attempts to start the vehicle. When the vehicle finally started, it failed to accelerate and the wrench warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer or an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing or repairs. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 129,000.

- Geneseo, IL, USA

Apr 012018

Fusion

Takata recall !!!!!!! the display panel warning lights come on and go off at will. Mostly when its humid outside or raining. This is including the scary airbag light, oil light, engine light. I am stuck with the car since Ford stated no one should sit in the front passenger seat. Has no value. And I pray every day it does not kill me!

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Nov 022015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that a red warning light flashed intermittently and the vehicle stalled several times without warning. The dealer diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The dealer replaced the part, but the remedy failed to provide a solution. In addition, the dealer later stated that the computer failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was unable to be safely driven without potentially stalling. The VIN and failure mileage were not available.

- Kanawha, IA, USA

Oct 262016

Fusion

Electronic throttle body defective. Engine stalls, loses power, enters limp mode, and runs at reduced speeds. Especially dangers leaving an intersection, after being stopped, you can't rely on the vehicle having enough power to clear the intersection as oncoming traffic approaches. Always concerned about being T-boned.

- Wheeling, WV, USA

Jul 282016

Fusion

I purchased the 2009 Ford Fusion for my 16 year old daughter's first car. It only has 68K miles on it so I was confidence that it would be a reliable car. After diving it for about a month the car started stalling and it was never consistent. About once a week the car would stall sometimes when pulling away from a stop sign or just driving at normal speeds. Then also sometimes it would surge. She said the scary part was when it stalls you can't steer or brake the car because of no power. After taking it to the repair shop several times they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. The dealership said it was probably the throttle body but could not say for sure and there was no recall on that part. This is unbelievable the car is not safe to drive and there is no recall! also, the floor mats where constantly getting stuck on the gas pedal and the car engine would race up and make it almost impossible to stop the car. So, the nice Fusion mats are now in the garbage after almost killing my daughter. I would like to see Ford take responsibility for these defects and fix them!

- Saline, MI, USA

Jun 252016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Fusion. While driving 50 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact heard a loud clanking noise directly before the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was diagnosed as needing a new motor. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 101,000.

- Haslett, MI, USA

Jun 242015

Fusion

My daughter was driving her 2009 Ford Fusion to college orientation in mankato, mn. The car went into "limp" mode on the highway due to a defective throttle body assembly and ultimately stopped running. The issue surrounding Ford's lack of commitment is that the throttle body defect is a known issue; reference consumer satisfaction program 13N03. The service manager and Ford customer service said my car did not fall within the parameters of the replacement program. I have a case number from Ford involving the defective throttle body, but nobody has followed up with me and I assume the case is closed. The service manager said he did not know why my car would not be covered since it's the same defect that's addressed by their customer satisfaction program.

- Savage, MN, USA

May 182015

Fusion

Smart junction box and transmission have been replaced. It's a new car with 37000 miles.

- Eugene, OR, USA

Apr 022015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle hesitated intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the throttle body was defective. The contact believed the failure might be related to a recent crash that occurred; however, this was not confirmed by the dealer. The failure mileage and the VIN were not available.

- Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Mar 042015

Fusion 4-cyl

I have twice now experienced a catastrophic engine/power train failure while at speed and in traffic. While driving and without any prior notice, my car immediately shuts down. During which the engine stalls, power brakes fail, and steering wheel locks. Luckily I was in a position in traffic where I could quickly engage the hazard lights and allow plenty of reaction time for other drivers to avoid me. After the car has stalled and lost all power, that is when the warning lights (engine and wrench) come on the dash. Each time it has taken no less than 5 minutes, while sitting in heavy traffic, to restart the car. When the car restarts it will drive like it did prior to the failure but the check engine light will remain on. This time I was able to bring the car to the local Ford service department to have them diagnose the problem. After a full day of trying to recreate the issue (25 mile test drive) their recommendation was to take the car and continue to drive as normal until it happens again. After researching this site and several others, I have found that I am not the only Fusion owner who has experienced this problem. I brought several documents to prove the issue has been recognized by Ford (csp 13N03) and there is a fix for the problem. Due to the bureaucratic nature of the conflictual relationship between the automotive industry and government entities, I am now left with a blunt refusal to remedy the issue with my car from the Ford dealership because I do not own a 2010 Fusion but rather a 2009. A model year prior to what Ford recognizes has issues but I in fact have twice experienced the exact symptoms that Ford outlined in their csp 13N03 document. At the end of the day I still have a very unsafe vehicle that is not fit to be on public roads because of the mass safety risk it poses to it's occupants (my children) and other motorists.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Dec 152014

Fusion 6-cyl

Business name: Ford Motor Company. Customer service division P.O.box 1904 dearborn, mi 48121 bus phone: 866-436-7332 email: Website: Ford Motor Company. Com names and addresses of any other businesses involved in your complaint: Transaction date: 12-15-2014 amount in dispute: N/a explanation of complaint: I was involved in a car accident on December 15th 2014 the car I own is a 2009 Ford Fusion sel.my accelerator got stuck my car I went ofnline to see if there was any recalls on the vehicle and there was one I contacted for customer service.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Dec 182014

Fusion

While driving my Fusion which has had no mechanical issues up to this point slammed into 3rd gear followed by a rapid decrease in power and speed. The check engine light and wrench came on and pretty sure was in the" limp home" mode. Took it to get the codes read and P 2104 and P0607 were present.

- Rayville , MO, USA

Oct 262014

Fusion 4-cyl

2009 Ford Fusion - while driving, all of the lights on the instrument panel lit up. Driver pulled over to safe area & shut off vehicle. Vehicle would not restart. Lights, radio and fan still worked. Vehicle was taken to garage for assessment & repairs - the main power control module and the transmission control module were bad, battery was at 9 instead of 12 - all component's needed to be replaced.

- Factoryville, PA, USA

Nov 302012

Fusion

I'm getting a check engine light and a wrench symbol on my dashboard. When I take it to get checked, it says 'faulty throttle body' or throttle control actuator. This causes my Ford Fusion to go into 'limp home' mode. This is a mode that causes that car to accelerate no more than 20 miles an hour. The problem with this is that it happens when I'm in the middle of traffic, traveling at speeds of 55-70 miles an hour. When this happens, I fear for my life. When I contact auto care centers, they all tell me that this is a problem that has to be handled by the dealership. When I contact the dealership, they don't know what I'm talking about. I think that this throttle body is defective and after some online research, I see that I'm one of many Ford owners that this has happened to. I would like a them recall this defective auto part. I hope no one has died from their car suddenly going into 'limp home' mode.

- Garden City, GA, USA

Oct 292014

Fusion

TL-the contact owns a 2009 Ford Fusion. The contact stated while driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle stalled without notice. The vehicle was able to be restarted. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing and the electric throttle body was replaced. The contact was made aware of NHTSA action number: PE13003 (engine) and stated that the vehicle displayed the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 215,000.

- Kentwood , MI, USA

Aug 102014

Fusion 4-cyl

On 8/10/2014, after pulling out of the driveway, we noticed a reduction in acceleration on our 2009 Ford Fusion. The check engine light came on and upon taking the vehicle to autozone, the codes P2112 and P2104 showed up indicating a defect with the throttle body. Upon researching the internet we found the NHTSA action number PE13003 which indicated that there was a problem with this part on 2009-2013 Fusion and that Ford would cover the repair when the problem occurred. We took the car to southway Ford in san antonio on Monday, 8/11/2014. On Friday, 8/15/2014, the Ford service advisor indicated that the problem truly was the throttle body, but we were told that Ford would not pay for this repair. We have brought this to the attention of the service manager at southway Ford and to the corporate customer relations department at Ford. Obviously, there is a defect in this part, which causes a potential life-threatening safety hazard but Ford does not seem to acknowledge it and take responsibility for correcting the problem.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

May 282014

Fusion

While merging onto a freeway my car experienced a sudden loss of power while driving. Shortly afterwards my check engine light came on and I took it to the dealer to see what it was. It was a bad catalytic converter I was told that it would take 4 weeks to get one in. Meanwhile it being my only car I asked and was denied a loaner vehicle from Ford Motor Co. And I was told that the vehicle was still safe to drive as long as I did not let it goo too long without the repair. I called back 4 weeks later and was told that it would be an additional 4-8 weeks as there were "no" parts to be found anywhere. This worried me greatly as they even said problems could arise if driven too long without being fixed. So I filed a complaint with Ford Motor Company and was treated like crap by them. They told me they were willing to help but "not" willing to do anything. So I called a local news station who put me in touch with their executive offices where I got the same response. No loaner vehicle and no compenstaion for the extra gas I had to buy as it sucked it down. Whenever someone from Ford's calls me I am lucky to get a sentence in before they hung up on me! thankfully to my contacting a local news station they made enough headway with Ford that my part "finally" arrived today on 07/28/14 but I am extremely upset that Ford would put me in the situation where myself and my family could be in danger by driving an automobile that is not safe. Driving with bad catalytic converters is not safe and could cause all sorts of other issues and the fact that Ford's encouraged me to do so is frightening. This for one along with the GM issues has me seriously thinking of buying a foreign automobile for the first time ever. It was wrong what Ford Motor Company did to myself and my family and I hope that this complaint will prevent them from doing this again in the future!

- South Lyon, MI, USA