8.7

$1,570

Most common solutions:

2. completely replace power steering (19 reports)
  3. replace steering gear (9 reports)
  4. replace steering gear ($1,625.53) (7 reports)
  5. replace steering column (2 reports)
  6. replace steering rack (1 reports)

Apr 242018

Fusion SEL 4 Cly

Power steering assist stopped working made for hard steering with message on dash saying Steering Assist Fault. I was able to get steering to work by turning vehicle off and restarting. Ford dealer diagnosed as steering rack failure. Cost of repair will be 1650.00 to 1700.00. I have no choice but to have it repaired and hope that the 2010 Fusions are included in the recall.

- Ron Z., Soquel, CA, US

Jul 122018

Fusion ES 2.4L

I have been having issue with the power steering system , i check power steering pump, nothing wrong with it, check the power steering fluid and its at max level, but while driving I get the power steering system faulty and vehicle completely locks making it difficult to maneuver, I almost got into an accident.

I live in Chicago and the first time this happen was during winter so I thought it was that the fluid was frozen since it continue to work properly after the car warm up. but this time happen in the middle of summer while I was turning left at intersection almost causing me to have an accident. I'm glad i didn't have my kids with me.

So at this point I left my vehicle at my garage until I'm able to schedule an service appointment at the dealer. So let see how much this is going to cost me.

- Luis N., Chicago, IL, US

Apr 062018

Fusion SEL

click to see larger images

power steering not working properly power steering not working properly

Have called several Ford Dealerships. One is all booked until next week, one told me they have airbag to fix the other recalls on it, another said it would be $150 to diagnose and another service manager in another dealership told me he would charge me $98. I didn't know I had to still try and bargain around when dealing with this and two recalls already accepted. smh

- Erika S., Houston, US

Nov 082017

Fusion S 2.5L

It's really dangerous when you're driving down the interstate and without warning the power steering locks up and there is nothing that you can do about it except spend thousands of dollars that could be used on something much better than a problem that shouldn't have happened without warning especially.

- Ricky R., Clarksville, TX, US

Apr 222018

Fusion SE 2.5L I4

Pretty dangerous considering this is a known problem and steering could seize. If power steering fails, one should still be able to drive (granted w/more effort) but still drive safely. Right now I have my car parked as I do not wish to take a chance of it seizing and getting into an accident.

- tapjp, Jersey City, US

Apr 042018

Fusion LS 2.5L

Had my car with mechanic to diagnose battery failures ( 3 brand new batteries being replaced in 3 months). Had the alternator replaced two weeks ago. The battery loses charge if the car is not run for day. The mechanic came back and said that I had no power steering any more. Will report back after the job is complete. Not sure how this happened. There has been no issue with steering so far. I have 107,780 miles so far.

- Tabassum H., Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Feb 082018

Fusion se 2.5L

2011-2012 Fusions, recalled for this, but NOT 2010 which is the exact same car! $1800.00 to replace steering column. No power steering reminds me of driving a 1950's Ford truck with "Arm Strong" power steering.

- Mark T., Troutdale, US

Jan 022018

Fusion LX 4

was running pretty fast going around a curve power steering just went out, hit 2 more cars.

- dirt-cheappt, Sylacauga, US

Dec 152016

Fusion V6

The vehicle was functioning properly and with no advance warning, the console displayed an error message saying service power steering and almost immediately received a service power steering now and I was then unable to turn my vehicle. Although, 2011 and 2012 models have been recalled for this same reason, the dealer charged me the full price of the repair.

- Gale W., Kansas city, Kansas, United States

Oct 122017

Fusion SEL 2.5L 4 cyl

Sounds like a very common problem with this year. Love the car, but will not be buying a Ford again. I guess when it comes to style vs. reliability, the working man must choose reliable. Too bad Ford has not learned from the ETB warranty claims and extended it to this item. There is no good reason such an expensive part should fail so early for so many people. It ruins Ford's rep.

- Andrew L., Gahanna, US

Jul 312017

Fusion

WHEN NY POWER STEERING AND DEFAULT LIGHT CAME ON I DID SOME RESEARCH ONLY TO FIND OUT FOR NOW THERE WAS A PROBLEM WITH THESE UNITS AND THEY STILL PUT THEM IN THE 2010 CARS KNOWING THAT STARTING OUT AT ABOUT 55,000 MILES THEY WOULD GO BAD. SHAME ON YOU FORD.

- Juli S., Salem, US

Jul 192017

Fusion

I just spent over $1000 to replace battery, alternator, and throttle, with less than $40,000 miles on the car. Now, I am getting a message when I start my car, "power steering fault". Must I continue to keep putting more money in a car with $40,000 miles on it? What ever happened to being able to keep a car for 10 years or at least 100,000 miles on it before having to worry about repairs.

- georgina, Henderson, US

Jun 302017

Fusion SEL 2.5L 4 cyl

My sisters car wasn't working so I lent her mine. She just called and said that the power steering had gone out and she could barely steer the car. This happened when Throttle Body went out a couple of years ago - Ford decided to cover it, but wouldn't cover mine because it had too many miles on it. I have had nothing but trouble with this car and every time I google the current problem, I get loads of complaints from people having the same problems. There is an air bag recall but I haven't been notified that the parts are in to fix it. How many problems does a car have to have before the whole thing is recalled. Won't buy a Ford again and my sister is still without a car and so am I. Neither of us has $1800 to put into that worthless piece of garbage.

- Dawn T., Lonoke, AR, USA

Apr 072017

Fusion SE V4

Warning comes on says power steering shift. you cant steer the car. Turned car off and it did ok. Took it to dealer and they reset computer. Said needs to be replaced charge to replace $1400. charged $100 for reset. It keeps happening and I just don't have money to replace. They said this part is covered for free on 2011, but not 2010.

- lindabrooks, Denver, US

May 182017

Fusion SE 2.5L 14

I drove away from my home and proceeded to the stop sign at the end of the street with everything seeming to work properly with my vehicle and no warnings on my dash. I stopped at the end of my street and when safe began to make a left hand turn onto the main road. As I moved forward I suddenly had no steering capabilities. It took all my strength to turn the vehicle into the lane.

I glanced down at the dash lights and saw "Power Steering Assist Fault". I proceeded to a safe place and pulled off the highway. I turned the vehicle off and sat there for a few minutes while I contemplated what to do. My first thought was that I had somehow lost the power steering fluid but I had not noticed anything leaking. I did not realize my vehicle is equipped with and EPS system and that there is no fluid reservoir to check or fill.

After a few minutes I started the car. I was able to move the steering wheel easily and the warning light was gone. I returned home, parked the vehicle, and got out the owner's manual to see what it said about the power steering. There is a WARNING box describing the problem. At no time prior to this incident had a "SERVICE POWER STEERING", "SERVICE POWER STEERING NOW", or a "POWER STEERING ASSIST FAULT" warning light shown on my vehicle.

This could have been a very dangerous situation. Fortunately, I did not put myself or anyone else in an unfortunate situation this time but I am now afraid to drive my vehicle. Why was my vehicle not included in the recalls? Obviously, Ford knows of the problem because they included it in the manual. My biggest concern is that there was no warning, It happened while I was driving and with no warning. To suddenly have no steering capabilities is very dangerous!

I believe Ford should have to correct the problem at their expense because they knew there was an issue, hence the warning.

- Marsha B., Bieber, US

May 062017

Fusion SEL 3.0L V6

While I was driving on May 6th, my 2010 Ford fusion all of a sudden shows 'service power steering now'. Then I parked the car at the nearest gas station and checked what's going on with it. It looks like nothing went wrong and there was no noise at all. However, when I restart the engine, the steering system is fixed, I can hardly made any turns. I have no choice but to have my car towed to my apartment. Fortunately there was no big loss about the passengers, otherwise I would be super sad. Then I searched online about this problem of the vehicle. It seemed like there is no simple solution for the problem. If I went to the ford dealer, it would cost more than 1,400 dollars. That's really too much for me to afford. I heard there is recall about 2011 and 2012 ford fusion on this problem. But why there is no recall for this ford fusion 2010 on the same problem. I complained about this is because the problem may cause huge traffic accidents. What an awful experience.

Update from May 8, 2017: I haven't have it fixed yet. Since the dealer told me that I need to replace the whole steering gear, It will cost more than 1,900 dollars. That's so crazy and doesn't make any sense. It's the ford company that make this problem happens, they don't take any action and ask our customers to pay for it. This is the worst case I have ever seen. I will never trust the ford company any more.

- Guang L., Ann Arbor, US

Jan 092017

Fusion SEL 2.5L

There is a recall on the same parts on different model year Ford Fusions and Ford continues to ignore this problem on the 2010 model. I have had the same experience as most. My power steering was intermittent on start up for about 6 months, generally a shut down and restart would fix the issue. One day while driving through a turn the power steering completely gave out and nearly resulted in an accident. The power steering has not worked since. It gives off all the usual indications on the dash about the power steering assist being faulty. Ford Corporate customer service is unwilling to even offer a discount for a fix and they just tell you to report it to the DOT complaint site. This problem has already resulted in crashes for several people, it will only be a matter of time before it results in a fatality. Put this model year on RECALL FORD! The entire rack and pinion will cost approximately $1200. The Labor will be anywhere from $400 to $600 depending on where you go. This, of course, if they do not find anything else wrong....

- William H., Evans, GA, US

Apr 202017

Fusion

So this morning I had just dropped my son off at school and was making a turn onto the highway when out of nowhere my "SERVICE ADVANCETRAC" & "SERVICE POWER STEERING" lights came on. .no more than 3 minutes go by when the steering just locks and here I am on the freaking highway in morning traffic with no damn control over my car! Scariest feeling in the world, all I could think was 'thank God my son isn't with me because if I get in an accident at least it'll just be me'. What I can't seem to fathom is why Ford hasn't fixed this issue, do they need a body count or for 1 of their family members to be hurt in a situation like this before they put a recall? I work full time and support my family while my husband attends school, there is no way in y'all know where that I can afford the 1500+ that it'll cost to replace my power steering. I service my car regularly and know that this is not a result of anything that I have/have not done to this car! I read that the NHTSA opened an investigation on Ford for the issues with the 2010 fusion, so I hope and pray they get somewhere with that because w/o my car functioning properly I don't know how I'll get to/from work.

- Emily B., Littleton, CO, US

Mar 212017

Fusion

The power steering of my Ford Fusion stopped working suddenly. It was a close call. I cannot go to my work without a car. Ford company does not have a good technology. They don't know how to manufacture safe and efficient cars. Never buy a Ford again. A very bad technology and worst customer service.

- Pam J., Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Mar 062017

Fusion SE 2.5L 4cl

Mostly happens when I start the car from a cold start. The dash display shows "Power Steering Assist Fault". Then I have manual steering. I shut the car off and then restart the engine and everything is fine. This has happened now about once every 1-2 months.

- A .., Irmo, SC, US