8.6

$1,620

Most common solutions:

2. Recall (19 reports)
  3. replace steering assembly (13 reports)
  4. replaced steering rack (11 reports)
  5. ford covered repair (2 reports)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

May 072018

Fusion SEL 2.5L

Car had power steering assist fault message on 5/3/2018. morning. Made appointment with Fairway Ford in Freeport IL for 1pm on 05/04/2018 at 1pm. Arranged for a tow and went down to wait for tow truck about 12:30p started car and it gave no message and steering worked fine. I canceled tow and called to talk to Brandon, service mgr at Fairway told him the problem went away?! He said bring it in or wait and see if it happens again. I decided to take it in. Arrived to service at Fairway and met Brandon and dropped off car. An hour later he came out and said the vehicle is giving No code and to contact him if it happens again. Car worked fine during weekend and went to run errand today, at 4:30pm and the vehicle gives power steering assist fault with clicking that sounds same as a dying battery, and steering will not work again.?!

- Hershel L., Freeport, IL, US

Sep 272017

Fusion SEL 4.0L

Been having the power steering assist malfunction since last year. I had found out online that there was a recall on the 2011 Ford fusion on the power steering assist malfunctioning, took to the local ford garage and was told that they would not fix because the mileage. I complained there and then called Ford on the phone and told them about the situation. This has been happening going slow speeds, and fast speeds in straight stretches and in curves. When it alarms you absolutely have no steering and have to put car in neutral, turn it off and restart to correct, and get steering back. I told Ford fine don't fix and if I or someone in my car got hurt or in worst case scenario killed they would pay, for I, or my family members would get a lawyer and have things taken care of. They just told me to do what I needed to do but they would not fix the recall. All I want is the car fixed!

- Tonya U., Sutton, US

Apr 072018

Fusion SE 2.5L

Ford and the NHTSA suck! NHTSA allowed Ford to get away with a minimum recall that did not address all of the vehicles impacted. The only reason why Ford probably even conceded to a partial recall was to shut down the class action lawsuit by being able to say - hey we remedied the problem. Bull sh*t!

To add insult to injury, you can only get the electronic steering rack for the Fusion from a Ford dealer and they want $1400 for the part; and that's without the cost of labor. Gouging the customers to fix their defective products - and the government is allowing this. Given the high risk of injury and death associated with this defect both Ford and the NHTSA should be ashamed of themselves.

- Diane M., Pompton Plains, NJ, US

Apr 092018

Fusion SE 2.5L

I own a 2011 Ford Fusion that currently has 151457 miles. Several times in the past, when I first started the car, the power steering assist alarm was present and I had no power steering. I would shut off the engine, restart and power steering would work. Yesterday while my wife was driving down the highway, when the power steering stopped working. She managed to get it home and I tried to reset alarm. I noticed one display that said service ????????? I never received a recall notice

Elizabeth says: Thank you for waiting. Yes, I see that your vehicle has a few recalls. I will list them for you. You mentioned you have not received. A third party sends out the recall letters and they use the last registered name and addressed listed at the Department of Motor Vehicles. You should contact them and make sure that your address is properly registered. One moment please.

Elizabeth says: Customer Satisfaction Program 15N01 - EPAS Steering Efforts Safety Recall 16S26 - Passenger Airbag Inflator Replacement Customer Satisfaction Program 16B38 - Powertrain Control Module Reprogramming and Canister Purge Valve Inspection

Gene says: If I go the Bartow Ford dealership with a copy of this email will they perform these 3 recalls?

Elizabeth says: Yes. Just give them the name of the recall and the customer satisfaction numbers and your good to go.

Managed to get car over to Bartow Ford and they say it's not covered after 150,000 miles. They are discussing with Detroit.

- Gene K., Bartow, FL, US

Jan 242018

Fusion SEL 2.6L

The power steering quit working without warning on our 2011 Ford Focus resulting in a minor accident. We researched and found the recall on the power steering system for that car. We took the car to our local dealer to have it repaired and they would not repair it under the recall because the car was 4000 miles past the recall limit. We received a recall letter in November of 2017 about the recall but there was no expiration date or mileage limit to the recall. We investigated more into the matter and found it to be a major issue with Ford vehicles 2008 to 2012 with the EPAS GEN 1 STEERING system. We have made calls to Ford corporate customer service and they refuse to address the problem.

We contacted the NHTSA about the matter and said the dealer reported the problem was repaired. We filed a complaint with the NHTSA and that seems to be all we can do. We have 5 Ford vehicles in our family and it is shameful that Ford will not correct their mistake. Time to trade in some cars and look at other manufacturers.

- maryrose, Phelan, US

Jan 212018

Fusion LS

My mother and I were leaving church on Sunday when I tried to pull out of parking space, my steering wheel locked, and Power Steering Failure message flashed across the dashboard. Cut the car off because I couldn't believe what I was seeing. When I started the engine again and tried to move it the Power Steering Failure message flashed again and was unable to move vehicle. I have contacted Ford dealership and was told that the problem may be under recall. Waiting for dealership to tell me what the fix will be. What I find frustrating about this situation is that Ford has never sent a recall notice for this problem even though this is a common complaint for 2011 Ford Fusions.

- Sheila F., Philadelphia, US

Jan 012018

Fusion SE 2.4L

My ford fusion often had power steering failure. It happened numerous times since 2016. When it happened, it will be very difficult to drive and easy to get into an accident.

- Guisheng S., San Francisco, CA, US

Nov 252017

Fusion 4 Cil

My power steering assist fail warning went off on my dash and I was completely shocked. I had never heard of this issue before and didn't realize that my power steering was all electric for this model and year. I didn't know when they had switched over. After googling the issue, I realized that there had been a recall on 2010 to 2011 models of Ford Fusions and the exact thing that had happened to me was normal for this model around 80K+ miles. I am lucky that I wasn't on the highway when my power steering went out because I would have crashed and killed myself or someone else. I cannot even turn the wheel when it goes out. It's not like the older cars that even though it's rough, you can still turn it. Nope! Completely out and I don't have the strength to turn the wheel, so I would crash head on. Called the dealership only to find out that my car isn't on the recall list because it wasn't within the "build dates". I find this incredibly wrong that they wouldn't just issue a blanket recall for all the cars within that time frame considering mine is doing the exact same thing. I called Ford Customer Relations (800-392-3673) to file a complaint but was only told that yes, my vehicle was not part of the recall, but they couldn't do anything until I got a diagnosis from the dealership. I asked for a "courtesy warranty" because I had seen it online and she then said that once I got the diagnosis, I could call back and tell them all of the details and they could see what options they have to assist me. This person is not in the department to make any decisions, and only puts in the complaints, so I don't know how accurate this is. She did make a point to tell me that the GOVERNMENT, and not FORD are the ones that push the recalls and that it's done from complaints and records of repairs. I wonder how many people had to scrap these cars because they couldn't afford the repairs? Which, by the way are on AVERAGE....$2000+. Ford should be ashamed of themselves because this is a huge safety issue. What if I have my kids or family in the car and it goes out? Can they handle the blood on their hands over fixing this known issue? I now cannot in good conscience drive it for my own safety and all of the others on the road, and now I'm forced with this dilemma of how am I going to get the money to fix it and how am I going to get to work to try to get the money to fix it?! I will update after I get the diagnosis from the dealership and talk to Ford again on what they tell me.

- April H., Utica, US

Nov 032017

Fusion

Brought my 2011 Ford Fusion (Mileage 61,014) to the local Ford dealership on 8/18/2015 for recall #15S18. They replaced the steering gear at this time no charge since the recall. On 11/3/2017 (Mileage 79,752) my power steering went again and they again replaced the steering gear but would not cover the cost this time. Was quoted the cost would be $1900.00 for the fix but after it was all said and done the bill ended up being $1182.76. I believe their should have been no charge since this problem had been supposedly fixed previously under a recall. I filed two complaints with Ford and was denied any monetary assistance on each complaint. Such a bummer as our family only drives Ford and has for years but am rethinking this now. Maybe Chevy will be our new company if Ford does not step up to the plate and address this issue!

- Trudi H., Missoula, US

Sep 172017

Fusion SE 2.5L

Power steering assist message on dash lit up as I was pulling out of the driveway. The day before I was on the interstate for 300 mi.. Don't even want to think about what could have happened! ! ! I've driven manual steering cars and trucks in the past and it was fun. Steering the Fusion back into my garage was work ! Waited a half hour, drove Fusion around the block without incident. Called dealer, brought car in and dealer replaced Steering Gear and reprogrammed PSCM . Dealer told me a certain code came up during diagnostic so Ford was fixing it on a "Courtesy Warranty?" or something like that. Otherwise it would have been $2000.

Noticeable difference in car now that this problem is fixed. Reported this when it happened on the NHTSA site, but not here. Reporting it now because I think I have a Throttle problem, that I thought was fixed with this issue but apparently not.

- whyford?, Lemont, US

Jan 092017

Fusion SEL V6

Power steering failure while backing out of driveway. I find out today 08/12/17 after taking my car in for a throttle body failure (another recall) that there was a recall on it. I get all my servicing done at the ford dealership but not once has the service manager said anything about a recall on my vehicle. They said they don't do anything until there is a failure. Isn't this why there is a recall so the safety of everyone isn't endangered?

- Sandra C., Chesapeake, US

Jan 052017

Fusion

I AM REALLY DISAPPOINTED WITH THIS CAR. WHEN I FIRST GOT THE CAR I WAS IN LOVE WITH IT UNTIL THE STEERING GEAR WENT OUT. I TOOK IT TO FORD DEALERSHIP AND WAS CHARGED AN ARM AND LEG TO GET IT FIXED. THIS ALL HAPPENED IN JANUARY 2017 AND NOW I AM FACED WITH THE SAME PROBLEM EXCEPT NOW I HAVE TO PAY 3100.00 TO HAVE IT REPAIRED. I FEEL THAT FORD SHOULD HONOR ME WITH THE DAMN RECALL THEY HAD AND REPLACE THE PART. I DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS BUT RIGHT IS RIGHT AND WRONG IS WRONG. FORD KNEW WHEN THEY MADE THIS CAR THAT THERE WAS AN ISSUE THAT WILL OCCUR WITH THE STEERING GEAR. THEY WILL NOT HELP ME IN ANY MEANS AT ALL. I AM REALLY DISSATISFIED WITH FORD. BE CAREFUL AND CHECK THINGS OUT BEFORE YOU GET ANYTHING FROM FORD.

- Sharon R., Harrell, AR, US

Jun 152017

Fusion SE

Power steering assist fault. Why is my vehicle not covered under the recall along with the 400,000 that were recalled and it has the same problem? F*ck Ford F*ck Ford F*ck Ford. Never buy a vehicle new or used from them. They don't care about your safety. Just want to spend the least to fix the problem. Do not buy a Ford and put them out of business. I feel they put me out of business with not recalling my vehicle with the same problem as recalled vehicles. I am out the money if I repair or not. I will not be able to trade it in with the problem. Ford sucks.

- Anthony D., Buckeye, AZ, US

May 252017

Fusion

Power steering assist failed suddenly while driving. When steering is out on these vehicles is actually almost impossible to turn the wheel. I have driven old vehicles without power steering and this is twice as hard to steer. This vehicle is equipped with the EPAS. Apparently many people are having the same problem. I contacted Ford and they dined coverage because the EPAS software was updated in 2015 as part of a recall for defective EPAS. The software update did not accomplish anything as the EPAS failed after the recall software update. This is a huge safety concern that needs to be address ASAP, I guess Ford is waiting for fatal accidents to start occurring and increasing before they do something about this power steering defect.

- Erica C., Richmond, CA, US

Mar 252017

Fusion SE 2.4L

The power steering was not working when I started the car. To steer the car it took all the strength I had and then I could only turn a few degrees and frequently I had to back up and turn maybe a couple of times to get around a corner. It does get better with more speed, but still cannot get around a sharp turn.

- Roger P., Luther, OK, US

Aug 112016

Fusion SE 3.2L

Power Steering Assist Error popped last night on my 2011 Ford Fusion. Halfway out of the parking space, the car started making a funny dinging sound and the steering wheel locked and would not turn. Thank you God, I wasn't on the highway when this happened since there was no turning that wheel. I turned the car off, let it sit and 5 seconds, restarted and it worked fine.

Immediately starting researching and found this is an ongoing issue since 2014 ~ Average cost to repair has been close to $2,000 ~ There has since been a recall from Ford. Recall # 15S18 ~ If dealers find any loss of steering assist DTC's, the steering gear will be replaced, free of charge. If no codes are found, the PSCM software will be updated, at no cost.

I spoke to the service department at my local Ford dealer this morning. I mentioned the recall and he immediately stated this could be something completely different, so don't go assuming this is due to the recall. Then he stated since I heard the dinging and was unable to steer, the vehicle had to come in immediately.

Hopefully this will be covered under the recall. Will update once Ford service has taken a look.

Update from Oct 18, 2016: Ended up being the racket pinion. Had this replaced, under warranty thank God!

- ladyhawke, Sellersburg, USA

Nov 042015

Fusion SEL 2.5L

Power steering went out 2011 Ford Fusion was repaired in recall #15V340000 for the steering: electric power assist system. 11 months later it went out again. Ford refuse to fix said it was my problem. Won't buy Ford again

- Robert M., Palm City, FL, US

Nov 202016

Fusion SEL 3.0L

POWER ASSIST WENT OUT...(STEERING REALLY STIFF) THE DEALERSHIP REPROGRAMMED THE CAR, SAID WOULD NEED TO CHANGE THE POWER STEERING RACK IF IT HAPPENED AGAIN, IT DID. NOW, ITS ABOUT $4K TO FIX HERE IN CANADA....THAT IS HALF OF THE VALUE OF MY CAR! IF FORD DOESN'T COVER THE COST, I'M DONE WITH FORD FOREVER.

- G B., Montreal, QC, Canada

Feb 272017

Fusion LX

Was backing my car out of a parking space, started turning the wheel when notification signal came on and then error message "power steering failure". Could not turn the wheel at all. Restarted the car and it was fine. 2nd time in less than a week this has happened. Never has happened prior to the 1st time.

- Kelly N., Fayetteville, NY, US

Dec 212016

Fusion SE V6

My boyfriend and I were Driving to Tennessee and 100 miles into the drive on the highway the car started beeping and the "Service Advancetrac" came on then moments later "Power Steering Failure" . We lost power steering immediately. When we stopped for gas I removed both fuses and checked them, they were not blown. Shut car off for over 10 mins turned back on but same thing happened. Drove for 700 miles with no power steering. Took it over to Ed Ford in Sparta who wanted $1600.00 to replace the entire assembly. I declined the service. This is detrimental for me because I am a small women and I am now completely unable to drive the vehicle myself as I cannot turn the wheel at all. I hope there is a recall soon this is terrible.

- Mandi L., West Palm Beach, FL, US