8.5

$1,593.00

Most common solutions:

2. Recall (15 reports)
  3. replace steering assembly (13 reports)
  4. replaced steering rack (9 reports)
  5. ford covered repair (2 reports)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

Jan 012018

Fusion SE 2.4L

My ford fusion often had power steering failure. It happened numerous times since 2016. When it happened, it will be very difficult to drive and easy to get into an accident.

- , San Francisco, CA, US

Nov 252017

Fusion 4 Cil

My power steering assist fail warning went off on my dash and I was completely shocked. I had never heard of this issue before and didn't realize that my power steering was all electric for this model and year. I didn't know when they had switched over. After googling the issue, I realized that there had been a recall on 2010 to 2011 models of Ford Fusions and the exact thing that had happened to me was normal for this model around 80K+ miles. I am lucky that I wasn't on the highway when my power steering went out because I would have crashed and killed myself or someone else. I cannot even turn the wheel when it goes out. It's not like the older cars that even though it's rough, you can still turn it. Nope! Completely out and I don't have the strength to turn the wheel, so I would crash head on. Called the dealership only to find out that my car isn't on the recall list because it wasn't within the "build dates". I find this incredibly wrong that they wouldn't just issue a blanket recall for all the cars within that time frame considering mine is doing the exact same thing. I called Ford Customer Relations (800-392-3673) to file a complaint but was only told that yes, my vehicle was not part of the recall, but they couldn't do anything until I got a diagnosis from the dealership. I asked for a "courtesy warranty" because I had seen it online and she then said that once I got the diagnosis, I could call back and tell them all of the details and they could see what options they have to assist me. This person is not in the department to make any decisions, and only puts in the complaints, so I don't know how accurate this is. She did make a point to tell me that the GOVERNMENT, and not FORD are the ones that push the recalls and that it's done from complaints and records of repairs. I wonder how many people had to scrap these cars because they couldn't afford the repairs? Which, by the way are on AVERAGE....$2000+. Ford should be ashamed of themselves because this is a huge safety issue. What if I have my kids or family in the car and it goes out? Can they handle the blood on their hands over fixing this known issue? I now cannot in good conscience drive it for my own safety and all of the others on the road, and now I'm forced with this dilemma of how am I going to get the money to fix it and how am I going to get to work to try to get the money to fix it?! I will update after I get the diagnosis from the dealership and talk to Ford again on what they tell me.

- , Utica, US

Nov 032017

Fusion

Brought my 2011 Ford Fusion (Mileage 61,014) to the local Ford dealership on 8/18/2015 for recall #15S18. They replaced the steering gear at this time no charge since the recall. On 11/3/2017 (Mileage 79,752) my power steering went again and they again replaced the steering gear but would not cover the cost this time. Was quoted the cost would be $1900.00 for the fix but after it was all said and done the bill ended up being $1182.76. I believe their should have been no charge since this problem had been supposedly fixed previously under a recall. I filed two complaints with Ford and was denied any monetary assistance on each complaint. Such a bummer as our family only drives Ford and has for years but am rethinking this now. Maybe Chevy will be our new company if Ford does not step up to the plate and address this issue!

- , Missoula, US

Sep 172017

Fusion SE 2.5L

Power steering assist message on dash lit up as I was pulling out of the driveway. The day before I was on the interstate for 300 mi.. Don't even want to think about what could have happened! ! ! I've driven manual steering cars and trucks in the past and it was fun. Steering the Fusion back into my garage was work ! Waited a half hour, drove Fusion around the block without incident. Called dealer, brought car in and dealer replaced Steering Gear and reprogrammed PSCM . Dealer told me a certain code came up during diagnostic so Ford was fixing it on a "Courtesy Warranty?" or something like that. Otherwise it would have been $2000.

Noticeable difference in car now that this problem is fixed. Reported this when it happened on the NHTSA site, but not here. Reporting it now because I think I have a Throttle problem, that I thought was fixed with this issue but apparently not.

- , Lemont, US

Jan 092017

Fusion SEL V6

Power steering failure while backing out of driveway. I find out today 08/12/17 after taking my car in for a throttle body failure (another recall) that there was a recall on it. I get all my servicing done at the ford dealership but not once has the service manager said anything about a recall on my vehicle. They said they don't do anything until there is a failure. Isn't this why there is a recall so the safety of everyone isn't endangered?

- , Chesapeake, US

Jan 052017

Fusion

I AM REALLY DISAPPOINTED WITH THIS CAR. WHEN I FIRST GOT THE CAR I WAS IN LOVE WITH IT UNTIL THE STEERING GEAR WENT OUT. I TOOK IT TO FORD DEALERSHIP AND WAS CHARGED AN ARM AND LEG TO GET IT FIXED. THIS ALL HAPPENED IN JANUARY 2017 AND NOW I AM FACED WITH THE SAME PROBLEM EXCEPT NOW I HAVE TO PAY 3100.00 TO HAVE IT REPAIRED. I FEEL THAT FORD SHOULD HONOR ME WITH THE DAMN RECALL THEY HAD AND REPLACE THE PART. I DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS BUT RIGHT IS RIGHT AND WRONG IS WRONG. FORD KNEW WHEN THEY MADE THIS CAR THAT THERE WAS AN ISSUE THAT WILL OCCUR WITH THE STEERING GEAR. THEY WILL NOT HELP ME IN ANY MEANS AT ALL. I AM REALLY DISSATISFIED WITH FORD. BE CAREFUL AND CHECK THINGS OUT BEFORE YOU GET ANYTHING FROM FORD.

- , Harrell, AR, US

Jun 152017

Fusion SE

Power steering assist fault. Why is my vehicle not covered under the recall along with the 400,000 that were recalled and it has the same problem? F*ck Ford F*ck Ford F*ck Ford. Never buy a vehicle new or used from them. They don't care about your safety. Just want to spend the least to fix the problem. Do not buy a Ford and put them out of business. I feel they put me out of business with not recalling my vehicle with the same problem as recalled vehicles. I am out the money if I repair or not. I will not be able to trade it in with the problem. Ford sucks.

- , Buckeye, AZ, US

May 252017

Fusion

Power steering assist failed suddenly while driving. When steering is out on these vehicles is actually almost impossible to turn the wheel. I have driven old vehicles without power steering and this is twice as hard to steer. This vehicle is equipped with the EPAS. Apparently many people are having the same problem. I contacted Ford and they dined coverage because the EPAS software was updated in 2015 as part of a recall for defective EPAS. The software update did not accomplish anything as the EPAS failed after the recall software update. This is a huge safety concern that needs to be address ASAP, I guess Ford is waiting for fatal accidents to start occurring and increasing before they do something about this power steering defect.

- , Richmond, CA, US

Mar 252017

Fusion SE 2.4L

The power steering was not working when I started the car. To steer the car it took all the strength I had and then I could only turn a few degrees and frequently I had to back up and turn maybe a couple of times to get around a corner. It does get better with more speed, but still cannot get around a sharp turn.

- , Luther, OK, US

Aug 112016

Fusion SE 3.2L

Power Steering Assist Error popped last night on my 2011 Ford Fusion. Halfway out of the parking space, the car started making a funny dinging sound and the steering wheel locked and would not turn. Thank you God, I wasn't on the highway when this happened since there was no turning that wheel. I turned the car off, let it sit and 5 seconds, restarted and it worked fine.

Immediately starting researching and found this is an ongoing issue since 2014 ~ Average cost to repair has been close to $2,000 ~ There has since been a recall from Ford. Recall # 15S18 ~ If dealers find any loss of steering assist DTC's, the steering gear will be replaced, free of charge. If no codes are found, the PSCM software will be updated, at no cost.

I spoke to the service department at my local Ford dealer this morning. I mentioned the recall and he immediately stated this could be something completely different, so don't go assuming this is due to the recall. Then he stated since I heard the dinging and was unable to steer, the vehicle had to come in immediately.

Hopefully this will be covered under the recall. Will update once Ford service has taken a look.

Update from Oct 18, 2016: Ended up being the racket pinion. Had this replaced, under warranty thank God!

- , Sellersburg, USA

Nov 042015

Fusion SEL 2.5L

Power steering went out 2011 Ford Fusion was repaired in recall #15V340000 for the steering: electric power assist system. 11 months later it went out again. Ford refuse to fix said it was my problem. Won't buy Ford again

- , Palm City, FL, US

Nov 202016

Fusion SEL 3.0L

POWER ASSIST WENT OUT...(STEERING REALLY STIFF) THE DEALERSHIP REPROGRAMMED THE CAR, SAID WOULD NEED TO CHANGE THE POWER STEERING RACK IF IT HAPPENED AGAIN, IT DID. NOW, ITS ABOUT $4K TO FIX HERE IN CANADA....THAT IS HALF OF THE VALUE OF MY CAR! IF FORD DOESN'T COVER THE COST, I'M DONE WITH FORD FOREVER.

- , Montreal, QC, Canada

Feb 272017

Fusion LX

Was backing my car out of a parking space, started turning the wheel when notification signal came on and then error message "power steering failure". Could not turn the wheel at all. Restarted the car and it was fine. 2nd time in less than a week this has happened. Never has happened prior to the 1st time.

- , Fayetteville, NY, US

Dec 212016

Fusion SE V6

My boyfriend and I were Driving to Tennessee and 100 miles into the drive on the highway the car started beeping and the "Service Advancetrac" came on then moments later "Power Steering Failure" . We lost power steering immediately. When we stopped for gas I removed both fuses and checked them, they were not blown. Shut car off for over 10 mins turned back on but same thing happened. Drove for 700 miles with no power steering. Took it over to Ed Ford in Sparta who wanted $1600.00 to replace the entire assembly. I declined the service. This is detrimental for me because I am a small women and I am now completely unable to drive the vehicle myself as I cannot turn the wheel at all. I hope there is a recall soon this is terrible.

- , West Palm Beach, FL, US

Nov 212016

Fusion SE 3.0L

For about 6 months now I have been having an issue with my car where the power steering failure light would turn on when I was going from reverse into drive and turning the wheel. The wheel would lock up. I would turn the car off and on and it would reset itself. But this week, in two different incidents it happened while I was driving and thank God I didn't get into an accident. I parked the car in a parking lot each time coasting in and reset it by turning it off and on. I barely saw that there is a power steering recall and called Ford. They said it would take a few days to check the car. :( I cant afford to fix something I didn't even do to the car.

- , Austin, TX, US

Oct 182016

Fusion SE 4 cyl

Recall 15S18 Power Steering Recall performed Aug 01,2015 While driving on a dry, sunny day on the inside lane of a 6 lane (one way) highway in Dallas early rush hour, the steering began to feel odd. I checked the dash and found the Advance Trac light illuminated. I thought I'd accidentally pressed the button when turning on the AC. I pushed the button to turn it off and the Advance Trac off light illuminated then turned off. I decided to make my way to the outside lane and exit the interstate which was approximately 300 yards away. This was done with little effort, but something just didn't feel right.

As soon as I was on the exit ramp, I felt the steering wheel resist as I tried to steer to the right. Driving at 30 mph or slower, I quickly got into the right lane and turned immediately into the driveway of a large shopping center. I made 2 right turns about 25 feet apart and the a wide left turn into a parking space. These turns were extremely difficult to make, the steering wheel required plenty of strength and effort to turn. The upside is the parking area I turned into was vacant except for traffic exiting the shopping center. I was frazzled to say the least and turned off the car, walked around it to insure the tires were correctly positioned and that there was nothing stuck underneath the car.

At that point I turned the key in the ignition to make a phone call and I tried the steering wheel, it moved with not too much effort. After several minutes I started the 4 mile drive home at a snail's pace to insure I could control the car. This is an experience I definitely could have done without. I am afraid to drive my car to the dealership 25 miles away for fear of the same thing occurring, however I will need to get the car there as I must have a car. Looking into towing it or getting a car dolly so that I don't have to actually drive it.

Now, the question is, if my car had the recall "fix" why did this occur? Apparently Ford's "software fix" fourteen months earlier did not resolve a problem that I hadn't experienced up to that time.

Update from Feb 5, 2017: After a call to the Ford 800#, an appointment was set up. They were unable to guarantee my vehicle repair would be covered. Regardless of their decision I needed my car to be fixed and was seriously considering trading in my car which was paid off, and purchasing a different make/brand.
The Ford dealership advised that my car was eligible to be fixed at no cost to me. I was surprised and relieved, apparently my vehicle did show the "codes" required for a covered repair.

- , Richardson, TX, US

Dec 042015

Fusion SE 3.2L

In a common day when I start my Ford Fusion 2011 the "POWER STEERING ASSIST FAULT" light it turned ON, I turned OFF the car, then I turned ON again and the light went off. So I continued my day. But when I leave my work at 5:00 am the light goes ON again and the car has no POWER STEERING. That was a PAIN in the ASS because I live 35 miles away from my house. When I went to the dealer and they said that the parts had no warranty. Ford has a RECALL for the FUSION 2011 like mine but the VIN # of my car was not included in the RECALL and I had to paid for the repair like $2000 that sucks.

- , Homestead, FL, USA

Jun 112016

Fusion SE

My 2011 Ford Fusion is having a light on that says Power Steering Assist Faulty. It's happened about 6 times. I turn my car on and the warning beeps and the light reads Power Steering Assist Faulty. The wheel is completely locked until I turn it off and restart the car again. It then clears the warning light and I'm able to drive again.

I took it to Ford on June 17th, 2016. I was told that it's covered in a customer satisfaction recall up to 150,000 miles. My car is at 101,000 miles. It should be covered. Ford won't fix it because it's not pulling up a code. It's happened 6 times. One time I'm not going to be as lucky and I might be driving the car with my three children in the car. I don't care if it has a light or not. I had pictures with the warning light. I did another recall for the steering that had the little wrench light. My car was reprogrammed and I thought it was fixed.

I now have this problem. I believe they should fix this for me because eventually I will be driving and if I wreck because they wouldn't fix it they'll have a lawsuit. When they fixed the last recall for steering I was driving and the car started shaking and the I could hardly drive to turn around and go home. They tried to say that it could be my battery, but my battery is less than a year old and it was just checked with my oil change.

- , Oakley, CA, USA

Jun 122016

Fusion

My 19 yr old son was driving home from work when the power steering it went out. Fortunately he was driving slow and only ended up in the neighbors front yard. Took it to the ford dealer and it has a recall on it it. They are replacing it.

- , Evansville, IN, USA

Apr 112016

Fusion SE

My 2011 ford fusion steering gear failed. The 2011 ford fusion is under a recall for this part however, Ford Motor company only provided the Recall for vehicles that were made after 7 September 2010 in their Mexico Plant. Mine however meets every single criteria except it was made in August of 2010. Imagine that FORD not being inclusive in their research and the consumer taking the hit for their FAILURE.

- , Oologah, OK, USA