8.2

$1,650.00

Most common solutions:

2. Ford should repair for free (8 reports)
  3. replace steering assembly (5 reports)
  4. replaced rack (3 reports)
  5. steering rack was replaced (3 reports)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

Mar 162015

Fusion SE

The power steering rack went out on my 2011 Ford Fusion. I could not drive it while being fixed which was a pain, but I did get a loner vehicle to use for the gas used while being fixed. I paid to have the vehicle towed to the Ford garage. It sat for the weekend. After the diagnosis I had to come into town (17 miles) to pay for the part before it would be ordered. The problem occurred on a Thursday and it was repaired the following Wednesday at the end of the day. Total bill was $1708 and change. With a three warranty it was not covered. However there have been 94 complaints on the vehicle model of which 39 were for the power steering rack. Other Fusion models were fixed under a recall. I believe mine should also be covered by Ford because other models were covered. I am fortunate the power steering went out on a city street and not on an interstate highway while I was driving the previous week driving at 65 mph. I am 71 year old widow and do not drive recklessly. Many power steering racks last well over 100,000 miles. I really don't feel safe in this car anymore. I probably will be car shopping at another brand dealer.

- , Nekoosa, WI, USA

May 092013

Fusion LS 4

We bought this 2011 Ford Fusion... everyone said it was such a great car, so we bought one....a few months after we bought it (used) driving down the road lost all control of the power steering. No warnings that it was going to go out, until after it did. Thankfully my husband was driving. I can't drive the car and we don't have the money to fix the problem and pay the payments. It is going to cost us 2200 dollars to fix it and we have done a lot of research and a lot of the Fusions and other models have the same issue they have recalled some of the other ones but not the Fusion and we think that this is a MAJOR problem and would like it fixed....

- , Gladewater, TX, USA

Feb 142015

Fusion SE 4 cyl

I have a 2011 Ford Fusion SE that I have not even had for a year, bought from an authorized dealership. The steering gear has to be replaced, there is a pending recall for the issues but upon speaking with Ford it seems my car is not on the list when it should be. I'm having the exact same issue in question but cannot get any help.

The error popped up on my dash and I immediately contacted my local Ford Dealer to take it in but was unable to make it there due to the steering completely locked up. No one wants to help or assist in the matter, all they can say is sorry. I mean, does someone have to die or be severely injured before something is done and sue Ford before any action is taken. It is a very serious issue. Luckily I was not on the interstate with my two children when the steering goes completely out.

These companies should be liable and held accountable for their faulty and poor work that they have done putting these vehicles together. I will never in my life purchase another Ford vehicle, they are unsafe and Ford does not want to take the responsibility for them. Where is the justice? For a single poor working mother like myself there is none and there response, we are sorry. Sorry doesn't fix my vehicle or keep my family safe when we pull out onto the road in a vehicle that we think is safe.

- , glasgow, KY, USA

Jan 072015

Fusion SEL 3.0L

I dropped the car off today again for having the steering lock while trying to drive. This is the second appointment this week but at least this time they seemed to find the problem. My car has a little over 45000 miles so I guess I will have to get rid of it before I reach 90000.They said it was the power steering rack that needs to be replaced. I hope this works. I guess I will find out tomorrow when my red lemon is ready.

- , New City, NY, USA

Dec 302014

Fusion SE 2.4L

The car was in motion when the power steering failed. No prior warnings. Luckily we were only traveling at 25 mph when it occurred. The Ford Fusion 2011 SE has the electric or electronic power steering assist. Now the error message says to service immediately. I saw similar problems of this nature on YouTube. The fix suggested a simple turn off turn on of the ignition. No help for my problem. Ford is recommending total replacement of the rack or ,"gear box," at a cost to me of $2,000.

I heard the federal government NTSB is investing but I am very upset at the cost of this repair and now the potential safety of driving this car. I now have a at payment parked in my driveway that I can,t ethically sell to address this problem. This is my third Fusion in 5 years, ( 2011, 2013, & 2015) and 9 Ford vehicles lifetime; I am headed to Toyota.

- , Stockton, CA, USA

Nov 262014

Fusion SEL 3.0L

On November 26, 2014. I was leaving the grocery store and the steering was hard to turn, the dashboard lit up and ad had power steering fail asst. I had to drive home with this problem which was very hard and could have cause an accident. I took it to the dealership ( Natchez Ford Lincoln Mercury) Natchez,MS. The estimated price they gave me was around $1,562.00 plus tax. to replace the electrical steering system.

I called the Ford Corporation and they said by it was not under warranty and I would have to have this part replaced. I feel that this is a default on their part and I should not have to pay for this part. I will assure you that I will report this problem to the Department of Highway Safety. Many lives will be in danger with this malfunctioning going on in these Ford Fusions.

- , Natchez, MS, USA

Sep 152014

Fusion SE 3.2L V6

On Sept. 25 steering out again.I'm 64 years old and I am afraid of this car . I take my 3 older sisters to their appointments & to do their errands I need a dependable car. Don't trust this one. Car is still in the shop at a ford dealer. Ford Motor company should be aware of these problems. Very dangerous.

- , Knoxville, Tenn., USA

Sep 152014

Fusion SE 3.2L V6

On Sunday Sept. 15 my steering went out on my 2011 ford fusion. Had it towed to the shop on Monday Morning. Got it back on Friday Sept. 19. It cost me 677.14 because with the warranty I purchased it does not cover labor.With a problem as serious as this you would think Ford motor company would be responsible for the repairs. No rental was given.

- , Knoxville, Tenn., USA

May 052014

Fusion ESL V6

I was the owner of a 2011 Ford Fusion AWL SEL V6, which I bought because of top reviews by car reporters for safety, performance, reliability, careful consideration and many test drives with most models in the range. It was a lovely car meeting all my expectations until my first steering failure. With the second steering failure I began to believe that this car was a threat to life.

On May 5, 2014, my wife returned to the car after running an errand only to find that the steering would not work.The car was towed to the nearest dealer: Steele Ford Lincoln, Halifax, NS Can. Two days, $2,600.00 lighter in the pockets and a new steering rack, we were on our way prepared to forgive and forget and move on as just bad luck.

This lasted until Sunday, Aug 3, 2014 when my wife and I were touring with friends. Bells went off and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree directing me to pull over. I parked the car. Again there was a power steering failure. A tow truck was summed while we struggled to find transportation back home. Again the car was taken to the nearest Ford dealership: Mahone Auto.

Tuesday, Aug 5, 2014 I was contacted by Mahone Auto, The mechanic stated that the codes had been reset and the car could be driven but the "rearward/half front lower control arms needed replacement". Cost c$700.00. I informed them that I would take the car as is and get back to him later.

I phoned and wrote a letter to Ford Canada detailing problems with no satisfaction. I also contacted Steel Ford Lincoln Halifax. I explained the second breakdown. They stated that they would talk to Mahone Auto and contact me later; which they did. I talked with the head mechanic. He stated that Steel Ford disagreed with Mahone Auto. I asked " if this is the case; to explain the second breakdown", with no satisfaction.

I questioned the replacement of the rack and other electronic steering problems with this car that I had been reading about online. I requested a second look at the car because I no longer felt "safe at any speed". His reply was: We can't do that, because it is now working."

We continued to disagree about the obvious fact that there was something clearly wrong with the steering on the Fusion and my concern about a failure while driving on the highway at high speeds. He assured me, that it would not happen, and if it did, I could muscle it over to the side.

I felt so unsure of this car that I decided to purchase another car. Not wanting to unload it on some unsuspecting person I took it to Steele Hyundai Halifax and made a trade for a new Sonata and then told them about the problems with the Fusion as would be documented at Steele Ford Lincoln who were across the street.

Ford has not acknowledged any fault with the steering in the Fusion to me. They requested detailed information at the time, but there has never been any follow up.

Ed McClare Hubbards, NS Canada

- , Hubbards, Nova Scotia, Canada

Oct 072014

Fusion SE 2.5L

Got in car to go to store, pulled up to stop sign, gased car to pullout on highway at about 30 mph the steering locked, hard to turn or maneuver, lights come on dash to service power steering now. We fought car to turn around in parking lot to go back home, which was a nightmare for a 50 year old woman as your trembling with fear of being broke down on side of road at night. Got home, made calls to Crest Ford in Flatrock, MI. for diagnosis of another problem with this p.o.s! Tow to dealer for a cost of $50 because dealer said, after 2 hrs of my wasted time, it needed a new RACK AND PINION, that will be about $2000!!!!!!!!! Not covered under warranty!

I don't have that kind of cash, so, they said they temporarily reset something in the whichamajigger to offset problem for temporary and that didn't even come with ajar of Vaseline or tube of k-y gel to ease penetration into my #$*()+= wallet! OUCH! Tried calling Ford (screwed up) Motor Company for sympathy/empathy with my problem and they said same, No Warranty mam, #UP YOUR NOSE, WITH RUBBER HOSE.

I'll never buy another American made automobile! Problem is still on and off, scary as hell to drive this nightmare! Looking for best cost online and hoping my friendly mechanic can lower cost and help with payments to fix and drop this p.o.s off on some other undeserving soul, SORRY!

- , Rockwood, MI, USA

Sep 012013

Fusion SEL

For no particular reason, upon getting in the car one morning the power steering failed to work.

- , New Richmond, OH, USA

Oct 242014

Fusion 3L V6

This has happened about 6 times in the three years I have owned the car. The rack and pinion assembly was , I seem to remember, replaced about two years ago, but the problem has recurred three times since then as far as I can remember, In each case I merely had to restart the car to fix things. Such an intermittent problem cannot readily be shown to the Ford repair place, and it has never been known to happen while driving at highway speeds, only at start up or at very low speed soon after starting. To recover my procedure has been to put car in neutral if it is moving and restart the engine so the steering is turned on.

- , Irvine, CA, USA

Aug 162014

Fusion

Ford should be responsible for replacing the steering rack and pinion in my vehicle due to what I believe is equipment defect. The power steering in my vehicle is out and what the Ford dealer estimated repair is outrageous and the part itself is going to cost over $700.

- , Round Rock, TX, USA

Jul 212014

Fusion SE 2.5L

My power steering has gone out multiple times over the last 3 months. Sometimes the AutoTrac failure light comes on when it happens, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the power steering comes back on its own or with turning on and off the car, sometimes it doesn't. Looked into having it fixed out of fear it will happen while I'm driving and cause me to have a wreck, but it's going to cost around $2000, right, and our family can't afford that at this time.

Really aggravating when it happens when I'm parked in tight parking spaces or maneuvering in a parking garage. I traded my Chevy Silverado when I bought this car new, have regretted it for awhile now.

- , Edmond, OK, USA

Sep 292014

Fusion SE 2.5L I4

Was waiting at red light and got an error "Power Steering failure", "Repair AdvancedTrac" and then I lost my power steering. When I manage to stop the car and restart, error was gone and power steering was back. Happened 3 times since then.

- , St-Amable, QUÉBEC, canada

Oct 132014

Fusion SEL 3.0L V6

Second time this has happened, had it fixed... had it reset and still I'm about to crash this bitch into Ford.

- , San Diego, TX, USA

Jul 082014

Fusion SEL 4 cyl

Second occurrence: Still in the garage, turned the engine on. Chime and same message -- power steering failure. Turned the engine off, then restarted. Ran OK. Again. For a while. See my next complaint.

- , Brook Park, OH, USA

Jul 232014

Fusion SEL 4 cyl

This is my third complaint about the power steering failure. This one scared the Hell out of me! Driving on the turnpike, 70 mph in the center lane. Suddenly, the chime and the same message. NO POWER STEERING. Barely made it to the right hand berm. Turned the engine off, then on. Everything OK, again! Supposing I had been trying to pass someone with a concrete wall on my left? I, (and another dozen cars), could have been involved in a horrific accident.

Talked to a service advisor-- he said this problem does not leave any information in the car's computer. So when I turn it off, there is no record of what went wrong. So they can't fix it!

Wrote an email to Ford, told them the entire story. Just received a phone call from "Jimmy" at 866-631-3788. He said the same thing. He also said they don't have ANY complaints about this from anyone else. I Googled "power assist failure, Ford 2011 Fusion" and found a computer full of the same complaints. Don't you think Ford could Google the same thing?

Now I know they don't give a damn. I've been a Ford buyer since 1961. Never again. So what do I do now? Pass this off to an unsuspecting buyer and hope they are not killed? Question: MY piece of Ford craftsmanship was made in Mexico. I wonder if the other problems are related.

- , Brook Park, OH, USA

Jun 112014

Fusion SEL V6

I could repeat my problem with the steering but I see it all over here and other sites .....I would like to know if there is a class action lawsuit in Virginia for this? I notice one going on in California. Can you be part of an out of state lawsuit?

- , Marshall, VA, USA

Jun 252014

Fusion SEL V6

The Power Steering Assist Fault light came on at a low rate of speed entering highway during rush hour. After 1/2 mile of white knuckle driving trying to control it, I managed to exit the highway. Turned off the car for about 10 min and restarted. Warning light disappeared and power steering returned. After researching this issue, I am not confident this won't happen again. Anyone know the fix for this issue?

- , Midlothian, TX, USA