Most common solutions:

2. Recall (10 reports)
  3. replace steering assembly (10 reports)
  4. replaced steering rack (7 reports)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

Nov 062015

Fusion SE

2011 Ford Fusion...all was well then BAM all sorts of lights and dingers going off telling me to service Power Steering and Traction. After reading other complaints, I am concerned! I made an appointment for service, but it will not take place for a few days. In the mean time, I am scared to death to drive the POS.

- , Auburn, MI, USA

Oct 022015

Fusion SEL 2.5L

2011 Ford Fusion I was driving and service advancetrac came on. Turn off car started it and check advancetrac now come on. Lost power steering completely. Talk to Ford mechanic, they didn't know what cause this or even heard about this happening. Maybe can update their mechanic more. You know how frustrating it is to call a Ford garage and they haven't heard about this problem and cannot give you a clue. Especially on a weekend and you have to worry about it for two days, lost a lot of sleep so far. Trying to figure out how to pay for a problem I don't know what is yet.

- , Waterloo, IA, USA

Oct 012015

Backing out of parking lot started turning and couldn't turn steering wheel. Car cut off by itself. I was blocking traffic in the parking lot both ways.I am so upset and I feel lost because it appears that the dealer knew about all the problems and did not tell us about them.

- , Anaheim, CA, USA

Sep 302015

Fusion SE 4 cyl

In June of 2013 I had my first power steering failure on the highway driving around 65 miles a hour. I pulled over to check the power steering fluid, not knowing it didn't have any. Seeing that the power brake fluid was a little low, I got back in the car and drove about 2 miles down the road to a service station and bought some power steering fluid, putting it in my brake reservoir not thinking. Got back in the car and it was fine and when I got home checked again and realized what I did. Removed the fluid and all was well. Then after that I just kept having the same problem another 5 times but knew to shut the engine off and restart it.

After the first time in June I went to the Ford dealer and had it checked out but they couldn't find anything wrong and charged me $134 but said if there was a recall, I would get my money back. Well this year in June, US DOT NHTSA announced a recall "Loss of Power Steering Assist "NHTSA Campaign Number;15V34000 with a phone # 1-888-327-4236. With this information I went to my dealer who in turn checked with Ford Motor Co. of Canada and said there was a recall and okayed the repair to reset the computer.

This was done on Monday Sept.28, 2015.The next day I had the same problem and went back to the dealer on the 30th. Today they found a code in the computer and told me that was good news.They kept the car for a few hours and gave me a lift home. A couple of hours later they called me and told me they had to change the power steering box and it will be covered under Ford's extended warranty. No cost to me. {A $3000 approx repair.} I have a 2 to 3 week wait for them to get the part and then it will be fixed. I hope for good. Hats off to the Montmorency Ford in Brossard Quebec.

PS they will probably give me back the $134 I spent to have it checked out last year.

- , st.hubert, QC, Canada

Aug 012015

Fusion SE 2.5L I4

My husband and I were out doing some Saturday morning running around. We went into the store and came out, started the engine and all these warning lights came on. I tried to turn the steering wheel and it was very hard to turn, so my husband had to drive it home and on the way we stopped by our local Autozone and we were told that this car was controlled by an electric system, so now we are stuck.

We both work in totally opposite directions, so we are now burdened with having to try to get it repaired somewhere reasonable. I just purchased the car used from a dealership in January of 2014. This is going to cause a great financial burden to the household. If I had known that this was a possibility with this particular vehicle I never would have purchased it. I should have researched it more. I could just hang myself. This has caused me a tremendous amount of stress and anxiety after reading all the other horror stories associated with this same problem. I am devastated and angry. Ford used to have such a good reputation and for them to manufacture and sell cars with this type of deficiency is deplorable.

- , Waco, TX, USA

Sep 162015

Fusion SEL 4 cyl

Supposedly there is a recall for this problem but when we took it in, they say this car is not under the recall. How can this car not be on the recall when it obviously has the problem indicated on the recall. Ford claims it depends where car was made if it is under recall or not, so why do I have the problem it is recalled for. Please call Ford and add to this complaint they tell us enough calls and we will all get a refund on the 1,500 dollars we spent to fix the car we are still paying for. Here is the number 1-800-392-3673 make them do what is right....

- , Wichita, KS, USA

Sep 122015

Fusion SEL

September 12, 2015 - I was on the freeway when the power steering all but locked up. A message - 'Power Steering Assist Failure' - appeared on the dashboard. There was only enough play in the wheel to turn 1/4 of the way to the left and 1/8 to the right. I was unable to successfully turn off to the shoulder. I sped up and drove as far down the freeway and as far away from traffic to where I could shut the engine off and restart it, restoring the power steering and clearing the dashboard message.

I took the car to the Ford dealership: They said all they could do is follow Ford's prescribed protocol, which is to re-program the power steering module and then drive it 25 miles to see if the tech can recreate the steering failure. The car drove perfectly. The situation is now left where the dealership has an open ticket on my car...meaning if it happens again, I can bring the car back and they will replace the power steering module free of charge (covered under warranty). If I'm not in the hospital or morgue. There really needs to be a recall on this model.

- , San Diego, USA

May 172015

Fusion 4.0L

So I'm seeing the same problem complained about on this site for my power steering problem. I would think Ford would have had a recall on this issue. I am a single mother with hardly any income. I am sick about the cost to fix my car. I called Ford Corporate and spoke to someone about his issue and asked if there were any recalls. They told me "no" of course. However, he did tell me that I did the right thing to call corporate because if enough people call them, this is how they decide if a recall needs to be granted.

PLEASE, if you have complained on this site about this issue with your power steering issue, call corporate 1-800-392-3673 and voice your concern. This could help ALL OF US. As long as you have proof that you paid to have this fixed, it doesn't matter how long ago. Ford would most like reimburse you. Please take the time and call the above number and report your situation. They need to hear our concerns so they can fix this problem before others have the same issue. I cannot afford to pay this and I am so beside myself as to how I will get my car fixed. Nobody has $2,000 to just hand over to Ford. Well maybe some do but I don't. Thanks people, I appreciate your efforts to get this situation under control...please call NOW.

- , Buffalo, MN, USA

Jun 182014

While backing up, my Fusion steering will lock and a power steering failure message will come up. I have to put the car back in park and then turn it off and start over. Typically, this is only required once but, of course, the day I was going to pick up my daughter to take her to the Emergency Room at 4 a.m., it locked up TWICE! Scary! If this happens while I'm going forward! Keep waiting for the recall!

- , Bloomington, IL, USA

Jun 292015

Fusion SE

Yesterday, about 5:45 pm, which is rush hour traffic in Dallas, Texas, I was driving 70 mph down George Bush Tollway when without any warning, the power steering went out on my 2011 Ford Fusion. The traction control icon lit up on the dashboard and the dashboard read Power Steering Assist Faulty. I had no idea what had happened or why this was happening. I was able to get off the tollway without injury to myself or the other drivers around me and pull into a parking lot.

I called my husband who advised to turn the car off and back on, which I did, and the lights were off and the power steering was back. This car with this problem is a DANGER to everyone on the road. It happens with NO WARNING!! I cannot imagine if an inexperienced driver or an elderly person had this happen to them. It was next to impossible to steer the car. By the grace of God, I was extremely fortunate. I cannot believe Ford has not immediately recalled this.

This car is a ROAD HAZARD and a murder waiting to happen. Ford Motor Company, you must RECALL this immediately before someone is killed, if they haven't been already. My husband took the car this morning to North Central Ford in Richardson, Texas, where I purchased the car. We have yet to see if they will fix it with no cost to me or what the actual fix will be or how long they will have the car. The biggest problem is that I have lost my trust in my car, which I depend on to keep my family safe, and I have lost my trust in Ford Motor Company.

- , Allen, TX, USA

Jun 292015

Fusion SE 2.5L L4

Went over too a buddy's house then went leave and could hardly turn the wheel. A warning light came on saying service advanced trac and service power steering so I turned the car off and went and got my buddy, who tried to drive it and had the same problem. Still doesn't work. Had to borrow his other car so I could make it home. From the sounds of things on here, its going to be more than I can afford. So either Ford does there job right and fix this damn thing or I'm switching auto makers

- , Depauw, IN, USA

Oct 222014

Fusion SEL 3.5L

On 10/22/2014 my wife was driving home from Halifax and felt it very difficult to steer on the highway so she reduced speed to a slow pace and had difficulty turning into the driveway. I took the vehicle to the local garage to determine the problem. They did not have the required testing equipment to find the code problem, so advised I take it to the dealer Fairly and Stevens. They could not diagnose the problem so they had to contact Ford Motor company who advised what to do.

The cost to us was cdn $1,113.83. The next day I contacted Ford about the safety of the problem and suggested it should be covered by warranty or a recall since it was a known fact that Ford had a problem with the steering.This just caused more grief and frustration with a fear that something would reoccur. The person I talked to said to keep the receipt as there may be a recall. I am completely disgusted with the Ford Motor company and the local dealer Fairly and Stevens that I have told the dealer I will never purchase another Ford. All I received from the reception was that I am sorry but nothing from the owners or mechanical staff. Good bye Ford

- , Middle Sackville, NS, Canada

May 252015

My husband went to drive his car home and the steering wheel would not turn. A warning light came on indication power steering failure. He turn the car off then on again and it reset, allowing him to drive home. This happens repeatedly on a daily basis. This car is barely 4 years old, very well taken care of and is still being paid for. It's extremely disappointing that this seems to be a known failure that FORD has actually recalled on other vehicles but not the Fusion. Having your power steering go out while driving is lethal. Someone will get killed by an accident with this failure. I really don't appreciate having to fork out almost 2k to get this fixed.

- , Sanger, TX, USA

Mar 162015

Fusion SE

The power steering rack went out on my 2011 Ford Fusion. I could not drive it while being fixed which was a pain, but I did get a loner vehicle to use for the gas used while being fixed. I paid to have the vehicle towed to the Ford garage. It sat for the weekend. After the diagnosis I had to come into town (17 miles) to pay for the part before it would be ordered. The problem occurred on a Thursday and it was repaired the following Wednesday at the end of the day. Total bill was $1708 and change. With a three warranty it was not covered. However there have been 94 complaints on the vehicle model of which 39 were for the power steering rack. Other Fusion models were fixed under a recall. I believe mine should also be covered by Ford because other models were covered. I am fortunate the power steering went out on a city street and not on an interstate highway while I was driving the previous week driving at 65 mph. I am 71 year old widow and do not drive recklessly. Many power steering racks last well over 100,000 miles. I really don't feel safe in this car anymore. I probably will be car shopping at another brand dealer.

- , Nekoosa, WI, USA

Jun 022014

Fusion SE

I purchased this car used. I have checked for any recalls and I keep getting the run around. There is no recall on the power steering on the 2011 Ford Fusion. That is bull to me. I can't afford to pay for this part to be repaired. People keep coming to me saying that they saw it somewhere that it had a recall, but when I took it to the Ford place they said no.. This is their mistake. When they built this car they put in an electric pump. I would like some justice. That means it needs to be repaired by the company that produced these cars. I am not the only one this has or will happen to..The car is a very nice car, but this is ridiculous. So I am asking the courts to reconsider..

- , Erwin, NC, USA

May 092013

Fusion LS 4

We bought this 2011 Ford Fusion... everyone said it was such a great car, so we bought one....a few months after we bought it (used) driving down the road lost all control of the power steering. No warnings that it was going to go out, until after it did. Thankfully my husband was driving. I can't drive the car and we don't have the money to fix the problem and pay the payments. It is going to cost us 2200 dollars to fix it and we have done a lot of research and a lot of the Fusions and other models have the same issue they have recalled some of the other ones but not the Fusion and we think that this is a MAJOR problem and would like it fixed....

- , Gladewater, TX, USA

Feb 142015

Fusion SE 4 cyl

I have a 2011 Ford Fusion SE that I have not even had for a year, bought from an authorized dealership. The steering gear has to be replaced, there is a pending recall for the issues but upon speaking with Ford it seems my car is not on the list when it should be. I'm having the exact same issue in question but cannot get any help.

The error popped up on my dash and I immediately contacted my local Ford Dealer to take it in but was unable to make it there due to the steering completely locked up. No one wants to help or assist in the matter, all they can say is sorry. I mean, does someone have to die or be severely injured before something is done and sue Ford before any action is taken. It is a very serious issue. Luckily I was not on the interstate with my two children when the steering goes completely out.

These companies should be liable and held accountable for their faulty and poor work that they have done putting these vehicles together. I will never in my life purchase another Ford vehicle, they are unsafe and Ford does not want to take the responsibility for them. Where is the justice? For a single poor working mother like myself there is none and there response, we are sorry. Sorry doesn't fix my vehicle or keep my family safe when we pull out onto the road in a vehicle that we think is safe.

- , glasgow, KY, USA

Jan 072015

Fusion SEL 3.0L

I dropped the car off today again for having the steering lock while trying to drive. This is the second appointment this week but at least this time they seemed to find the problem. My car has a little over 45000 miles so I guess I will have to get rid of it before I reach 90000.They said it was the power steering rack that needs to be replaced. I hope this works. I guess I will find out tomorrow when my red lemon is ready.

- , New City, NY, USA

Dec 302014

Fusion SE 2.4L

The car was in motion when the power steering failed. No prior warnings. Luckily we were only traveling at 25 mph when it occurred. The Ford Fusion 2011 SE has the electric or electronic power steering assist. Now the error message says to service immediately. I saw similar problems of this nature on YouTube. The fix suggested a simple turn off turn on of the ignition. No help for my problem. Ford is recommending total replacement of the rack or ,"gear box," at a cost to me of $2,000.

I heard the federal government NTSB is investing but I am very upset at the cost of this repair and now the potential safety of driving this car. I now have a at payment parked in my driveway that I can,t ethically sell to address this problem. This is my third Fusion in 5 years, ( 2011, 2013, & 2015) and 9 Ford vehicles lifetime; I am headed to Toyota.

- , Stockton, CA, USA

Nov 262014

Fusion SEL 3.0L

On November 26, 2014. I was leaving the grocery store and the steering was hard to turn, the dashboard lit up and ad had power steering fail asst. I had to drive home with this problem which was very hard and could have cause an accident. I took it to the dealership ( Natchez Ford Lincoln Mercury) Natchez,MS. The estimated price they gave me was around $1,562.00 plus tax. to replace the electrical steering system.

I called the Ford Corporation and they said by it was not under warranty and I would have to have this part replaced. I feel that this is a default on their part and I should not have to pay for this part. I will assure you that I will report this problem to the Department of Highway Safety. Many lives will be in danger with this malfunctioning going on in these Ford Fusions.

- , Natchez, MS, USA