Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 GMC Acadia:

Apr 012013

Acadia

There should be a recall on this car!!! while turning at low speeds, the power steering locks up.it is impossible to muscle the wheel. I almost got into an accident several times. This has happened many times. I cannot drive the car anymore as it is very dangerous!! there are so many complaints of the power steering locking up!! why isn't GMC looking into this"? do we have to wait until someone is seriously injured or killed"

- Glen Ellyn, IL, USA

May 152014

Acadia 6-cyl

We have had issues that are getting more serious with our 2009 GMC Acadia regarding loss of steering control at low speeds and when turning. The wheel will lock up and become extremely hard to complete the turn. It has gotten so bad that I will not allow my daughter to drive it as the issue could cause a serious accident. Our mechanic has been calling other dealers and nobody seems to know if it is the steering rack or pump. Both will cost around $1000 to fix and we still done know if the issue will be fixed. What is GMC doing about this. Steering issues could cause them more problems than getting this issue fixed.

- Morris Plains, NJ, USA

May 122014

Acadia 6-cyl

Wife was almost hit a couple of times today when there was a complete loss of power steering while turning at low speeds.

- Hamel, IL, USA

Apr 282014

Acadia 6-cyl

We were driving in a parking lot and as we began to turn left to park the car, the power steering failed. We had to stop suddenly to avoid a collision. It took incredible arm strength to straighten the car out to leave the parking lot - to return home with the car. When accelerating (higher RPM's) the power steering capability returned. When driving slowly to turn into our driveway, the steering not only failed - but also froze. No amount of arm strength could turn the wheels. This is a serious accident waiting to happen, and after searching online today - I found that this is a systemic issue with this make and model of GMC Acadia. I also found that a class action lawsuit has been filed for this same car defect. It is very disappointing that a recall has not been mandated, as this defect causes random steering failure and could be fatal.

- Fishers, IN, USA

Jan 152014

Acadia 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that a knocking and creaking noise was present when turning the steering wheel. The contact also indicated that the steering wheel became more difficult to turn. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who diagnosed that the steering gears were faulty and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 69,000. Updated 9/12/14

- Springfield, NE, USA

Nov 212013

Acadia

When going at slow speed turning to right or left is tight.

- Hawesville, KY, USA

Mar 042014

Acadia 6-cyl

The rack and pinion steering gear and power steering pump appear to be defective in my 2009 GMC Acadia. For the past several weeks my power steering will lock up or freeze mid-turn, which is very scary. The power steering is gone completely and I have to turn really hard before it seems to re-engage. I am unable to take tight turns in this situation and I am often on the wrong side of the road as I try to pull out of the turn waiting for the power steering to re-engage. I have been lucky so far that I have not run into any oncoming cars when the system locks up. My car is currently in the shop and we are looking at least $1500 worth of repairs.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Sep 202011

Acadia 6-cyl

I took my 2009 Acadia into the GMC dealer with around 65,000 miles on it after buying it used (1 previous owner) with around 42,000 miles. They told me I had a power steering leak in the rack and pinion and it would cost around $2000 to replace a seal because they have to pull the whole rack off. He told me it would be okay for a while, but eventually it would cause the power steering to go out. After researching, I've seen multiple other Acadia owners who have had the exact same problem. I have refused to pay for the repairs because I think this is a safety issue that has effected enough of this model vehicle to warrant a general safety recall. I know of 3 other people in my hometown who have experienced power steering problems with their Acadia's, and the GMC dealership acknowledged to me that it is a significant problem with GMC Acadia model years 2008-2012. If that's not enough, then I'm not sure what is, but if my power steering goes out while I'm driving, well, let this serve as notice to GMC.

- Morgantown, WV, USA

Feb 272014

Acadia 6-cyl

When making a turn at a low speed, the power steering failed. After a minute or two and pulling hard on the steering wheel, I hear a click and the power steering re-activates. Another incident just like the first one happened the next day. I did not drive the car again until I took it to the local GMC dealership. It has been the for 3 days and they say that they can not determine what the problem is. The car is not safe to drive until there problem is solved. Although I did not have an accident when this happened, it was very scary when I felt that I could not control the turning of the car. I see there are many incidents described just like this posted online.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Feb 012014

Acadia

Steering failure. Appears to be a prevalent complaint among owners of this vehicle. Safety hazard. GM should issue a recall.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Dec 312013

Acadia

The contact owns a 2009 GMC Acadia. The contact stated when the steering wheel was turned it made a knocking noise. The dealer performed a diagnostic test which located the failure in the steering gear box and the rack pinion ball rack assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 28,600.

- Crossett, AR, USA

Nov 092013

Acadia

The steering locks up at low speeds when trying to make a turn. It is extremely dangerous because it is almost impossible to get the vehicle to steer, I barely got mine off the road when it occurred. It is kind of a hit and miss situation, it does not happen on every turn you make; it might happen once and then the next turn it won't and then the next it locks up again. At this point I have my vehicle parked until it's repaired because it's too dangerous to operate because you never know when it will lock up and if you would be able to maintain control of your vehicle. This problem needs to be recalled, especially after so many complaints have been made of the same issue with the vehicle, before someone ends up injured due to the faulty steering. After reading all of the complaints I'm surprised GM has not addressed this issue.

- Hurley, VA, USA

Jan 032013

Acadia 6-cyl

On slow speeds the power steering goes out completely on turns this seems to be a ongoing issue due to other reports power steering just fails but not all the time someone is going to get injured badly as GM knows and you know of this problem.

- Langhorne, PA, USA

Nov 222011

Acadia 6-cyl

The power steering was noisy from around the date of purchase. This problem evolved into intermittent failure of the power steering at both low speeds and at highway speeds. The complaint has not been addressed adequately by General Motors even though I am finding many complaints for this same issue. In fact, there is a class action lawsuit pending currently (see below). The vehicle now has approximately 78,000 miles and the intermittent problem persists along with electrical issues on rh side of vehicle. The class action was brought on behalf all persons in the United States who purchased or leased any 2009 through 2012 GMC Acadia, 2009 through 2012 Buick enclave, or 2009 through 2012 Chevrolet traverse vehicles (collectively, ¿¿class vehicles¿) designed, manufactured marketed, distributed, sold, warranted and serviced by General Motors, llc and General Motors company this action arises out of a uniform and widespread defect in the integral steering system of an entire class of automobiles that poses an extremely unreasonable safety risk not only to the driver and passengers of the vehicle, but to other drivers on the road and pedestrians on the streets. The lawsuit alleges that the steering system in these vehicles are defective because steering may intermittently and drastically fail while the car is in motion (the ¿'steering defect¿), thus creating a serious safety risk. A copy of the complaint is attached here. Complaint: GM 4-1-13 the court denied GM's motion to dismiss and ordered it to answer the complaint. GM motion to dismiss.

- Amherst, NH, USA

Sep 132013

Acadia

At low speeds power steering failed. Need to be accellerating in order for power sterring to work. Seems like a default that should have a recall given that this isn't an uncommon experience. My mileage is really low and I am frankly surprised to have the issue. GMC should probably do a recall before someone gets hurt or killed. Hopefully this isn't a recurring issue after I get it fixed.

- Cortlandt Manor, NY, USA

Jul 032013

Acadia

During the last few months I have noticed a problem with my 2009 GMC Acadia. The problem occurs with the power steering failing when I am trying to steer or turn. It is as if the power steering stops working completely and I am forced to use manual steering which can be extremely difficult and is a serious safety issue.

- Winchester, CA, USA

Aug 242013

Acadia

The contact owns a 2009 GMC Acadia. The contact stated while traveling approximately 5 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The failure was not diagnosed nor was the vehicle repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was approximately 60,000.

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Aug 192013

Acadia 6-cyl

* transmission was slipping and revving up between gears. Delayed response and clunking sound when it is in reverse. "check engine light" also came on. Barely drove the car to the dealership for repairs. Dealership service advisor scheduled a transmission rebuild. After doing internet search, I saw countless complaints in blogs, sns, etc. There are so many people having this transmission problem. Not acceptable. GMC has powertrain warranty 5 year /100K miles. My warranty expires in four months and GM should provide extended powertrain warranty beyond 5 years based unreliable transmission design/quality. * power steering problem. Power steering is making moaning under low speed driving (in the parking lot, driving around subdivision, etc.). noise is coming from the inside steering column area. Also steering is very tight and hard. Complained to dealership multiple times. Dealership replaced the seal twice, but the problem is still there. Dealership told me that GM does not have a fix for this problem.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Jul 152013

Acadia 6-cyl

2009 GMC Acadia slt1 - 67,000 miles currently. Power steering failing at lower speeds. When purchasing the vehicle used with only 25,000M+- approx. 2 years ago, I questioned the dealership about the whining noise coming from the steering components and was told that this is normal for all acaidias and not a concern. Now the steering is failing at low speed turns. GMC service dept recommending: Steering gear housing $42.14 - 2 bolts $11 - 2 - bolts $7.59 - 6 - P/S fluid $23.10 and flush and bleed system, labor to replace steering gear housing $640.50 power steering pump $155.69 realign after steering gear repair $69.95 labor for pump $315 injectors and coils failing. In Dec 2011, I had to replace coils #2 & #3. I just replaced #6 injector on July 17, 2013 (= $685) and on July 24, 2013 (one week later) check engine light reappeared. GMC service dept recommending: 4 - ignition coils $373.30, 6 - spark plugs $42.25, labor for coils, and plugs $241.50............................................................ total parts $655.07 total labor $1197 tax $54.04 align $69.95 total: $1976.06 offering 40% customer portion pay $790.42 why is there no recall on defective steering components & coils/injectors? in the later 2012 models GM did change the power steering & fluid, so GM is aware that there is a problem with the design. The fuel delivery system is also defective and faulty coils/injectors could and have caused fires. GMC Acadia, Buick enclave & Chevrolet traverse vehicles up to early 2012 models share these above mentioned components are plagued by these two problems along with transmission (wave plate) problems. GM needs to take full responsibility for defective components and not offer discounted repairs.

- Weatherford, TX, USA

Jul 262013

Acadia

My 2009 GMC Acadia started to lock up while steering/turning. I took to dealership and was told I needed to replace my rack. They quoted me $1500! I could not afford this, so they told me it's drivable but will eventually get worse. I cannot park easy in parking lots, I can't make easy turns and it's terrifying when I take my kids in the car. I took it other places - some said it's the rack and others it's the pump. So far I had to replace coils every month, my engine had to be remodeled after a rod snapped off into it and now this! please recall this!!!!!!!!! it's a safety issue and way too costly!

- Peckville, PA, USA