Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Accord:

Jan 122018

Ac fluid drip system on the subframe passenger side and rust it until it breaks it's a huge safety hazard for many people kids included it's how Honda made the car so there should be a recall on the car with the mistakes they┐ve made making the car and placing the parts in those spots for that to happen someone could crash and die because of that there are tons of articales and complaint and 1.5million + Honda Accord from 99-02 are like this it wasn┐T changed until 03 Honda can┐T deny the mistake they┐ve made by put parts in the spots for that to happen people's lives are at risk and they deserve recalls

- Elmira, NY, USA

Dec 042017

When driving along the highway the traction control light pops on along with the side air bag light. My transmission seems to be going out. When I'm at a complete stop and attempt to proceed through a green light the car seems to not want to get gas. I'm not sure what the problem is. Can someone please help me?

- Uniontown, AL, USA

Oct 282017

While inspecting my 2002 Honda Accord I noticed the front passenger side sub-frame is rotting out and appears to be close to breaking apart. This looks to be extremely dangerous.

- New Kensington, PA, USA

Jun 012016

My Honda was hit and the airbags at the steering wheel went off and burnt my arm and it was very hard to breath

- Cockesville, MD, USA

Oct 072017

I am the original owner of a 2002 Honda Accord. The passenger side subframe is badly corroded, due to the A/C drain hose dripping onto the subframe. The driver's side looks fine though. I noticed the issue, after reading about complaints from other owners and checked out of curiosity. I have been quoted $2000-$2500 to replace the subframe (about a $1,000 for the subframe and another $1,000-$1,500 for labor) and was told this is a safey issue. If the subframe were to fracture, the handling of the vehicle could be compromised and steering will cease.

- Wheeling, IL, USA

Jul 052017

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Accord. The contact stated that while having the vehicle inspected, he was informed by the inspector that the passenger side sub-frame was rusted and needed to be replaced. The contact did not notify a dealer. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 137,000.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

May 012015

Paint failure. Paint is peeling and fading. Honda should stand behind this product.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Nov 152016

November 2016. Noticed that there was a creeking sound coming from passenger side of the car when driving it. My mechanic told me that sub frame holding the engine has rusted out on the passenger side and that the car is not road worthy. His exact words were "the engine could pop out at any time" and that "he would not drive it".

- Chicago, IL, USA

Nov 012015

Every time I drove the car the front passenger side was making noises at the wheel. I had my mechanic take the wheel off to check it. He noticed that the subframe is completely rusted through. I tried to purchase the part from Honda estore and they don't sell a subfame so I called over 25 used parts stores and all 25 or so places told me the same thing "on every 1999-2002 Honda that we've seen that part is rusted away". I would like to know why this part has not been recalled since it is such a large problem with everyone that I've spoke to.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jul 072016

Hit a pothole, and heard loud crack. Body shop found large crack in subframe and deemed unrepairable. Found large rusted area on subframe, which was deemed a "Honda defect" and state farm refused to cover the claim. Honda reports there was no recall.

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Apr 192016

The contact owned a 2002 Honda Accord. While at an independent mechanic for repairs, the mechanic stated that the front passenger side wheel well was corroded and the front subframe needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 121,000.

- Bridgewater, MA, USA

Dec 282015

My car is completely unsafe to drive. It stalls while driving. It has stopped on highways, busy intersections, daytime-nightime. Honda dealership as well as other repair shops have told me that nothing shows up on their electrical tests. They test drive and it doesn't happen. The car will go 2 -3 between occurences, but it happens. The ignition switch has been replaced. Presently, the car is a death trap at 125,000 mileage. I have read that this happens to other Honda. If this is true, this warrants a recall. The hood on my Accord does not close. There has been a problem with this for several months.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Nov 202015

The sub frame is rusted away on the passenger side. I noticed it while I was driving. If I would've kept driving the vehicle and the rusted frame gave way, me and my kids or other passengers in vehicles on the road could have been injured or even killed

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Nov 032015

2002 Honda Accord with 115,000 miles making clunking noises when driven, made worse with turns. Took to a master mechanic 2 days ago who initially said that the sway bar was loose and needed to be replaced. He called me the next day and said that it's a lot worse than just the sway bar, that the sub frame is rusted on the passenger side and there's a hole. If the sub frame breaks while driving, it could be a very bad situation causing an accident. The vehicle is not drivable until repaired and the cost could exceed the value of the car if a new sub frame is used. In the past 4 years I have purchased 3 Honda vehicles, this Accord, a 2010 civic, and a 2010 CRV, but if Honda doesn't take ownership of this design flaw (where the ac drain is constantly dripping on the sub frame causing it to rust) and do the right thing, I will never purchase another Honda in my life. I bought this car 2 years ago from a local dealership who I no longer trust and will never deal with again. You can't tell me that they didn't know about the rust when they sold me this vehicle for my then 16-year old daughter. I'm disgusted with the dealership as well as Honda. I am also very disappointed with the clear coat peeling off the body of the car. It looks awful.

- Plymouth, MI, USA

Aug 152015

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Accord. While driving at any speed, the vehicle made a clicking noise when making a turn. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the front passenger side soft frame was rotted out. The mechanic explained that the failure was caused by the air condition hose which drained water on the frame. The manufacturer was notified of the failure, but refused to take responsibility, explaining that the vehicle was old and was not included in any recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 180,000.

- Manlius, NY, USA

Jul 202012

Accord 4-cyl

Paint/clear coat is peeling/dissolving pretty bad on the trunk and the roof. Trim along windows is also beginning to peel. Honda dealership won't take care of me, I love the car, but it is completely embarrassing driving around with this paint problem and $3000 to fix shoddy paint from the factory is not something I feel I should be responsible for. There are many instances of the defective clear coat and it is not our fault they tried to cheap out on the paint and we are being made to pay the price. We have always bought our cars new and have owned many Honda. We are very disappointed as we are driving a car that looks horrible. We have other cars that are parked outside as well and none of the others have this problem. Something needs to be done so that Honda fixes their clear coat issue to loyal buyers of their cars. Shame on Honda.

- Monroe, CT, USA

Mar 312015

Accord 4-cyl

Went for oil change found right side sub frame rusted out.

- Central Falls, RI, USA

Mar 152015

Accord 4-cyl

The rear beam of the front sub frame has completely rusted through on the passenger side of the car. This location directly affects the sway bar bushing mount as well as a body attachment to the sub frame. The car was exhibiting a squeaking/clunking noise during turns and has increased in frequency in a short matter of time. The rest of the front sub frame shows no signs of rust or damage while the passenger side is completely destroyed. It appears that the cause may be linked to the location of the ac drain hose directly above this location.

- Allendale, MI, USA

Dec 192014

Accord 6-cyl

The rear front sub-frame or cross member of my vehicle has rusted out on the passengers side due to the A/C dripping on that certain part of the vehicle. The drivers side is almost in perfect condition. This is happening to all the models 98-02. If something isn't done there will be an accident. The repairs are very expensive and it's almost impossible to find a used part because this happens to all the vehicles. It's my understanding that Honda knows about it but only address when asked, they have not informed the public of this potential hazard. It is an engineering flaw of Honda's that is going to get someone hurt. Toyota did the right thing with their trucks when the frames were splitting in half, Honda should as well. 2002 Honda Accord ex coupe.

- Powell, OH, USA

Jan 312014

Hello, my 2002 Honda Accord coupe paint on the hood, top, and trunk has deteriorated quite badly. It is hard to describe, but the clear coat has disintegrated and the paint almost looks diseased (for lack of a better word). It has affected the hood, top, and trunk, I appreciate any help or guidance you could give me. Thank you,

- Pasadena, MD, USA