6.4

$760

Most common solutions:

1. replace headlight assembly (22 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Honda Accord:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

Aug 012018

Accord Sport

Like so many others, the drivers side daytime running light went half out. (out of warranty) I went to the dealer and was told it was a known problem to Honda, let them contact for me, and then I was told Honda would pay 90% of the $600 fix. So I called Honda USA myself- 1-800-999-1009 and was told if I had contacted them first, they would have paid the total, but since I went thru the dealer that contacted a third party, I'd have to go with that solution, and pay the 10%. I told him I was not happy with that, and this was my 4th Accord, hate it for me, I can't do anything else for you. But he also said if it happens again contact them directly and they would help me resolve. He also wouldn't admit the Honda knows they have a problem, they only know what people report to them and not dealers or outside sources, so please, call and complain. When I go back to the dealer, I'm also going to see the sales mgr, because when I bought the car, I asked the salesman about the lights, and what would it cost to replace if it went out and he said- It will never go out, it will last the life of the car. Bad info.

- Robin M., Pacolet, US

Aug 102018

Accord Touring V6

This is my second headlight assembly. I don't know what I'm going to do when the warranty runs out on the car. I'm not going to drive around with one LED burned out. It's unacceptable. They need to come up with a fix and a recall.

- Marcus N., Manorville, NY, US

Sep 012018

Accord Sport

Passenger side headlight LED strip went out at 35,000 miles on my 2016 Accord Sport, got fixed under warranty. Now the driver side has gone out at 67,000 miles. Dealer wants $621 to replace. Does anybody have a link they can post where one can directly complain to Honda about a faulty part?

- Matt B., Beaumont, CA, US

May 012017

Accord EXL V6

I have this problem last year my Daytime Light stopped working, I had to go to the dealer to be replaced it was under the 36000 miles. This morning I noticed the other side of the DRL went bad. I have extended warranty with Honda but they told the LED DRL is not covered!! I have 50000 now, this is ridiculous. This is my 3rd Honda. I'm thinking to purchase from a different manufacturer. I have a Toyota, Nissan and have no issues with them. Honda needs to fix this defect and replace this LED DRL for free.

- Sami D., Palmdale, CA, US

Aug 132018

Accord Sport 4 cyl

click to see larger images

daytime led lights burning out

I have been seeing a lot of these complaints lately....LED DRL strip going out on the passenger side. Why is Honda not doing anything about this???

- Scott P., Las Vegas, US

Sep 212017

Accord EX 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

I had to replace both LED DRL lights on my 2016 Accord, one week apart! Actually it was less than that. When I reported the driver's side light out, I was told I had to bring it in for them to see that it was out. They only did a visual inspection (what else is needed!) and then they ordered the light. That was a wasted trip. So when it came time to get it replaced, the passenger side was out! So now, I had to come back again! Not only that, but after they replaced the driver's side, it was misaligned!

Rather than order a new light, which I told them was needed due to the light not made correctly, they MOVED my driver's side bumper to try and make it fit! After I complained about it, they then moved it back (somewhat) due to the gap between the hood and the bumper being wide enough to fit your finger in. I actually had to show them a car on their lot for them to see it. They eventually ordered another light and it fit perfectly, although my bumper still isn't like it was.

So this is two problems: 1. LED lights going out after only 18 months of ownership, 2. The dealership not knowing HOW to replace the lights and how to recognize when they're not fitting properly!

- Ricky H., Mau, AR, USA

Aug 152018

click to see larger images

daytime led lights burning out

Both my front driver side and passenger side led lights have gone out within 3 months. I've communicated with both the Dealership and Corporate which neither indicated they were aware of this issue ( at least that's what they told me) doing our communication. If I paid (out of pocket) those lights replacement would have cost me 1300 dollars which doesn't include taxes but fortunately I had Honda Care. I've noticed many other 2016 and 2017 models are having the same issues, and many individuals are not aware of this issue unless someone mention it to them.

- Leon B., Bryant , AR, US

Aug 312017

Accord Touring 3.5L V6

I am adding this complaint for the first headlight failure (drivers side). The passenger side lower DRL strip has failed now. If you Google this problem on the newer Accords, you will find this problem is widespread. I am not out of the standard warranty and have heard it will cost $2000 to replace this headlight assembly as the labor involved requires removing the front bumper. This is a sever design issue or a problem with inadequate parts. Honda must find another solution instead of just replacing with parts that will only last a few years.

- Bruce R., Independence, MO, US

Aug 172018

Accord Touring 3.5L V6

Another example of a DRL failure. Honda has a severe design issue, or is using inferior parts. These LED lights should last a very long time. Not just a few years. If you google 2016 and later Honda Accord LED strip failures you will find that this is a VERY common problem. Honda should extend the bumper to bumper warranty to include this specific part for up to 10 years. They should also find the root cause of the problem and fix or replace the part with something that will last. This is is my second failure. The Drivers side went out almost exactly 1 year earlier on 8/31/2017 with 28772 miles on the vehicle.

- Bruce R., Independence, MO, US

Jun 012017

Accord Touring V6

Took car in for oil change. Told them about the issue with the passenger side daytime LED. They said that was common and they would order a new one. Told me it was back ordered and they would call me. They called and I went in. They scratched it installing it. So they ordered a new one. I went back and they scratched it also. So they replaced it 3 times before it was finally right.

- Terry C., LAKELAND, US

Jul 162018

Accord LX V4

This headlight is clearly a defective design and defective part. My drivers side LED running light partially burned out at 39K miles on a 2016 LX. Defective Design: I have to replace the whole headlight assembly ($421.85-quote from parts department 31July 2018) as opposed to replacing the LED.

Defective Part: the led should have lasted longer than 39K miles as it is LED technology. Also if they expected the LED to fail they wouldn't have designed the headlight assembly as a remove and replace they would have designed the headlight assembly as LED replacement. It is totally unfair for Honda to expect it's customers to replace the whole headlight assembly at a cost of $500-$800.

Honda should either recall the part, discount the price of the headlight assembly, allow the dealership to replace just the LED or pay for 3/4 of the repair cost. Also highly expected for the passenger side LED running light to fail doubling the maintenance cost. Honda in good faith to it's customers should come up with a solution.

- poe2018, Clarksville, US

May 012018

Accord Touring 3.5L V6

A few months ago, my drivers' side daytime running light burnt out. I went to the dealership to get it replaced under warranty. After having it fixed, the service tech informed me it was not covered by warranty, but since I was promised it would be free, they ate the cost.

Last month, my passenger side daytime running light burnt out, just like the drivers' side before it. This time I'm doing nothing about it, since the dealership refuses to cover it.

- Robert Alex K., Cranberry Twp, PA, US

May 152018

Accord Touring V6

This was the second daytime running light to fail. First passenger side then drivers side within space of 2 or 3 months. Not a critical problem but the cost of over $1200 to replace the whole headlight unit would have been hard to stomach if not under warranty.

- RICHARD M., Akron, OH, US

Accord Touring V6

Honda fixed the problem under warranty but would have cost over $1,200 if out of warranty

- RICHARD M., Akron, OH, US

Jun 012018

Accord EXL V4

2 year old Accord 46,000 miles LED strip burned out... i called Honda explained my frustration and they were not helpful at all. Told me I have to pay the $1400 to have the headlight replaced!!!! I'm sorry on a 2 year old vehicle that is insane.. so now i am filing a case action lawsuit again Honda for not doing anything about a clearly defective headlight.. let me know if anyone would care to join! The woman i spoke to on the phone told me she can't help and to do what i have to do so this is my only option.... I have only owned Honda and it's sad to say but this is definitely my last! NISSAN HERE I COME!!!

- Jaclyn C., Newtown, US

Accord Touring V6

I've seen many, many Honda Accord with burnt out LED strip from the headlights, and HONDA hasn't take action to correct this known issue. They should RECALL this issue since it cost $1300 to replace entire headlight unit for their ERROR.

- Angel .., Jacksonville, FL, US

Jul 062017

Accord EX V4

I noticed the driver's side Daytime Running Lights halfway burnt out on my Accord with only 20,000+ miles on it. When I took into the Honda dealership where I purchased it to have an oil change done, I made sure to mention this issue to them since it was still under warranty and I even have an extended 100,000 mile warranty. I was told that lights are not covered under the warranty and that I would have to pay for it to be repaired. I was informed that it would cost hundreds of dollars to be replaced and advised to wait until the other side burned out to have both of them done together. It only took a month or two before the other side burned out. When I researched online, I saw numerous posts related to this same issue and all of them were saying that Honda refused to replace or recall the lights. I have purchased Honda Accords for the past 15 years and they have always been reliable and service impeccable. But now I am extremely frustrated with Honda because of this issue. The replacement is extremely costly and I, like many others, think it is a product defect for these lights to burn out so soon. I have noticed 50% of the 2016-17 Honda Accords and one 2018 Honda Accord with the same issue. From what I have noticed, Honda vehicles are the only ones that have this problem. For this reason, I will never purchase another Honda after so many years of loyalty because it appears to me that they are using faulty parts and that concerns me of what else could burn out prematurely.

- rcjordan, Fredericksburg, US

Apr 252018

Accord EX 2.4L

• CVT transmission

First time it went out it was on the left side at approx. 18000 miles. About a month ago the passenger side went out at approx. 41000 miles. I took it to the dealership today (05/08/18) and they said that it's not covered under warranty anymore. They gave me a quote of how much it would cost to replace, they said $500ish for the headlight itself and $300ish for labor. So what I went ahead and did was to contact American Honda.

I spoke to one of their customer Representatives and they opened a case in regards to my problem. At first they had said that they would cover part of the expense but not the full expense. I mention to them that I was sure that I wasn't the first one to complain about the problem since I had seen many Accords in the streets with the same problem. She mentioned to me that she understands that but that as of right now there are not many complaints in regards to the DRL going out. She said that they can actually make this matter a recall but that more people need to complain. She said that I'll be getting contacted within 1 to 2 business days in regards to them helping me out with this issue.

I will keep you guys updated in regards to how everything turns out to be settled.

Update from May 9, 2018: UPDATE** i got a call from American Honda and they said that they are willing to cover part of the repair cost, so I asked them how much will I be having to pay and they told me that I should give them a reasonable amount to pay for the repair. I did tell them that to this point I shouldn't even be giving a single dollar towards a headlight that was already manufacturer defect. They said that it all goes back to the point that the manufacturer has not deemed this a defect. The only way it would be covered is if the manufacturer by some miracle decides to deem this a defect therefore they can actually extend the warranty for the headlights themselves. They claim that not many people have encountered this problem to get it to American Hondas manufacturers attention. No one should even be paying a single dollar for this repair I don't understand why they're trying to get more money out of us. There's a reason why these lights are LED. I told them that I would have to think for a week to see whether or not I'm willing to give in 50% of the repair cost, at this point I am very well convinced that I won't be paying 50% this repair as many people have encountered the same problem. More likely I would have to be declaring this car a lemon for more reasons that they have repaired 3 times and yet still gives the same problem.

- Emmanuel T., Los Angeles, US

Accord EXL

I noticed the daytime running light on the driver side was only half lit. When I took my car in for service, I asked about replacing it. I was told that it was out of warranty and it would be about $550 to replace as the entire light has to be replaced. This is my last Honda. I stuck with Honda for the reliability and low maintenance cost but that's no longer valid.

- amr-covington, Covington, US

May 012018

Accord EX-L 2.4L I4 Di

Back in Sept 2017, my drivers side DRL LED strip went out, and Honda replaced it, but charged me a deductible of $100. Aroung May first, 2018, my passenger side DRL LED strip went out, and Honda is saying that the first one was a courtesy, but I have to pay for the majority of the repair this time. Looking up different Accord forums, the 2016 model seems to have an issue with the DRL LED strips. Many people have reported issues with the light, but Honda is claiming that no one has reported the issue at all, and my issue is due to me driving from Milwaukee, to Chicago everyday for work. Lights are NOT wear and tear parts, so should not be impacted by driving 60 miles in each direction. Honda is refusing to take responsibility for an obvious defect, and requiring people to pay well over $500 to replace the full headlight assembly.

- Moe D., Greendale, WI, US