8.3

$50

Most common solutions:

2. no solution; Honda told me to check oil every 500 miles (11 reports)
  3. change oil frequently (4 reports)
  4. no solution!!! (4 reports)
  5. tech says nothing wrong (4 reports)
  6. replace head assembly and injectors (2 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Honda CR-V:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

Nov 162018

CR-V EX 1.5L Turbo

• CVT transmission

I discovered fuel in the oil of my 2017 turbo Honda CR-V when checking the oil level. I have approximately 2500 miles since my last oil change. I took the care to Beaverton Honda on 11/16/2018 to check it out. They "verified customers concerns of fuel in engine oil". They also "adjusted oil level" and then referred me to a Honda video On YouTube. It would appear that they simply removed good oil to make room for more gas in the oil. This is unacceptable and dangerous. Apparently Honda does not have a fix for this issue.

This is a serious problem that requires a recall. I have filed a complaint on NHTSA.com and encourage all other owners to check their oil and file a complaint if you discover this same problem.

- Michael B., Portland, US

Nov 192018

CR-V EX - L 1.5L

• CVT transmission

I bought a used 2017 Honda CR-V last week and read about the high level oil problem and gas smell and didn't really want to check to see if mine had it as well, but I thought it's something I should check. It does. I'm also in warm sunny SoCal and don't have many short trips at all. It got great gas mileage out to the desert and back. The car is great, so I'm going to stick with it, but I checked it yesterday and the oil level was half an inch too high and smelled of gas. So, this isn't just a cold market problem. Honda needs to step it up. I'm not a car expert, but I'm pretty sure gas isn't a good engine lubricant. And the dealer changed the oil just a couple weeks before I bought it, so the oil is still quite new.

- Mike M., Mission Viejo, CA, US

Mar 012018

• CVT transmission

I've owned 13 Hondas so far in my life. This may be the last one based on how poorly Honda is handling it.

- Aaron L., Jackson, WI, US

Sep 032018

CR-V EX-L 1.5t

After reading about this problem on carcomplaints.com and CRVForums, I checked my vehicle and sure enough, the oil smelled like 87 octane gasoline. I had minimal oil overfill, less than 1/4 inch on the dipstick, but the gasoline smell was very strong. I try to never take drives without warming my vehicles thoroughly and live in SoCal, so I'm probably on the lesser end of the problem with gasoline accumulation.

I talked to the service rep at my dealership and she had never heard of this problem, but another service rep overheard our conversation and acknowledged he talked to another customer with the problem. They had nothing from Honda to deal with this problem. I've read Honda's plan to deal with the problem in Canada and seven northern US states, but no help published for the rest of the US.

Honda knows this is a big deal (China banned sales of CR-Vs until this is fixed), but sadly, they know there is no one in the US government with cajones big enough to force a fix for all buyers of the Civics and CR-Vs with the 1.5T engine. I'm very suspect Honda's fix to change the direct injection and CVT such that it will stop fuel from bypassing the rings and diluting the oil.

I've had it with Honda over issues from missing standard equipment on my new vehicle (refused to provide it), CVT surging at half throttle or higher, CVT causing a stumble when leaving a stop. Now an oil dilution issue with so many cars? This is all normal according to Honda. First and last Honda for me.

- Larry S., Apple Valley, CA, US

May 052018

CR-V 1.5L

We took the 2017 CRV in for it's first schedule oil change and also complained of a noisy and rough idle. The dealer's Service Tech stated that there was excessive oil in the crank case and that Honda is researching an issue where fuel dumps into the crankcase and that may be the cause of the noise. There currently is no fix.

This is a Major Problem that obviousness will adversely affect the engine and the value of the vehicle.

- Google M., Madison, WI, US

Nov 072018

CR-V EXL 1.5L Turbo

• CVT transmission

Gas is mixing in the oil of our new 2017 Honda CR-V. The 1.5 liter engine does not warm up sufficiently in cold weather.

- Mildred R., New York, US

Feb 152018

• CVT transmission

Same excessive fuel in the oil issue as everyone else. Manifested itself as 12 different system failures appearing in succession. Took to dealer thinking it was a software or sensor issue. Surprised to see the dealer write it up as excessive fuel in the oil. Honda customer support was shocking. They basically told us to pursue our consumer rights if we were not happy with their answer which as that there was no issue. No matter what I do, I can't keep oil level down. I drive w/o heater on and even that does not help. This engine just runs too cold they way they have it set up. Can't keep windshield clear in winter. I have sent oil sample in for analysis. I'll update this complaint when I get the results back. I'm sure it will show high levels of fuel in oil as it was about 20mm high when the oil was changed. I assumed I didn't have to check it everyday in the summer. That was a mistake as the level increased over the summer as well.

After buying nothing but Honda for 15 years I'm done with them. Dealer was great but American Honda was less than honest with me and is not backing their product. I was a Honda owner for life until this experience.

- Chuck G., Houghton, US

Oct 172018

CR-V EX-L 1.5L

• CVT transmission

After learning of the fuel in oil problem via an article in Consumer Reports, I checked my oil, which had been changed 2,000 prior to that check. The oil smelled strongly of gasoline, and the level was very high. I called the dealership from which I’d purchased the car and received no assistance at all from the service manager, who denied beng aware of the problem.

I then called Honda U.S.A. and spoke with a customer services rep. He confirmed that Honda was aware of the problem and that a fix would be available sometime in mid November. In the interim, he suggested that I have the oil changed frequently and avoid short trips - a remarkably ludicrous recommendation for a car my wife uses frequently for shopping. I did finally manage to convince a local dealership to provide a “courtesy” oil change.

The mid November fix is now projected to be initially available in only five northern states. The rest if us must wait another couple of months while we drive around with thinned oil in the crankcase, avoid short trips, and beg the dealership for frequent oil changes at Honda’s expense.

Honda has been aware of this problem for quite some time but failed to notify owners. In fact, broad notification has yet to take place.

I want this fixed now, not three to four months from now. If Honda doesn’t move more rapidly, they’ve lost me as a customer.

- Robert W., Bozeman, US

Oct 102018

CR-V Touring 1.5L

Three weeks ago, I pulled into traffic when my CR-V came to a near stop, lights on the dash came on. I barely made it to the berm without getting hit by a dump truck. Could easily have been killed or caused a horrible accident. The car would go no more than 3 mph forward or backward. I shut the car off and restarted it, and finished my trip without mishap. Upon hearing of this problem Honda is denying, I checked my oil and found it overfull with the strong smell of gasoline. I had it rechecked by a technician at an AutoZone. He confirmed.

When I called Honda America, I was told I probably had my foot on the gas and brake at the same time! Sorry, just because I am female doesn't mean I don't know how to drive. He, my local Honda dealer service technician and a Honda technician where I had traveled all seemed to think that they could get away with denying the problem and accusing me of driving incorrectly. When I told them this problem is all over the internet with a class action suit, they relented and each said they had seen "a couple", then it turned into a few, then when I had the oil changed in Muncy, PA the service manager there told me no charge-they actually have a process for dealing with these cases! They send the bills to Honda Americal! Apparently they have seen more than a couple. Has Honda coached the dealerships to deny, deny, deny?

- MaryJane P., Mercer, US

Oct 222018

CR-V EXL Turbo

After reading reviews on my 2017 Honda CRV EXL and learning of the gas in oil issue pertaining to their new 1.5L Turbo engine I went to my garage and checked the oil in it. I was dismayed when I saw the level a good inch or more above where it should have been. As soon as I smelled the oil I knew I had the same issue.

I took it to the dealer where we purchased it last January with 9 miles on it and they pretty much played the whole thing down like it is not their fault so don't be mad at them. When I showed the service manager pic I took with my phone of the dipstick clean and then again with the high oil level his remark was "that doesn't even look like a Honda dipstick" OMG REALLY?????? I was dumbfounded and then requested a free oil change as Honda should be more than willing to pay for as this is a MAJOR issue and at this point our only line of defense in protecting our engines that probably already have damage! I was told they will NOT cover it and there is no fix yet for it. WOW!!! Way to stand behind your products Honda!

This was my third Honda CRV in the past 13 years and I LOVED this vehicle and to now have this happen is just so sad and stressful. I called Honda America to file a claim and was told they will get back to me about getting more frequent oil changes at their cost.( Not holding my breath on when that call will come )They also apologized for the problem and they are well aware of this issue and are trying to find a fix. TOO LATE this Honda lover has had her eyes wide open. No more Honda's in my future unless they recall these engines and replace them with new ones. I am also irate that in China the government made them do a recall and banned their sales as soon as they were aware of this issue but here they were allowed to just keep selling them to trusting consumers who still weren't notified even after Honda KNEW this was happening. Shame on them!

- m&jm, Rome, US

Feb 202018

CR-V EX 1.5L

It was in dealer shop from February 20, 2018 sitting there for parts. Got it back on Ma , 2018. Drove it for a few days then more problems again, back in the shop and not fixed and returned until June 7, 2018.

- Cathy W.,

Sep 252018

CR-V Touring 1.5L Turbo

• CVT transmission

I check my cars every month, in august I noticed the oil level was going up, I did not add oil and the oil had been changed by a Honda dealer back in March,about 3500 miles ago. in Sept. I checked the oil again and it was over the orange piece about 3/4 inch I smelled the oil and it was strong with a gas smell

I called American Honda, they told me to get the oil changed right away, any dealership, I made a appt. and took the cr v in and this is the most BS I ever heard! your oil life is 60% you do not need a change also we pulled the dip-stick and it was 1" over the orange end, He said wow someone over filled your oil, I said your dealership? I mentioned the information about the oil problems on the 1.5 engine He said "never heard of it"I said please change the oil and filter and document it , well it took 2.5 hours for the job and they charged me for 5 Quarts of oil the 1.5 uses 3.5 liters or 3.6 quarts! never 5 quarts.double insult! great Dealership

I reported this to Honda America and he said two new Things!!

1. across the country the dealerships have been over filling the oil on the 1.5L cause the 2.4 takes 4.4 quarts
  2. also the TSB maybe coming out in Nov. for a Re map or reprogram the fuel injectors. unoffically!

I asked about the damage the oil and gas mix did to the engine? No Comment! We bought this Honda for reliability and good gas mileage and now We may get rid of it after Nov if they do not make good on this problem .shame on Honda and their Earth Dreams Engines! As a side note We live in southern Ca. and drive both freeway and city streets..not short trips

- Louis B., Cypress, US

Feb 112018

CR-V EXL 1.5L Turbo

• CVT transmission

The 2017 and 2018 CRV 1.5l turbo has a known problem where excessive gasoline accumulates in the crankcase diluting the motor oil. This appears mostly in cold weather and short trips. The level of can rise 21 mm above the high mark on the dipstick. This is equal to approx. 25% oil dilution. Honda claims this is normal and says no harm to engine will occur. Of course in the manual Honda says "Do not fill the engine oil above the upper mark. Overfilling the engine oil can result in leaks and engine damage." If the oil level rises above 21mm the check engine light comes on because of a cylinder misfire.

What oil company would claim that their oil will protect an engine from wear / damage when diluted by 25% with gasoline. Other owners have complained about a strong smell of gasoline in the cabin and garage with a high oil level. The only solution right now is it closely monitor the oil level and change the oil when the oil level is high.

- J T., Maryville, TN, US

Sep 012018

CR-V EX 1.5L

At 15,000 miles our 2017 Honda CRV oil showed over full and had a strong fuel smell to it. I mentioned this at dealership when having oil changed. The guys at the dealership act like it was no big deal. They were quick to give me a discount on the oil change and told me to check it often. They would not document this. Honda U.S.A. you need to admit that this is a problem and make it right. Will likely be the last Honda we buy if Honda is unable or unwilling to make this right!

- Jerry D., Glouster, US

Oct 012018

CR-V Touring

• CVT transmission

I have read about oil dilution problem on 2017 Honda CRV for 1.5 ltr Turbo engine.Then I checked the oil level and it is 40% more than max level on dipstick.

I have called dealership and they told me this is normal and will look at the time of next oil change.Wow!!! The attitude of Honda is shameful.

This was my first Honda car and sad to say but this is going to be the last. I have started to spread the words to friends and families so they are aware.

-RB, Milton, ON, Canada

- Ragin P., Milton, ON, Canada

Oct 132018

CR-V EX-L 1.5t

• CVT transmission

First noticed smell of fuel in the cabin several times in first year of ownership. Dealer didn't have a solution and problem was not reproducible on demand and also not bad enough to press the issue further. They thought it might have something to do with the capless fuel filler system.

Several months down the road (probably around August of this year), I became aware from the crvownersclub.com website that some owners had that symptom and also noted that they had high oil levels when checking the engine oil dipstick. I did not check it at the time, but upon hearing that the issue had become more mainstream and was picked up through various publications within the last week, I recalled reading about the oil dilution issue and the correlation to the previous issues I had.

I ultimately checked the oil level and found that it was 1/2" - 3/4" above the top of the measurement range on the dipstick and smelled heavily of gasoline. I made an appointment at the dealer the next day and they confirmed my findings and the existence of the known issue. As has been reported in various automotive publications and Consumer Reports, they stated that Honda plans to make a fix available in the coming month (November 2018).

I don't know what the solution will be, but frankly anything short of providing a replacement vehicle with the fix already implemented is unacceptable as the value of this model will be significantly reduced due to this widely-reported on issue. I also don't know if I trust any dealership to do something as significant as replacing the entire engine. I believe one of these fixes is warranted because the reduced viscosity has surely already caused damages to the engine which will not be remedied through any software fixes that Honda might make available.

One thing that I have not done but might do after a few thousand miles into this oil change is to send an oil sample to a lab to get the exact content of the fuel in the oil and metal particles that are likely in the oil due to the diminished lubrication abilities.

- Brett M., Olathe, KS, US

Mar 172018

CR-V EX 1.5L L4

• CVT transmission

This was the first complementary oil change. They told me to change it even though it had 3000 miles on it. The issue of too much oil level on the dip stick was never addressed.

- Michael G., Chicago, IL, US

Jun 212018

• CVT transmission

I have a 2017 Honda CRV touring 1.5 Liter AWD. There has been a persistent problem with a high oil level on dipstick and strong smell of gas. I took the car to the Honda dealer three times and they deny oil level is excessive and they said they could not smell gas in the oil. I have also contacted Honda and have had a Regional Representative look at my car saying that there was nothing wrong with my car before he even inspected it. Honda has totally denied that there has been problems with the 1.5 Liter engine. The oil level on the oil dipstick is passed the Orange plastic tip. I live in Georgia and even with Temperatures in the 90 degree temperature range the oil level continues to increase. The Honda regional representative said that my complaint was the first one in the southeast region. Has anyone in Georgia or Florida noticed the same problem with this vehicle? The general attitude of Honda is to deny any problem with the CRV in the hope that people will give up and go away with the problem.

- Allen B., Canton, US

Aug 312018

• CVT transmission

Our CR-V has been in the dealer for 27 Days. When we dropped it off, the oil was 1 to 1.5 inches above the Max Full Line. In addition, the cabin smelled like gas fumes (Service Advisor confirmed as well). Our dealer changed the oil (The mechanic reported the oil had a strong gas smell). American Honda told them after a week to give us our CR-V back with no suggestions or isolating the problem. Our dealer decided to keep our CR-V longer to run more tests. They drove it a few times and decided to change the oil again. The oil they changed the 2nd time in less than 3 weeks also had a strong smell of fuel in it.

They spoke with American Honda again, and they said they had to release the car back to us. There is no fix or ETA to address this issue. It appears they wanted to make sure we had the car back in less than 30 days so it did not qualify for the Lemon Law. Please read the CR-V Owner Forums and cases from the NHTSA for both 2017 and 2018 Years for CR-V of EX and above trims (1.5 Engine). Fellow CR-V Owners, for You and Your Family's Safety, Please, Please check and change your oil frequently (1,000 miles or less if you smell fumes from your engine or in the cabin).

BTW - I have a RO from the dealer that documents the above information (with the exception of the Lemon Law piece).

- Rebecca P., Fulshear, TX, US

Sep 272018

CR-V EX 1.5L Turbo

Gas in my oil for the first oil change, just like everyone else. Mostly short drives but some long drives as well. Live in the midwest so see all types of weather possible. 2100 miles on the car. Oil was thin as water and mocha black when it came out, again after just 2100 miles. My very normal driving requirements cannot dictate the lack of reliability or performance of a car, and for a company to suggest otherwise is a lack of ownership and a strong indicator of a lack of integrity in their business practices. Honda should accept, or at the very least identify with, what people are telling them, investigate the problem and fix it with complete transparency and vigorous communication. Perhaps they should thank me for doing their field quality testing for them as well.

- gas,oil,crv,ohmy, Melrose Park, US