7.7

Most common solutions:

2. no solution; Honda told me to check oil every 500 miles (5 reports)
  3. change oil frequently (2 reports)
  4. Honda said drive at high RPMs & avoid short drives (1 reports)
  5. remove excess oil (1 reports)
  6. replace head assembly and injectors (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Honda CR-V:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

Apr 072018

CR-V Touring 1.5L

• CVT transmission

As a new owner of a Honda 2017 CRV Touring with a 1.5 liter Turbo Engine. I didn't think anything would be wrong. I would have been a very proud owner like everyone else. I have been driving Honda cars since 1986 and have never looked back until now. Unfortunately discovering my CRV having this issue with the gasoline diluting the oil problem. I am totally devastated.

I normally take care of my cars and change the oil on a regular basis per the manufacturers recommendations and more. I normally do one step above and beyond what's called up by the manufacturers recommendation in order to protect my engine, especially in a new engine. I did the first oil and filter change myself at 3500 kilometers. This way I thought it would eliminate any metals in the oil and prevent it from further causing any damage to the engine cylinders. And later take it to the Dealer for the first manufacturers recommended oil and filter change.

Before taking it to the Dealer, I check my oil and noticed that the oil was slightly darker in color than normal and I thought, this doesn't seem normal after driving approximately 3000 kms since my first oil change I did myself. The color of the oil should have been slightly darken but not as if it was driven 25,000 kms. Anyways, I took it to the Dealer and got my oil and filter change. I asked the gentleman doing the oil change, to see if there was anything different about the oil. He said that there was a heavy odor of gasoline in the oil. Then, I realized that my engine is affected as well. So, I spoke to the Service agent about this and he have stated that there is nothing wrong and that there is no recall based on your VIN number.

So, folks, all I can say is that I'm sure the Dealers know about this problem but they are not trying to cause any alarms to scare the public about this issue. We need to raise this awareness to all the CRV owners of 2017 and possibly 2018 as well. This issue was brought up in China when many owners complained and finally they are doing something about this. Unfortunately, the temporarily fix is not a permanent fix in my mind. A software modification will not solve this issue. The issue is a hardware problem.

Honda needs to either change the Engine (unlikely) or buy back all the cars from the owners. Honda needs to do a re-design of the Engine, otherwise, this issue will never go away. It's affecting cars in the US and Canada. So, I encourage all owners of 2017 CRV and possibly 2018 as well to start making some noise about this. Hopefully, this might wake up Honda Canada and Honda USA to start taking action before any lawsuits comes into effect.

A good example is Volkswagen. They are now giving owners the options to either buy back their cars or take the cash for their false pretense on gas consumption. For me, there's no amount of money that would help alleviate this problem. Eventually, your car will end up with costly oil and filter changes, even if they are free and other replacement parts. It's the time wasted that you have to bring it in. So Honda, do the yourself a favour, start recalling now before your reputation is on the line.

- nga, Scarborough, ON, Canada

May 182018

CR-V 1.5L

• CVT transmission

OIL CHANGE DUE. CHECKED OIL BEFORE SERVICE. OIL OVERFILLED, STRONG GAS SMELL. WIFE COMPLAINED OF GAS SMELL IN CABIN OF CAR.

- Wilbur A., Pittsfield, US

Oct 012017

CR-V TouringTourung 1.5L

VEHICLE: 2017 Honda CRV Touring - 5 miles when purchased on 05/01/2017 - 2,000 miles when I first noticed there was a problem.

I am at about 6,000 miles now.

Initially I noticed a clicking sound emanating from the engine get louder over time.

I was following a CRV forum (Hondacrvowners.com) and noticed a lot of people start mentioning fuel in the oil. Then saw news articles about a huge CRV recall in China's cold climate areas with the same symptoms. I then began checking the oil frequently and noticed a definite fuel smell on the dipstick and rising above the full mark. I have not noticed a fuel smell in the cabin, fortunately, as some have complained about, but this is not good for an engine.

Two Honda dealers have told me they are aware of the issue, but not to worry about it and to check the oil since no lights are on and scans show no problem. Of course! No problems yet, but most drivers don't check their oil and won't notice a problem until the engine completely fails.

- Sean M., College Point, US

Apr 242018

CR-V EX 1.5L Turbo

• CVT transmission

Morning following extended trip, I started the car and immediately noticed loud engine knocking sound. Stopped the engine and checked oil level and saw it to be high and smelly. That afternoon after work I brought the vehicle to the local dealership and scheduled an oil change . They found the level to be two litres above normal. I expressed deep concern for premature wear on engine and it was more or less dismissed as not serious!!!! I was told no immediate solution, to check oil levels often and bring it back for more free oil changes

I am not a certified mechanic but know darn well that diluted oil will not perform and it WILL cause long term damage. I am very disappointed, thought I had the perfect vehicle for me. Stay away from this engine model until its fixed

- deerchaser2009rb, Timmins, ON, Canada

Apr 062018

CR-V EX 1.5L

I have opened a case with Honda and they are telling me they are not considering this an issue. So I have asked for my case to be escalated because this is and issue that is ruining the engine. Now I have a secondary issue of going to the dealership every 7-10 days for an oil change. The last oil change they measured over 5 quarts meaning that over 1 quart of gas is mixed in with the oil. I don't see how anyone can claim that is normal.

The case manager called me once and I have called her numerous time to let her know when a good time to call would be. She only seems to call when she knows I will not be available. This was the case the first time to, phone tag for weeks before she could tell me that Honda doesn't see this as an issue. I was so dumbfounded and upset that I didn't ask and the right questions at that time.

- Jessica P., Plainview, MN, US

May 152018

CR-V ES 1.5L Turbo

• CVT transmission

There is a STRONG smell of gas in the oil. This worries me because of problems that will arise because of poor lubrication and longevity of the engine. I have yet to complain to the dealer but definitely will next service interval.

- John T., Ruidoso, NM, US

Mar 122018

CR-V Touring 1.5t

• CVT transmission

There is certainly an excess amount of gas mixed in engine oil. Only few weeks after oil change, the oil level is already 20 mm above the max line. It's certainly a design flaw and I think Honda should be responsible for this mistake and the customers. It's huge safety concern and hope the relevant resources can take action to investigate this issue.

- Tim C., Seattle, WA, US

May 232018

CR-V EXL 1.5L Turbo

Gas in oil. Not acceptable in new car!!!

- dfl830, Kirkwood, US

Apr 172018

CR-V EXL 1.5L T

click to see larger images

high oil level with gas in oil

I bought this 2017 CRV EXL-NAV AWD in 05/2017. We did the first maintenance on March 17 to change oil at 8000 miles. There is oil leakage, I will talk this on another complaint. I heard that there is oil level increase problem on this 1.5T engine because of fuel leak, so I checked the engine oil level at about 8800 miles and found that the oil level is more than 10mm higher than the maximum mark on the dipstick. I brought the car to dealer and they said it is fine. I am very upset with their answer. I have attached the photo, the oil level is exceeding the orange plastic to the metal part. actually CRV has been stopped for sale in China for 2 months until Honda initiate a recall and extend the warranty to 6 years. reliability is the main reason I bought Honda, now I am so disappointed. will not buy any Honda unless they offer a satisfactory solution.

- seanxyding, Superior, US

Apr 042018

CR-V Touring 1.5L Earth Dreams

• CVT transmission

Regarding oil level in '17 Honda CRV rising: On 4/4/18 I removed a full quart of oil to bring level down to the full mark on dipstick. Drove for several weeks in warmer spring weather and oil level rose slightly. Brought to dealer on 5/21/18 and service department told me they had never heard of the problem. I asked them to note it on my service records, which they did.

- Paul N., Granger, IN, US

Apr 012018

CR-V EX 1.5L

Oil level rising on CR-V. gassy smell dealership told me to call Honda USA. I emailed them case # 08528140, have yet to get back with me. I thought I bought something top shelf and reliable coming from a previous owner of a problem Chevrolet Cruze. We will see if Honda comes to the table on this.

- schwabelectric, Vassar, US

Sep 102017

CR-V EX 1.5L V4

click to see larger images

high oil level with gas in oil high oil level with gas in oil high oil level with gas in oil high oil level with gas in oil high oil level with gas in oil

A continuing issue. I left complaint here for gas smell in cabin. Now after 6 trips to dealership service at Piazza Honda the Service Mgr Tony kept telling me nothing is wrong. There is gas in oil and high levels of oil on dipstick as on picture. See pic of gas cap that has white goop knit and cap smells like gas and rotten eggs. Back and forth I finally went to Sales Mgr.. Greg I explained I wanted him to smell my inside cabin...he did and said it smelled like gas. Then he took to Tony in Service to tell them my issue. I just picked up car too. Then they changed my oil at 16,320 miles then scheduled meeting with Honda Rep 3/28 and got run around. It smelled like gas and oil was thin and high levels. Told to come back again if happens! Had oil sample analysis and came back 3% gas in oil and high levels of other things. Then at only 334 miles into new oil change...my oil level went from 100% to 90%. I was told by Honda Rep I should get 1,000 or more miles on OW20 synthetic oil. Well if there is nothing wrong then how come my gas level in high in oil, only got 334 miles and level went from 100 % to 90%, and oil is thin and dark plus smell of gas in cabin. I got nowhere with Honda. Never called back! No what Honda!!??

- Lorraine G., Folsom, US

Jan 122018

CR-V EX 1.5t

• CVT transmission

Oil-level consistently 1/8" above the orange plastic top. Mostly highway mileage. Live in warm Southern California. So neither short trips (3~5miles for example) nor cold temp. for my case.

- Fuyan Z., Santa Barbara, US

Apr 022018

• CVT transmission

Was not aware of problem until read complaints on CRV Owners forum and carcomplaints.com. I checked the oil with dipstick and it was above the full line on dipstick. Also, oil on dipstick had gasoline odor. Since I have just over 2000 miles on vehicle I am worried about future engine problems resulting from this issue which Honda does not seem to have any solution.

- duke1946, St George, US

Apr 162018

• CVT transmission

Oil level is rising because gas is getting into oil. I'm afraid car will catch on fire, also result in excess engine wear.

- Patti D., WATERTOWN, MA, US

Apr 022018

CR-V EX-L 1.5t

Come on, Honda.

I specifically chose a Honda vehicle because of the perception that the vehicles are reliable. The oil dilution issue is now more significant than you thought. It's not just China. It's Canada and the US.

FIX THE PROBLEM! If you think the problem is going to go away by itself, think again. I see more and more people on forums with this problem.

- Tommy P., Elk Grove, CA, United States

Mar 052018

CR-V EX-L 1.5L

• CVT transmission

1qt overfill after 3,500 miles of driving. Dealer approach did nothing to mitigate damage.

- Richard M., West Sunbury, PA, US

Apr 112018

CR-V Touring 1.5L

click to see larger images

I checked the oil this morning because were planning on going, long trip over the road and the oil level was about an inch and a half above the full mark. I have only had the dealership change the oil. Then I wiped the oil off the dipstick and I smelled gas real strong. I went to the dealership they had it in the back for 2 1/2 hours. They came back said that there is no repair fix it this time and that if the customer wants the oil changed, charge him for it. The service advisor did not think that was right. That there should be a fix. He told me it was the turbo that was causing it and that Honda on the tech line said that the gas would burn off in the tank and it would not cause any problems on the motor. That it was safe to drive .

- Tonny W., Ashland, NE, USA

Mar 082018

• CVT transmission

My original complaint follows. Details of an additional service in March are included at the end of the complaint.

"Gas is mixing in the oil of our new 2017 Honda CR-V. The 1.5 liter engine does not warm up sufficiently in cold weather, runs rich, and leaves un-combusted gas in the oil. This triggers engine warning lights and requires frequent oil changes. Engine performance and drivability suffer. This problem is also being reported on social media by other Honda CR-V owners who drive in colder climates. We are concerned that it is causing long term damage to the engine of our new vehicle. I caution prospective buyers to postpone the purchase of a 2017 or newer Honda CR-V with the 1.5 liter engine until Honda solves to this problem. The fifth generation CR-V is an excellent car in many respects, but this is a major problem. I cannot recommend the car, particularly to those who drive in colder climates, until a fix is found.

Reuters reported in February that Honda has announced a recall of 350,000 CR-V's in China for what appears to be a similar issue.

We've driven our car for about six months, and it has less than 2,000 miles on it. We typically use the car for short drives within the city. When using the car we would occasionally notice a fuel odor around the exterior of the vehicle and sometimes inside. In November, while driving the car, most of the warning lights on the dashboard lit up. We took the car to the dealer, where it remained for over two weeks as they worked to determine a cause and fix. A field rep from Honda was sent out to the dealer to try to assist. Sensors and fuel injectors were replaced. The oil and filter was changed. At this time our engine had less than 1100 miles on it.

These repairs did not correct the problem. In mid-January the engine warning lights were triggered again. Our dealer noted the smell of gas in our oil and once again changed the oil and filter. We had less than 1500 miles on the car for this service.

I again noticed fuel odors driving the vehicle this week, and plan to take it to the dealer again to see if another oil and filter change is required. We've driven the car about 300 miles since the last oil change.

Honda does not appear to have a solution to this problem. The oil and filter changes are a band-aid, and long term damage may be occurring to our engine. I have contacted Honda customer service to express our concern. They suggested that we continue to monitor their website for future recall or service bulletins. They did not provide us with a case number for our complaint going forward.

Honda may have a major problem on its hands with the 1.5 liter engine. Know this before you buy."

New information: By early March fuel and exhaust smells once again became more frequent when we drove the CR-V. I took it to our dealer on March 8th. The oil reading was 1 1/2 inches above full, and smelled strongly of fuel. Our dealer changed the oil and filter. We had only put 450 miles on the car since the oil was last changed in mid-January. That's three oil and filter changes in less than 2000 miles, along with replaced sensors and fuel injectors.

I called Honda this week to check the status of our original complaint. They had not followed up on it further. I learned that Honda had documented the file incorrectly, and was under the impression that the oil changes were required in the range of 15,000 to 20,000 miles, not the 1,500 to 2,000 miles that we had experienced.

We are very frustrated with the lack of follow up from Honda regarding this problem. This is not acceptable performance from a seven month old car. Honda first needs to acknowledge they have a problem, something they have been unwilling to do in my conversations with them.

This is our fourth Honda. I'm rapidly losing trust in the company.

- Joe E., Duluth, MN, US

Mar 162018

CR-V Touring 1.5L Turbo

• CVT transmission

After first oil change on new CRV, I noticed fluid level on dipstick was well above the overfull mark on the dipstick and continued to go higher on subsequent checks. Also a strong gas smell in the oil. After finding that other owners were having this problem, I took the vehicle to dealer and complained that I thought gas might be getting into the oil and I was quite concerned about getting adequate engine lubrication.

Service rep said they had never heard of this, and then blew some smoke about there being a few problems in China with Chinese- built vehicles. That wasn't true, because I had read lots of reports about the problem with CRVs in the U.S. and there were several NHTSA complaints as well. Service rep wasn't interested in listening to me. The dealer kept the vehicle overnight. They said they contacted Honda Tech Line and there were no reports about this issue, which I don't believe since there have been several reports from owners that their Honda dealers had been told by Honda Tech that it was a known problem.

Service rep said there was no fuel in the oil but didn't say how that was determined since the oil reeked of gas smell. Replaced oil and filter and set oil level right on the upper overfill mark. Told me to bring vehicle back after 500 miles to re-check. I've now driven 375 miles since that oil change and the oil level is once again well above the overfill mark on the dipstick and there is a strong gas smell so it appears that fuel is quickly accumulating in the oil.

Vehicle is being driven in warm weather in Phoenix area, so cold weather has nothing to do with it. Driving has been a combination of short local trips and longer freeway trips. At this point, I don't have any doubt that my engine is affected by fuel-in-oil contamination problem. When I get to 500 miles will return to dealer to see what, if anything, they do. They seem dismissive and uncooperative so far, so I won't be surprised if they do nothing or at most just tell me to get another oil change if I'm concerned. Obviously, I'm not interested in changing my oil and filter every 500 miles, even if Honda were to grant free oil changes (which won't happen).

I learned on this site that a law firm is investigating a class action lawsuit on this matter and have provided my information to them. I suspect this is a huge problem for Honda because of the popularity of this vehicle and the Civic that uses the same 1.5L engine, so it will be a cold day in Hades before they admit to it and take remedial steps. I also suspect that the only effective fix is to redesign this engine, or they would have already issued a recall. So I don't expect the problem can be fixed and I'll either have to live with it or get rid of the vehicle and lose thousands in depreciation.

- William L., Phoenix, US