7.9

Most common solutions:

2. no solution; Honda told me to check oil every 500 miles (2 reports)
  3. change oil frequently (1 reports)
  4. Honda said drive at high RPMs & avoid short drives (1 reports)
  5. remove excess oil (1 reports)
  6. replace head assembly and injectors (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Honda CR-V:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

• CVT transmission

Was not aware of problem until read complaints on CRV Owners forum and carcomplaints.com. I checked the oil with dipstick and it was above the full line on dipstick. Also, oil on dipstick had gasoline odor. Since I have just over 2000 miles on vehicle I am worried about future engine problems resulting from this issue which Honda does not seem to have any solution.

- duke1946, St George, US

Apr 162018

• CVT transmission

Oil level is rising because gas is getting into oil. I'm afraid car will catch on fire, also result in excess engine wear.

- Patti D., WATERTOWN, MA, US

CR-V EX-L 1.5t

Come on, Honda.

I specifically chose a Honda vehicle because of the perception that the vehicles are reliable. The oil dilution issue is now more significant than you thought. It's not just China. It's Canada and the US.

FIX THE PROBLEM! If you think the problem is going to go away by itself, think again. I see more and more people on forums with this problem.

- Tommy P., Elk Grove, CA, United States

Mar 052018

CR-V EX-L 1.5L

• CVT transmission

1qt overfill after 3,500 miles of driving. Dealer approach did nothing to mitigate damage.

- Richard M., West Sunbury, PA, US

Apr 112018

click to see larger images

I checked the oil this morning because were planning on going, long trip over the road and the oil level was about an inch and a half above the full mark. I have only had the dealership change the oil. Then I wiped the oil off the dipstick and I smelled gas real strong. I went to the dealership they had it in the back for 2 1/2 hours. They came back said that there is no repair fix it this time and that if the customer wants the oil changed, charge him for it. The service advisor did not think that was right. That there should be a fix. He told me it was the turbo that was causing it and that Honda on the tech line said that the gas would burn off in the tank and it would not cause any problems on the motor. That it was safe to drive .

- Tonny W., Ashland, NE, USA

Mar 082018

• CVT transmission

My original complaint follows. Details of an additional service in March are included at the end of the complaint.

"Gas is mixing in the oil of our new 2017 Honda CR-V. The 1.5 liter engine does not warm up sufficiently in cold weather, runs rich, and leaves un-combusted gas in the oil. This triggers engine warning lights and requires frequent oil changes. Engine performance and drivability suffer. This problem is also being reported on social media by other Honda CR-V owners who drive in colder climates. We are concerned that it is causing long term damage to the engine of our new vehicle. I caution prospective buyers to postpone the purchase of a 2017 or newer Honda CR-V with the 1.5 liter engine until Honda solves to this problem. The fifth generation CR-V is an excellent car in many respects, but this is a major problem. I cannot recommend the car, particularly to those who drive in colder climates, until a fix is found.

Reuters reported in February that Honda has announced a recall of 350,000 CR-V's in China for what appears to be a similar issue.

We've driven our car for about six months, and it has less than 2,000 miles on it. We typically use the car for short drives within the city. When using the car we would occasionally notice a fuel odor around the exterior of the vehicle and sometimes inside. In November, while driving the car, most of the warning lights on the dashboard lit up. We took the car to the dealer, where it remained for over two weeks as they worked to determine a cause and fix. A field rep from Honda was sent out to the dealer to try to assist. Sensors and fuel injectors were replaced. The oil and filter was changed. At this time our engine had less than 1100 miles on it.

These repairs did not correct the problem. In mid-January the engine warning lights were triggered again. Our dealer noted the smell of gas in our oil and once again changed the oil and filter. We had less than 1500 miles on the car for this service.

I again noticed fuel odors driving the vehicle this week, and plan to take it to the dealer again to see if another oil and filter change is required. We've driven the car about 300 miles since the last oil change.

Honda does not appear to have a solution to this problem. The oil and filter changes are a band-aid, and long term damage may be occurring to our engine. I have contacted Honda customer service to express our concern. They suggested that we continue to monitor their website for future recall or service bulletins. They did not provide us with a case number for our complaint going forward.

Honda may have a major problem on its hands with the 1.5 liter engine. Know this before you buy."

New information: By early March fuel and exhaust smells once again became more frequent when we drove the CR-V. I took it to our dealer on March 8th. The oil reading was 1 1/2 inches above full, and smelled strongly of fuel. Our dealer changed the oil and filter. We had only put 450 miles on the car since the oil was last changed in mid-January. That's three oil and filter changes in less than 2000 miles, along with replaced sensors and fuel injectors.

I called Honda this week to check the status of our original complaint. They had not followed up on it further. I learned that Honda had documented the file incorrectly, and was under the impression that the oil changes were required in the range of 15,000 to 20,000 miles, not the 1,500 to 2,000 miles that we had experienced.

We are very frustrated with the lack of follow up from Honda regarding this problem. This is not acceptable performance from a seven month old car. Honda first needs to acknowledge they have a problem, something they have been unwilling to do in my conversations with them.

This is our fourth Honda. I'm rapidly losing trust in the company.

- Joe E., Duluth, MN, US

Mar 162018

CR-V Touring 1.5L Turbo

• CVT transmission

After first oil change on new CRV, I noticed fluid level on dipstick was well above the overfull mark on the dipstick and continued to go higher on subsequent checks. Also a strong gas smell in the oil. After finding that other owners were having this problem, I took the vehicle to dealer and complained that I thought gas might be getting into the oil and I was quite concerned about getting adequate engine lubrication.

Service rep said they had never heard of this, and then blew some smoke about there being a few problems in China with Chinese- built vehicles. That wasn't true, because I had read lots of reports about the problem with CRVs in the U.S. and there were several NHTSA complaints as well. Service rep wasn't interested in listening to me. The dealer kept the vehicle overnight. They said they contacted Honda Tech Line and there were no reports about this issue, which I don't believe since there have been several reports from owners that their Honda dealers had been told by Honda Tech that it was a known problem.

Service rep said there was no fuel in the oil but didn't say how that was determined since the oil reeked of gas smell. Replaced oil and filter and set oil level right on the upper overfill mark. Told me to bring vehicle back after 500 miles to re-check. I've now driven 375 miles since that oil change and the oil level is once again well above the overfill mark on the dipstick and there is a strong gas smell so it appears that fuel is quickly accumulating in the oil.

Vehicle is being driven in warm weather in Phoenix area, so cold weather has nothing to do with it. Driving has been a combination of short local trips and longer freeway trips. At this point, I don't have any doubt that my engine is affected by fuel-in-oil contamination problem. When I get to 500 miles will return to dealer to see what, if anything, they do. They seem dismissive and uncooperative so far, so I won't be surprised if they do nothing or at most just tell me to get another oil change if I'm concerned. Obviously, I'm not interested in changing my oil and filter every 500 miles, even if Honda were to grant free oil changes (which won't happen).

I learned on this site that a law firm is investigating a class action lawsuit on this matter and have provided my information to them. I suspect this is a huge problem for Honda because of the popularity of this vehicle and the Civic that uses the same 1.5L engine, so it will be a cold day in Hades before they admit to it and take remedial steps. I also suspect that the only effective fix is to redesign this engine, or they would have already issued a recall. So I don't expect the problem can be fixed and I'll either have to live with it or get rid of the vehicle and lose thousands in depreciation.

- William L., Phoenix, US

Jan 012018

• CVT transmission

Got my oil changed for free, was also told that if the oil level rises even a bit to alert them and they would offer free oil changes until the fix comes out. This is for Winnipeg Honda. This URL explains it best and helps direct you to the various places to have your voice heard! http://www.hondaproblems.com/trends/crv-oil-dilution/

- natesimon204, Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Mar 302018

CR-V LX 2.4L

click to see larger images

high oil level with gas in oil

I have been following the complaints on two forums and started noticing my oil level creep up over the winter months. This problem is not limited to the 1.5 L turbo engine as I have the 2.4L normally aspirated version as do some others finding the same problem.

At an early (4000 miles) oil and filter change, which I performed myself, I found the level at 3/4" above the full mark. This amounted to 22 ounces over full. I have stored the oil removed and cut open the filter to inspect for any signs of engine damage. No particles, beyond what would normally be expected for the first oil change on a new vehicle were noted. After installing a new Honda oil filter I carefully added the required 4.7 quarts for the 2.4L engine as indicated by the owners manual. I checked the oil level after a run and saw it exactly in the right spot for a full amount. After 150 miles I checked it again and it was 1/4" above the full mark.

If Honda is going to recommend that we "change the oil more frequently" they had better be prepared to supply owners of these affected vehicles with free oil and filters for the duration of the warranty period, excluding regularly scheduled oil changes.

I have read where someone had the Honda dealer replace their 1.5L engine with a new one and still the problem persists.

- Ron C., Williamsport, US

Feb 222018

CR-V ES 1.5L

My name is Teresa Lindenberg. I purchased a 2017 CRV from Ashland Honda and Toyota in Ashland, WI (715/682-5252) in August 2017.

On February 23, 2018, my car which has 5500 miles on it, started making a horrible noise and began losing power while on the highway. The noise continued throughout the weekend. We made an appointment with Ashland Honda and Toyota to service the call. Honda Corporate and the Service Manager (Jerry) at Ashland Honda and Toyota determined through video chats and conference calls that the cams were destroyed in my engine. They believe this had to do with fuel and oil mixing and getting into the engine.

Honda Corporate (800-999-1009) requested that Ashland Honda replace the head of the Engine. They have no fix for the problem with the fuel and oil mixing and destroying the engine. The Service Manager said because the government is involved due to emissions, this issue will be continuing, and at this time there is no fix. He also stated that Corporate informed him this was a Regional issue due to our climate, and they are currently trying to figure out a software fix for the problem. No resolution at this point. Corporate further stated that they are seeing this issue when the temperature is between 10 and 30 degrees. Where do they think we live????

I was offered a 100,000 extended warranty and recommended that I go to the dealer every 500 miles to get an oil change to see if fuel is mixing with the oil. Shocked at the lack of resolution, I asked the Service Manager if Honda Corporate was comfortable giving me my car back after the cams were replaced with no resolution, and he said Yes.

I do not believe this is ethical at all for Honda to not have a fix to an engine problem that could endanger myself and/or my family. I am not comfortable taking this car back knowing that the engine could be “scorched” again while driving to a destination. It is neither safe nor prudent to drive a vehicle that has such engine problems considering it has less than 6000 miles. This is a BRAND NEW Car!

Half of my car engine is being replaced when the parts are in. Again, this is not a resolution to the problem, only fixing what broke due to the fuel injector issue that is having oil and fuel joining and then destroying the engine.

Update from Mar 28, 2018: Update on gas/oil dilution. Top half of my engine was replaced; still not resolution from Honda Corporate. They say they are working on a fix; no set date for this. Continuing to contact Honda Corporate for a resolution. Will be going to Mediation.

- Teresa L., Ashland, WI, US

CR-V Touring 1.5L Turbo

click to see larger images

high oil level with gas in oil high oil level with gas in oil

The pictures depict day 2 and day 3 after an oil change. You can see the oil level rising (being diluted with gas) and turning black already. Disregard the somewhat low level on dipstick because my garage is sloped; on a flat surface the oil level on day 2 was actually just below the full mark.

Honda is aware of this issue but they are not taking it seriously. Check the following links for more info and some people's stories (including mine):

- Alexandre C., Brampton, ON, Canada

Jan 022018

CR-V 1.5L

4.3% gas in oil. Also a lack of heat. No fix in sight!! I have been lied to and got the run around!

- Trevor M., Jackson, US

Jan 162018

CR-V EXL 1.5L Turbo

click to see larger images

Honda has been aware for months now but still has no solution. Although Honda in China stated in a press release that this issue would not cause engine damage I believe my oil analysis report provides evidence to the contrary. I was told upon receiving my report that oil was at approximately 5% of the viscosity it should have and that the wear metals number should not be higher then 20. My number was 218. That's insanely high. Honda has yet to respond to this oil analysis report.

Update from Mar 28, 2018: Also, when my oil was changed after only 3000 km nearly 7L of oil??? was drained. Only 3.5L should be present.

- chillier91, Fort Smith, NT, Canada

Mar 152018

CR-V EX-L 1.5L

• CVT transmission

I bought the new 2017 Honda CR-V back in Jan, 2017. Got the first oil change when it reach 20% and about 3500K miles. Then I heard a lot of people on Facebook complained about the gas in oil dilution problem, I checked my oil stick and the oil level was high, smelled more like gas than oil. I brought my CR-V to the dealership service twice and they said "that is the way this vehicle oil should be". I also experienced the bad sulfuric, like rotten egg smell with the engine. While all these are happening, Honda has issues 3500 recalled on the 2017 Honda CR-V in China, but no similar recall is make in the USA yet. Currently, I am still driving this CR-V nervously and I notice the engine is getting louder, and shakier by day. I think it is only a matter of time that it will break down.

- Ngoc N., Pflugerville, TX, US

Feb 282018

CR-V LX 1.5L

• CVT transmission

Brought my 2017 CR-V 1.5L in to dealer due to an unusual engine noise and was told by dealer that the engine oil was very over filled and diluted with gas. This resulted in engine damage and the dealer has told me they will replace entire cylinder head. They have not told me that there is a fix to the cause of the problem nor can they tell me how long it will take to fix the damage. I opened a case with Honda Canada on March 3rd via email, no response other than a "do not replay" auto-response indicating someone would be in touch shortly. Posted publicy and messaged them on national FB page but got same reply as auto-responder. There are many people having this issue if you look. Honda needs to address this problem and communicate with their affected customers as to what the plan is. They also need to either offer buy-backs or extend the warranty once resolved to 6 years. This will have a huge impact on resale, not to mention people are making payments and insuring vehicles that are in the shop. Some people have been without their vehicles for over 2 months. There's a reason China has halted sales of these vehicles.

- billoster, Airdrie, AB, Canada

Feb 212018

CR-V Touring 1.5L 16V Turbo

• CVT transmission

I brought the CRV in for 1st oil change at 7143 miles, told them about the clicking noise, the response was it was normal. The noise got louder so took it in. They agreed something was wrong. Had an appointment for March 21st with 7583 miles. Cause: the rattle and tick is caused by the head not getting proper lubrication because of the over abundance of fuel in the crankcase. They were instructed to replace the head assembly and injectors. Meanwhile they changed the oil and filter told me I could drive it for it will not hurt the motor. hmmmm? They will call me when the parts come in. I hope the problem can be resolved but I am skeptical. For I have read other complaints of this problem which have not been resolved and hope I am not stuck with a $36,000 problem car!

- Rick P., Wausau, WI, US

Mar 222018

• CVT transmission

3/23/2017 Took my Honda CRV 2017 to dealer for oil change and told them that it does not heat up and gas mileage has gone down and the motor is ticking and it smells of Burnt oil when idling and I checked all oil level and it was high the dealer told me there is A known problem with this model the mechanic looked at it and said they have to replace the heads and the parts will come within a week so I cannot drive the car it has to stay there at the dealers the told me to call Honda Corp and made a case so I did and the Corp told me they will call me next week

- brad3, Ashland, US

Jan 062018

CR-V EX-L NAV 1.5L

click to see larger images

high oil level with gas in oil high oil level with gas in oil high oil level with gas in oil high oil level with gas in oil

On 01/06/18 I could smell rotten eggs and gas inside the cabin as well as the outside just after I started the car. Drove car 70 miles and the Emissions and Engine light came on and the car was hesitating, so I pulled over to wait for a tow to the nearest Honda Service Center. The car was there for 3 weeks and they just did a band-aid fix. Changed oil as it was 1 quart over full and a strong order of gas was present. They also did a computer adjustment to the injectors. Just 700 miles later and I have a strong smell of gas in the oil and will be getting a second oil change due to this oil dilution.

Update from Apr 11, 2018: My 2017 CR-V has now been into service 3 times for the oil dilution in less then 2500 miles. The last 2 times the oil was diluted 2 are over recommended around due to gas in the oil which is destroying the engine. 451 miles into the last oil change.

- Holly W., Silver Bay, US