9.2

$2,339.00

Most common solutions:

1. replace transmission (127 reports)
  2. rebuild transmission (54 reports)
  4. replaced transmission, Honda covered cost of parts (9 reports)
  5. open a case with honda corporate (7 reports)
  6. scrapped car (2 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Civic:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

Mar 102011

Civic EX

Same as everyone else... 2002 Honda Civic Ex Auto transmission, complete transmission failure at 100,000 miles, replacement cost for rebuild = $1800, failed again a year later and am looking at another $2000 to get it repaired again. Like many others who have posted here, the transmission did not fail gracefully, but failed suddenly while my daughter was driving home on the freeway in the middle of the night. The failure mode is very dangerous, almost appearing as though the car were put into neutral. If you are driving up a hill, it will stop moving in short order with little time to get the car safely off the road. These cars should definitely be recalled for safety reason.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Jan 252013

Civic LX 1.4L V4

Bought this car practically brand new 5 yrs ago with 35,000 miles on it. Everything seemed great with the car, just your normal wear and tear (brakes, suspension, oil changes). But last friday, the worst thing that could ever happen to a car other then the engine blowing up, the transmission totally gave out. This was a really cold day so I think that egged it on to fail on me. It was a all of a sudden thing, it at first had a hard time engaging into drive, then when it did the car would shift to second and it felt like I was in neutral, I had to rev it all the way up to 5000 rpm just for it to get into 2nd and 3rd. After it started doing that it was a quick downward slope, the cars check engine turned on and the car stopped shifting/engaging gears at all. At this point I was on the side of the road thinking what my next option is. I turned off my car and turned it back, it started shifting again but really roughly. But the damn thing would keep messing up after I stop at a light and go again. I did the stop/start thing until I got to my mechanics shop. I really thought at the time I was buying one of the most reliable cars outside of toyota. But this thing ended up being a nightmare, as I speak it's in the shop getting fixed. No more honda's/acura's or anything that's made in the honda plants for me. I'm done with anything this brand has to offer. PLUS I'm going to spread the word via social networks that no one should ever buy a honda/acura, if they already have one, trade it in and get something else!!!!

- , Bronx, NY, USA

Jun 302013

Civic LX

We bought the Honda due to the good name of Honda for a family car. We have taken care of this car and all of a sudden today the car would not move. After reading about the number of complaints... it seems like Honda did not due their due diligence in correcting the problem. I have read several posts and believe that Honda knew of the problem but never thought about their customers who bought for the Honda name. I will be contacting them tomorrow and will likely hear the same thing everyone else has heard. But at least they will have to hear it from me and I will never purchase another HONDA vehicle and will elay the information to everyone

- , Kennesaw, GA, USA

Jun 052013

Civic LX 1.7L

Have been a loyal Honda/Acura owner - Over the years, have purchased a new 1987 Honda Accord, a new 1992 Honda Accord & a new 2004 Acura TL. Needed a vehicle for my son, so purchased a used 2002 Honda Civic LX from the original owner who had all service records for the vehicle. 10 days later my wife and son were driving the vehicle and while in drive, the vehicle decided to make all gears neutral. Vehicle needs a new transmission. It is an 11 year old car, but there is no reason a car that has been maintained should experience a transmission failure with only 97,600 miles on it.

Guess the days of Honda reliability are gone.

Based on this experience and that of many others with the same problem which fall on deaf ears at Honda, will not purchase another Honda ever, ever again.

Sayonara Honda.

- , Auburn, WA, USA

May 292013

Civic LX 1.7L

Same problem as everyone else. Transmission was maintained and went out at 138,000 miles. Didn't know about this being a problem until I talked to my transmission guy. He said he sees it all the time.

Update from Jun 18, 2013: Took the car to transmission experts in el cajon,ca. He put in a rebuilt with remanufactured torque converter, an external filter and a tranny cooler. Total cost, $1950. First day, solonoid went out and he replaced it for free. Also, I had a broken tranny mount and he replaced that too. Freddy (the owner) ,is a great guy and.very fair.

- , Alpine, CA, USA

Mar 172013

Civic LX 1.7L 4 cyl

short and sweet is the way to go. 2002 honda civic lx. auto transmission crapped out at a little under 100k miles at major intersection, bought new transmission and i kid you not the second one went out within 7k miles with not even the courtesy of an maintenance light. at $2200 a pop for tranny i would not recommend this vehicle to anybody. simply, crap. what the hell happened honda. You were better than this. now, i would feel guilty giving it away. oh but the engine hasn't stopped running( always a silver lining right?) knowing all this i'd rather buy an early kia and worry about the interior falling apart before i got it home, at the very least the vehicle runs right?

- , Ruralville, CT, USA

Mar 272013

Civic EX

My 2002 Honda Civic EX was purchased brand new and has been lovingly cared for. Transmission failed at 124,000 miles. I've been quoted $2200 for a used transmission and $3200 for a new one. Debating whether to shell out this kind of money for an 11-year-old car or just get a new one.

So very disappointed, because I expected Hondas to last much longer. :(

- , Sacramento, CA, USA

May 012010

Civic LX 1.7L 4 cyl

Had transmission re-built by certified mechanic failed again. Driving normal begun to slip. Engine revs up but car does not move.

- , Mobile, AL, USA

Jun 152011

Civic LX 1.7L

We purchased our 2002 Civic it had 36,000 miles. Sadly at 76,000 miles the transmission went out. We were surprised that Kelly blue book, Edmunds and others never mention the problem. It was when I was looking for a transmission I discovered many problems with the 2002 Civic transmissions. I was not the only one. This was my fourth Honda. We complained to the dealer and Honda in Torrance with no luck. Spending over $80,00.00 on Hondas they could have taken care of my 1300.00 tranny

- , San Fernando, CA, USA

May 252013

Civic LX

MY TRANSMISSION RUN OUT. MY CAR IS NOT MOVING AT ALL. LIKE IT TO GET FIXED BUT I CANT CAUSE IT COST A LOT. THAT WHY I WOULD LIKE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT IT

- , Salt Lake, UT, USA

Feb 012013

Civic EX 1.7L

Manual transmission makes a very loud noise when clutch is released. When the clutch is depressed the sound goes away. This was diagnosed as a faulty internal shaft bearing, which Honda calls a clutch release bearing. An independent shop quoted me $1,500 to fix this, it requires a full rebuild of the transmission. A local Honda dealer quoted me $2,000.

This bearing also causes a strange grinding/knocking noise when accelerating in 1st and reverse.This bearing is causing undue wear to the transmission, and will eventually cause a full transmission failure. It could cause me injury if it fails at high speed on a roadway. I will be contacting Honda Corporate to ask for a goodwill repair. A transmission should not be experiencing problems at only 42 thousand miles.

My family has bought more than ten Honda vehicles in the last 20 years, but if this problem is not fixed I will be seriously considering purchasing from a different brand. We had many problems with our latest Element and Accord, and it seems that Honda quality is not what it used to be.

- , Bowling Green, OH, USA

Mar 022013

Civic EX 4 Ltr

I have a 2002 Honda Civic EX that I bought new and has had excellent care. I am the original owner and this car only has 55,000 miles on it. I got stranded just before (fortunately) I was about to get on an on ramp on one of the busiest freeways in the country. The car began to stall with no warning, no indication lights of any kind and would not go forward into gear. I had to get the car towed 16 miles to my house. After exhaustive testing, my mechanic told me the transmission was bad and I have opted to have it rebuilt. The transmission specialist said that it was a known Honda defect, but Honda never did a recall on my model and loads of customers have had the same problem.

I can't believe that a car with this little mileage is dead in the water like this. I have properly cared for this car over the years and followed the recommended maintenance schedule. It is used primarily as a city car and goes on short commutes within a radius of about 50 miles. Seriously, I thought Hondas were supposed to be reliable and last forever. That's why I bought this car in the first place. But, it hasn't turned out to be anywhere near as reliable as my previous car, which was a 1986 Oldsmobile Calais. It lasted 16 years and had 114,000 miles on it before the repair bills got to be such that I sold it for junk. I don't think I will buy another Honda after this experience. I fully expected much better reliability and a superior product which obviously is not the case. Honda should have recalled this model year and replaced the transmission at their own cost since they know thier transmissions were defective.

- , Los Angeles, CA, USA

Feb 012013

Civic EX 1.4L

The transmission has slipped out of gear, day one of purchase. I had it to the dealer and the responds, they do that, do not know why. Dealer has record. I like the car, I take care of it, one day it just stopped moving. Retired and can not afford it. Its like a my buddy just died.

- , Byron, MI, USA

Feb 072013

Civic EX V4

Seriously this is getting ridiculous...here is a car with only 85K miles, never in a collision, completely tuned up every 30K miles, and then out of no where the car wont shift out of first gear while on a major highway...I pulled over to the shoulder with my hazard lights and then the car basically sits as if in neutral. No gears become engaged and I'm stuck. There was no engine light or anything, I had enough transmission fluid in it. The mechanic says your transmission is blown and needs to be replaced....thank God I wasnt rear-ended...thats the only positive here...I'm going to call Honda but previous posts suggest they wont do anything...Think I'll be leaving Honda now (after owning 3 previous ones)..

- , Edison, NJ, USA

Dec 222012

Civic DX 1.7L

Really ridiculous that this problem occurred in a car with 80k miles especially as I had always had required maintenance done and never abused my car - it abuses me!

- , Yuba City, CA, USA

Mar 062012

Civic LX 4 cyl

Transmission failure happened suddenly. I was just leaving the freeway and managed to get it back home when the transmission failed. I had to push it up into my driveway. I called AAA and had them tow me to my local Honda mechanic. I usually drive from Boulder Colorado to San Diego, so I was lucky that this happened before my trip.

Unfortunately, the same thing happened to my other 2002 Civic a few months earlier. At least I knew the symptoms and was able to get off the road quickly before it died. As for Honda, I don't know what has happened to them. I had a 1998 model, my brother had a 1995 model and both of them are still running at 250,000 miles. I don't think I'll ever buy another one at least until I know they are more reliable. I do warn people I know to be wary of the 2002 and other year Civics. These 2 cars have been the worst cars I have ever owned, and I've owned a lot in the last 50 years.

- , Boulder, CO, USA

Oct 132012

Civic EX 4

I own a 2002 Honda Civic which I purchased new. Although I’ve experienced a few problems with several oil leaks and calipers wearing out prematurely, I never imagined that at 110,000 miles my transmission would fail. My vehicle became inoperable without any warning as I attempted to merge on a major highway in Washington DC. I could not shift into gear when I pressed the accelerator; fortunately, I was able to drift to the shoulder on the highway without incident. I had the vehicle towed to a Honda dealership where it was diagnosed as an internal transmission issue and I was advised that it would have to be replaced for $4700.

The cost for the transmission replacement was outrageous and after researching possible reasons for the failure, I had my vehicle towed from the Honda dealership to an independent repair shop. My vehicle was diagnosed with torque converter failure which caused metal shavings to damage clutches in the transmission. During my research, I read numerous complaints by hundreds of others who own a 2001 to 2003 Honda Civic and stated that their transmission failed when their mileage ranged from 135K to as low as 65K. Although Honda issued a 2004 recall on transmissions, it excluded the Honda Civic; I am outraged that despite the hundreds of transmission complaints from Honda Civic owners that a recall has not been issued for these vehicles to ensure the safety and welfare of drivers and passengers.

The large number of complaints from Honda Civic owners about the lack of reliability of their Civic’s automatic transmission is demonstrative of a defect. I hope that some entity decides to help car owners affected by the transmission failure so that owners will be compensated for expensive repairs.

- , Capitol Heights, MD, USA

Sep 092012

Civic LX 4 cyl

Could have caused a major accident, life threatening. Driving on local major highway 40mile+. Trans just failed, no warning, luckily no rear end collision. no shoulder just curb.

got lucky just coasted to next local street turn.

always did maintenance, just not have failed especially at 100k miles. Is this now going to occur to my Accord?? Always bought Hondas (6+) for reliability - now it is a question!!

This is not due to normal wear/tear.

- , Blue Bell, PA, USA

Jul 162012

Civic EX 3.72 4cycle

Transmission just stop working! With out any warning the transmission just stopped. was working fine until that day. Maintenance required light came on a few days before it stopped.

- , Winterville, NC, USA

Aug 302012

Civic LX

I own a 2002 Honda Civic LX and the transmission just failed at 135,000. A couple weeks prior it made a whining noise and I figured it may be the transmission. I couldn't believe this happened because I thought, as many others do, that HONDA was a really reliable car. This car lasted me 10 years with 135,000 with not too many problems or things needing to be fixed besides this major transmission problem. I thought for sure this car would last me much longer. Obviously I would have to get transmission replaced for amount that car is not worth. I am going to scrap my car, maybe get some money for parts and put down on a newer , more reliable car. I have already heard that many people tried to get results from Honda with not much success. Also, I have heard some people replaced transmission with newer or rebuilt and didnt last much longer. Don't think it would be worth time or money. Anyway, I am really upset that my HONDA did not last longer and will not be purchasing one in the future. IF HONDA REALLY CARED ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS THEY WOULD REPLACE ALL 2002 TRANSMISSIONS AS A RECALL.

- , Parma, OH, USA