9.2

$2,339.00

Most common solutions:

1. replace transmission (127 reports)
  2. rebuild transmission (54 reports)
  4. replaced transmission, Honda covered cost of parts (9 reports)
  5. open a case with honda corporate (7 reports)
  6. scrapped car (2 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Civic:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

Feb 032012

Civic EX

Will not buy another Honda. A transmission should't die @57,000 miles. No recall was ever issued for the 2002 Civic trans or I would have gladly taken it in as I did for the airbag problem. It took Honda 9 years to inform us that if the airbag deployed we could be hit by SHRAPNEL to the chest. Not how I want to check out. Anyway, $2,500 later with a rebuilt trans, can't wait to trade it in.

- , Greenwich, CT, USA

Aug 122012

Civic LX 1.7L

I'm kicking myself for purchasing this vehicle. I thought I was buying a good brand name. I purchased the vehicle 3 months ago with 141,000 miles on it from the original owner. Less than 4k miles later, the transmission goes out on me, while turning onto incoming traffic. I am lucky I wasn't seriously injured or killed. The vehicle showed no signs of transmission problems and now I have a serious problem. I'm NEVER buying another foreign vehicle, luckily my 2001 Chevy s-10 is still running strong.

- , Estero, FL, USA

Jul 162012

Civic EX 4 cyl

I am adding my 2002 Honda Civic EX to the ever growing list of failed transmissions. No warning signals occurred except it would not change from 2nd to 3rd gear. At that point it revved up the RPMs to 5 or 6 thousand. Then it started slipping and we had to push the car to the nearest parking lot from the main street. This will be our last Honda!! This is my 5th Honda and my last!!!

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

May 312012

Civic EX 2.4L

WOOO HOOO!! I made this sorry club ($1,200.00 to get in)! mine did the same as everyone elses 50 mph - 0 mph in no time flat and all of a sudden. At least I made it to 180,000 better than most i guess? Still sad that my 1995 Civic surpassed an 2002. Well so long to the forever running Honda's!! its open game to anyone now....

- , San Bernardino, CA, USA

Jun 162012

Civic EX 1.7L V-Tech

Driving along the highway and suddenly the automatic transmission disengages/slips into neutral without warning, causing the engine do nothing but rev when the accelerator is pressed. Luckily, I was traveling downhill and was able to coast off the main highway to a side road at the next intersection.

The car is able to get back into gear for short periods of time, but quickly (less than 5 minutes) disengages and slips back into neutral when it warms up, and whilst in gear the engine struggles to deliver power. Thought Hondas were supposed to be reliable.

- , Minneola, FL, USA

Dec 302009

Civic EX V6

A cold Wisconsin day in December 2009. Driving along the road, foot on the gas, and my car suddenly revved super high and when it went back down, it wouldn't accelerate past 30 mpr. Pulled into parking lot, got a ride home, towed car to shop. Verdict was complete transmission failure. Slapped a used Honda transmission in, while taking a very long time to complete.

- , Madison, WI, USA

Jun 032012

Civic EX 1.7L V-Tech

I got this car because I thought honda brand vehicles were dependable. Apparently, I was wrong. I took very good care of my car but that didn't even matter. During regular servicing I would tell my mechanic of signs of slipping and engine light coming on and going off. We were both hoping that it wasn't the transmission beginning to go out. He didn't notice anything unusual with the transmission exept for a slow leak which we treated with stop leak. The leak stopped but my car started to lose more and more power and gas mileage got worse through out the next several months. About a couple weeks ago, I reported to my mechanic unusual sound and performance of my vehicle. He drove it him self with me in the passenger side and inevitably determined that my transmission was starting to fail. he recommended me to replace my transmission but I don't even have enough money.Transmissions are not suppose to go out that early. Whatever happened to honda's dependability?!

- , Savannah, GA, USA

Apr 062012

Civic

Well maintained, lightly driven 2002 Honda Civic. Noticed a slight slip in transmission going from 2nd to 3rd one day, 2 days later it was immobile. Luckily it died right in front of my house. Don't think it's worth fixing.

- , Celebration, FL, USA

May 302012

Civic DX

I CALLED HONDA - AND BECAUSE MY SON IS THE 3RD OWNER THEY REFUSE TO FIX OR HELP FIX THE PROBLEM. WE PURCHASED HONDA BECAUSE OF THE NAME AND AT 109K THOUGHT HE'D HAVE A GOOD VEHICLE TO GET HIM TO/FROM SCHOOL. NOW HE HAS A 4K PAPERWEIGHT AND NO MONEY TO REPLACE THE TRANSMISSION. HONDA REFUSES TO HELP.

- , Raymond, NH, USA

May 252012

Civic LX 1.7L

I can add my 2002 Civic LX to the growing list of Honda transmission fails. Transmission shop says they see them all the time, in fact I'm in line behind a 2001 Honda Civic. I feel lucky that mine lasted this long. Having checked this site before, I knew it was coming, just a matter of time. Did the recommended fluid changes, no matter. It died suddenly, right at the start of a three-day weekend. I'm very lucky that it didn't fail while merging on the freeway. Had to tow it 25 miles.

- , Scotts Valley, CA, USA

Mar 312011

Civic EX

Always thought Honda was supposed to be a great car. I just figured something may be wrong, didn't mention it. Had something else fixed and my mechanic asked if I'd been having any transmission problems. He had taken car for drive and noticed the same thing I had in the past. Not sure if I should try to save up for a new one or just save for a new car (haha in hopes the transmission doesn't go). After searching 2002 honda civic transmission I was floored to see how many complaints there are. Way to go Honda!!

- , Nobleboro, ME, USA

May 092012

Civic LX 1.4L

So, out of the blue one day I'm driving on the highway and the car just suddenly slows down. I'm like freaking out because their are several cars behind me and I was almost in an accident. The car behind me almost crashed right into the back of me. I had no warnings, no light flashing to say there's something wrong with the car or anything.. so car drops down to 15 miles per hour and it starts to rev when it goes to 20 miles per hour..So not knowing what to do.. I brought my car into the Honda dealership and they told me I had to replace the whole transmission and it would cost $3,200. I never had any problems with the vehicle until this.. the funny thing is when I brought the car to the service place, the light finally came on and went off... so they told me i have to replace my sensor as well because it doesn't work. I am so frustrated and I don't know why Honda Civic wont do a recall on the transmission because I was almost injured. I researched online and found plenty of sites that complains about the transmission failure. I'm just glad I wasn't hurt! If there is any petition i could sign or this let me know. because this came to me at no warning!!

- , Hartford, CT, USA

Aug 172011

Civic LX 1.7L

I bought a 2002 honda civic lx very low mileage it work well for a few years than automatic transmission faith it cost me a lot money to fix it and it faith again last 6 mouth I'm not happy with honda . I don't no what to do

- , Guayanilla, PR, USA

Mar 012012

Civic

I am a poor graduate student. I have bought a Honda Civic 2002 on very low mileage. Well maintained. I drive infrequently, 7000 miles in 2 year and a half. It works well for a while. However, the transmission stopped working on the freeway without any warning! And it cost me nearly 3000 dollars to rebuild it's transmission!

I have COMPLETELY lost my faith in Honda!!!!!!

I will never buy a Honda in the future!

- , Berkely, CA, USA

Mar 042012

Civic ES 1.7L Vtech

here we go guys, 2002 honda civic, 120000, maintained religiously.

trasnmission failed without warning in the middle of the highway. almost got hit from behind not to mentioned the barking from everyone around me. my family has been a loyal honda customer for almost 25 years until now. we will not buy another honda vehicle ever. i urge everyone to read all the complaints and to stop buying these junk cars.

"DO NOT BUY THESE JUNK CARS"

"DO NOT BUY THESE JUNK CARS"

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Feb 162012

Civic EX 1.7L

We have always owned Honda and this is the first one we have ever had problems with. So one day I get back home from school, everything seemed normal , although the day before I did notice an abnormal sound between shifts. I get back in the car 2 days later and start the car and try to shift, the car did not move. I did some research and found out this is common among 2002 civics. I called honda and they told me they knew nothing of the problem.. strange. I am waiting on some to file a law suite against them, I would be more than happy to sign that petition.

- , Lafayette, State:, USA

Mar 072012

Civic LX

Adding to complaint list for the 2002 Honda Civic transmission. Transmission gave out in the middle of a busy road on a hill. My car stopped and started rolling backwards before I realized what was going on and could hit the breaks and throw it in park.

I called the Honda and they appear to be willing to reimburse some cost if the car is fixed at a Honda dealership and they can verify all maintenace records. They won't divulge how much until the car is towed and diagnosed, so those expenses plus higher fees at a dealership may offset any savings.

I will not buy a Honda again unless they're very willing to help compensate me as this is clearly a wide spread problem.

- , Venice, CA, USA

Feb 182012

Civic LX 1.7L 4 cyl

I have owned two Civics. The first was a 2001 and at around 120,000 miles I had to have the transmission rebuilt. About a year later I totaled that car. I bought another Civic which was a 2002 with about 123,000 miles on it a WEEK ago and the transmission started going out on my way back home from Atlanta. I am fed up with Honda!!! That makes two civics for me in addition to hundreds and hundreds of other complaints I've read. Honda obviously made a defective model and they need to do something about it!!!!!!!!

- , Greer, SC, USA

Feb 022012

Civic LX 1.7L

I wish I had found this website before I purchased my car 2 years ago. I would have never bought it. I talked to Honda customer service about the problems with my car but they really didn't seem to care. I will definately not be buying another honda!!! My transmission is dead at 80K miles!!

- , HENDERSONVILLE, TN, USA

Feb 022012

Civic EX 1.7v Vtech

I am the only owner of this car, and I religiously maintain this car at my local shop with oil changes both motor and transmission, fuel injections, filters, water pump, motor seal, timing belts, fluids and everything that might be needed. It all started with a non working odometer and a check engine light. I immediately took it to my mechanic to get it fixed. The mechanic said that normally this is fixed by getting a diagnosis from a computer and replacing the part. After the computer gave the code " Vehicle Speed Sensor" P00021, I had my mechanic purchase the speed sensor. When the new speed sensor was installed happens to be that the transmission rejected the new speed sensor. Thinking we had purchased the wrong speed senor, we bought another OEM part matching the VIN number and again it rejected as soon as the car was place in Drive. I had it done with another mechanic, and again the same thing. Mind you, I kept spending $120 per sensor plus the labor cost which totaled about $500. Both mechanics just concluded i had a problem with my transmission. The weird thing is that my transmission was still running. But little that I know it was the beginning stages of a bad transmission, just like the 2,773+ complains here. At this point is either i get a new transmission or i rebuild it, but either one equates to 3/4 of the value of my car. I used to brag about how reliable my car was and now i dont want anyone to buy these junks beacuse they are purposely made to last you a while. I am switching to Toyota.

- , North Bergen, NJ, USA