9.2

$2,333.00

Most common solutions:

1. replace transmission (137 reports)
  2. rebuild transmission (60 reports)
  4. replaced transmission, Honda covered cost of parts (9 reports)
  5. open a case with honda corporate (7 reports)
  6. scrapped car (3 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Civic:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

Aug 012016

Civic

I JUST PUT 500 DOLLARS WORTH OF TIRES ON THE CAR AND THOUGHT THIS IS A HONDA AND I'm KEEPING IT FOR A 2ND CAR FOREVER SINCE WE JUST BOUGHT A NEW HONDA CIVIC. NOW, IM AFRAID WE BOUGHT INTO TROUBLE AGAIN. IF I WOULD OF KNOWN THAT THE 2002 CIVIC WOULD HAVE TRANSMISSION FAILURE, I WOULD OF NEVER BOUGHT A HONDA AGAIN. I CANT BELIEVE HOW THIS HAS GOT ME IN FINANCIAL TROUBLE SINCE I'M ON SOCIAL SECURITY. HONDA< YOU SHOULD BE FAIR AND HAVE A CALL BACK. OUR GOV'T SHOULD PRESS FOR THIS AND MAKE IT FAIR. HONDA, YOU'VE HAD MANY MANY YEARS TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO MAKE THIS RIGHT BUT I HAVE A FEELING YOU DONT GIVE A SH*T. I'M GOING TO KEEP MY WIFE'S NEW CIVIC FOR A YEAR AND THEN TRADE IT IN. I'LL NEVER BUUY A HONDA AGAIN AND SUGGEST ANYONE READING THIS NOT TO DO SO EITHER. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.

- , Springfield, VA, USA

Dec 222016

Civic EX 1.7L

The transmission failed this lightly used car with only 131,000 miles on it. We are the second owner of the car.

- , Mustang, OK, US

Feb 042017

Civic EX 1.7L

Add me to the loooooooong list of those affected by the defective 2001-2005 Honda Civic BMXA Transmission. A little back story.

We bought this car 3 years ago. Garage kept, one owner, Arizona car with 142,000 miles. It looked and brand new car and drove great too. We were duped. It was only after a few months when the weather got colder that I noticed the tell-tale "flare" between 3rd and 4th gear, and a few other subtle hints that the transmission was not in perfect health.

I took to the all-knowing google to investigate my observations and within minutes, I realized I had made a very poor used car decision. The discussion of this notorious transmission defect was everywhere, including on this very helpful website. I called the original owner who confessed that they had recently noticed the same symptoms but "forgot to mention it" during the process of selling the car. I did a lot of research, changed the fluid, and drove the car like a grandmother on Valium awaiting it's inevitable failure. I also babied the shift (let off the gas to force the shift under light load) between 3rd and 4th, and always backed in to parking space since the car would clunk disagreeably into reverse when cold (another problem I have read about with these).

Surprisingly, the transmission gave us no trouble at all for almost three years and over 32,000 more miles. Fair enough I guess. That streak of good luck came to a screeching halt last Saturday. As so many others have described, near instant failure. My wife was driving the car when she felt a distinct "engine rev, then jerk" as she describes it a few times (I heard nothing of this until after the fact BTW). The next morning she tried to drive it and she couldn't even get out of our street. Transmission slipped so badly she couldn't get up to 20 MPH. She aborted her trip and barely made it back to the driveway. She tried to back in and as soon as she put it in reverse, the check engine light came on. I'm sure it's one of the common "tranny went to the big junkyard in the sky" codes.

I have decided to keep the car, perhaps against my better judgement, and after shopping around found a local shop with a good reputation who will rebuild the defective trans for $1600 out the door. There is a shop outside of Atlanta who does nothing but these junk Honda and Acura transmissions (WTR transmission I think) who sounds quite reputable but they are to far away for me. They would have swapped out with an off the shelf reman with a solid warranty for $1100 out the door. Too bad I'm not closer to them.

BTW, the Honda dealer was helpful, readily acknowledged that these transmissions are defective, but as expected (considering age an mileage) got shot down when they called on my behalf and inquired about any goodwill compensation or help with this. Moral of the story, DO NOT BUY A 2001-2005 HONDA CIVIC UNLESS IT HAS A MANUAL, I REPEAT, M.A.N.U.A.L. TRANSMISSION. Further, if you violate the above, take some comfort that the price of the rebuild seems to have gone down a bit over the years, but let that comfort be tempered by the absolute fact that you will eventually have to make this investment. I am now shopping for my first Toyota!

- , Madison, AL, USA

Nov 102016

Civic EX 4

Transmission completely failed without any warning. Needed to be towed to dealership for repair. the warrantied repair through Honda would cost $4,000 to $5,000 for a re-built replacement and car not worth that much. Private mechanics would charge approx 1/2 that but the warranty not there. Need a reliable car for my daughter so scrapped it.

- , San Jose, CA, US

Jul 082016

Civic SI 1.7L

Here we go again, another transmission failure. This will be my third transmission on my 2002 Honda Civic Si 1.7 L veloz package. Replaced second transmission about three years ago

and it's the same problem again the idler reverse gear is not sitting in it's proper spot. The transmission is trying to shift into reverse and wearing out first and second gear synchros. On the bright side I managed to get 60000 km on my second

transmission. I have not yet replaced this transmission because

I am trying to push it right to the end before it let's go. Eventually it will cost me roughly $1200.

Joe S Ontario Canada

- , Sudbury, ON, Canada

May 072015

Civic LX 1.7L

It pretty much speaks for itself.. basically have a 02 Honda Civic had the transmission totally fail on me at a red light about 60 miles from my house. Ended up having the transmission completely rebuilt, costed me $968.00. Not even 2 years later and about 60,000 miles later and the damn thing is doing the same sh*t it did before the last one died! It upshifts it erratically shifts and slips. I have no 4th gear anymore and takes about 8 seconds for it to shift into reverse... Is there anything I can do to maybe catch a break on repairing this one this time?? Thank you all for your time!

- , phoenix, AZ, USA

Nov 252009

Civic EX 1.7L

11/25/2009 - no warning light & no warning sounds - no prior issue (car would not move in reverse or drive) obviously I was over charged to replace transmission in 2009 @ $4600 cash . SWF - single white female (48yrs old now & been alone for 15 yrs & l've had "no help &/or advice" from anyone on how to handle my car issues or how much it "should" cost- I get it!

History>-used Honda purchase: paid $17k May 2007 (used 02 civic 60k miles - "Drive Time Auto Texas Car Sales" - no repairs until 11/2009 when Transmission "mysteriously" stopped working. (I was not driving the car when the transmission stopped working @8am on a Monday morning with snow on the ground & 28F weather outside -2011-2015 have spent over $2k a year on random repairs-brakes shocks-radiator timing belt- sensors out) Car has never drove or felt "Right" or "sounded "Right" since 2009.

(My next complaint that I am filing as a "New REPAIR ISSUE" for November 21, 2015 - 204k miles on car now - transmission stalled turning left crossing over facing on-coming traffic> my 02 Honda "car mysteriously stalled" (Transmission stopped working AGAIN - I've had NO CAR to drive to work for 6 weeks now (I am relying on rides to work)

New estimated cost ($2200) "whoever worked on & replaced my "right Axle" front wheel automatic transmission > did not install it properly & left a Ring Out! All the Transmission fluid leaked out ! Now I have a new Right Axle & Stuck Honda Civic won't reverse or drive forward (no real warning light > no smells or smoke from transmission & the car was no slipping before - or if it was? I did not know! The car has never drove right since I got it back in 2010 when transmission was replaced @ 4600$ February 2010 handed a random guy to fix my transmission because he was recommended to me! I should have RAN away fast! Honda dealership quoted me 5500$ to replace transmission November 2009! At least Honda "might" have fixed it PROPERLY?!!!!!

Honestly I have spent over 2k year in random repairs 2011-2014 & $800 this year on an emissions issue sensor. I do not want & do not have any money for a New Car right now & tax return has to cover my costs (meaning I will get my broken Honda Civic back in about 6 weeks due to lack of funds!) Welcome to my Reality.

My next car will be another Volvo (I've had 2 Volvos in the past that never had a single issue). I've had 4 Nissans in the past & never had to repair "anything ever" on a car engine or ever spend THIS MUCH MONEY ON ANY CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED SINCE my first drivers license in 1986. 1st car a Volvo. No car has ever ever ever put me in a "life threatening" driving situation > only this 2002 Honda Civic.

I paid dearly for this 02 Honda Civic from 07-2015 & money, time with no car & many many many tears of "why me" ? I purchased a Honda Civic because I believed that was the practical reasonable reliable choice. Right!

•this has been the "MONEY PIT CAR" 100% - I understand it's just a "car" yes but I need a "working" car to get to work > to make money to pay for my life to Exsist on this planet > and to pay for more Repairs on my Not Reliable Honda Civic• That's How my Life Works! Car issues are a humbling experience!

I will tell anyone & everyone (& I have in the past) never never never waste their $ on a Honda car or expect to spend much $ in repairs :(

I am not in the social class of people who can go buy a new car when ever they "feel" like it > meaning I need a reliable reasonable practical WORKING CAR!

I am keeping my 02 Honda until I can afford to purchase a Volvo 40s one day .... Happy Happy 2016 to all .... Best wishes to all the Honda Owners in the USA ( Hondas Corp is laughing at all these complaints)

*I read many of this stories from people on this list here & I cried many tears reading other people's stories too. A car stalling in a busy intersection is a Humbling experience. Honestly I was praying that I was not going to die in that intersection & no one would have ever know that my transmission failed in a middle of a busy busy street !

"Sade Sati" ~Peace Joy & Love~

- , Flower Mound, TX, USA

Jul 022015

Civic EX

We'll always heard how great Honda's were. The car looks like new. But it just won't move. Transmission just quit..it sure seems like Honda should do something about this problem. I guess I was lucky, most of the Civic's had transmission failure with less mileage then my car. Still very disappointed.

- , Sonora, CA, USA

Dec 202015

Civic DX

Called Honda, they acknowledged doing goodwill repairs, however, stated that this does not apply to my VIN.

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Nov 232015

Civic EX V4

I purchased the Car for $2,300 and 4 days after registering the Vehicle the Transmission Blew. The cost to have it fixed by my Honda Mechanic is $2,400 and I don't have the funds to repair this and am now out of a Car. This is effecting my work as I commute 50 miles a day. I am basically screwed here....

- , Melrose, MA, USA

Oct 282015

Civic EX 1.7L

Complete automatic transmission failure after following Honda's recommended service intervals. I'm not a hotrodder. In fact, I've been told I drive too cautiously. Probably won't purchase another Honda.

- , Capitola, CA, US

Oct 152015

Civic LX 1.7L 4 cyl

Car had no symptoms and suddenly failed in city traffic. Would not budge an inch. Had to get it pushed off the road! Car had better than factory recommended services done on the transmission, yet it failed suddenly without warning! "Them's the breaks", I guess?

- , Iowa City, IA, USA

May 052015

Civic LX 3.2L

Owned Honda's year 1974, 1981, 1997, 2002 and 2015. ONLY EVER HAD PROBLEM WITH 2002 AT 125,000 MILES (always did maintenance on car) and the transmission with out. I contacted Honda regarding their "good will repair" had I know they would not offer any assistance or even act like they cared I would have never purchased another Honda. So I am basically stuck with either paying $3500 to get the transmission fixed or selling the car for whatever I can get (1,000 or less from what people have said) even though it has been well maintained and services and still should have many miles left.

I will NEVER recommend that anyone buy a HONDA again, and really don't want the 2015 anymore since Honda don't care about their customers. Thanks Honda, you showed how much you cared. Did I mention I just paid the registration and had a tuneup on the car a month and a half before the TRANSMISSION FAILED, leaving me stranded on way home from work.

- , Pacifica, CA, USA

Jun 072013

Civic SI 1.7L

My 2002 Honda Civic SI has been a good car from the very first day but major problems developed 11 years later. I had to replace the transmission because the idler reverse gear was not staying in its proper position which caused first and second gear synchros to wear out. The car basically was trying to shift into reverse while shifting up through the gears. There was a clicking noise while shifting through the gears. Installed used transmission at my expense. Total cost roughly $2000.

- , Sudbury, ON, Canada

Sep 022015

Civic EX 1.7L

I am disappointed that Honda did not recall this transmission problem. This car is basically worthless now. I don't think it is worth fixing.

- , Cedar Park, TX, US

Aug 032015

Civic EX 1.7L

Purchased the car used with just 60,000 miles on it (now has 121426). Has been an excellent vehicle and the service department where I have it serviced ( a different, closer dealer) has always commented on what great condition the car is in and how well I have taken care of it (I have!). Suddenly the engine warning light came on and the dealer checked it out to find these two DTC codes:

P0700 A/T system

P0730 incorrect gear ratio

There have been no symptoms of a problem whatever, and there are still none. Yet, they suggested replacing the transmission with a used one with 89,000 miles on it for a total of $2,700, with a 6month/6000 mile warranty!!!!! Which they even said was not a good deal. Anyway, I am still looking into options, and the car is still running fine although with the check engine light still on, which caused me to be "Rejected" by MA vehicle inspection. I now have 60 days to fix it, or take it off the road. Service department says it is a "crying shame because the car has been so well taken care of."

- , Northfield, MA, USA

May 042015

Civic ES 1.7L

We purchased this 2002 Honda Civic last fall for my daughter to drive back and forth to college. It had 88,000 miles on it. Not much for a Honda, or so I thought. This is my first Honda and it will be my last. The car has less than 100,000 miles on it now and while my daughter was on a busy roadway, the car stops and cuts off. She is able to restart it and get off of the road, but could only go at about 5 mph. The codes say that we need to replace the transmission. I called Honda and reported the failure. My complaint is noted. I was advised to take it in for the airbag recall and I certainly would, if only I could drive it.

- , Charlottesville, VA, USA

Jan 102013

Civic

This was a couple years ago so I'll try to remember what happened: transmission started acting up a mile or so from my house on Christmas Day of 2012, with no warning. It suddenly just acted like it was in neutral and I was stuck at the intersection, engine revving, for 20 seconds or so. Turned the car off and on again, and was able to drive it no more than 5 mph the rest of the way home. Luckily, being Christmas, there weren't many cars on the road!

A friend of mine has an auto shop, and quoted me the best price, $2,800, to rebuild the transmission with a 3-year, 75,000 mile warranty. (The dealer quoted over $5,000!) He fixed it and it was running fine since then.

Fast forward to today: transmission is slipping again, and although it's still under that warranty, I now live 3,000 miles away from that shop. I spoke with my mechanic friend, who says that the company that makes the transmission is national, so he is currently working on finding a shop near me that's in the network. Hopefully I won't end up paying again to get it fixed. What a pain in the behind.

- , Chapel Hill, NC, USA

Feb 032015

Civic EX

I bought this Honda brand new in 2002, I'm the original/only owner and no real problems at all. Maintained this always reliable car and wanted to give it to my granddaughter - can't help with tuition, but could have helped with transportation. I have 211,000 miles on the car. Driving on a busy hwy to Veterans Hospital and suddenly car revved up because the transmission suddenly disengaged. I had to get over & coasted onto a side street with the momentum the car had left over. Had it towed 30+ miles home. Seeing the costs others have incurred, not sure how we can afford that. Will share wife's 2005 vehicle until we figure it out!

Very disappointed to see the exact problem so many others are having - obviously a known issue to Honda & Honda never took care of it or their now formerly very loyal customers.

- , Mt Dor, FL, USA

Oct 172014

Civic LX 1.7L

I've always trusted Honda's as they were said to be dependable . This has been an extremely dangerous experience. The transmission failed while negotiating a left hand turn on a highway major intersection. I caused a rear end collision and endangered my own and other people's lives.

This issue is very clearly a manufacturer fault and in view that so many other people have experienced a similar failure, I've lost faith in Honda. I have maintained my vehicle 100% and checked my fluids on a weekly basis. This failure gave no warning and as undeserved.

Honda...... I will never take a chance with another Honda as long as I live ....... I've owned three others and this has never happened. I also have no choice but to ensure that everyone I know is aware of Honda's refusal to correct their mistake ... absolutely unacceptable in today's competitive "service first" environment.

You really let me down Honda.

- , Burlington, Ontario, Canada