Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Kia Optima:

Sep 102019

Optima

Whilst the vehicle is in motion on any road the headlights will shut themselves off for a few seconds and then turn back on. This happens when the switch setting is set to auto or is in the on position. When I google search the issue I see that there are many people with this issue. The display on the dashboard which displays the light switch settings pops up and highlights the "auto" position and then disappears. I am not sure if the same thing happens when the switch is in the "on" position. When it happens I will sometimes move the switch and the lights come on again, and sometimes this does not help and I am driving down the road with no headlights and it is extremely dangerous especially on very dark roads. When driving in the daylight I will see the display for the light switch position appear on the dashboard indicating that this condition is happening during the day as well. This is happening more and more, it happens almost every time I drive the car.

- Chesterfield, VA, USA

Sep 102019

Optima

The headlights randomly turn off at night when IżM driving with the auto headlight feature on. Turning the switch to on manually and back to auto turns them back on.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 092019

Optima

While driving with lights in auto mode they will randomly come on in daylight and go off in darkness. If you switch to manual it works properly, but in auto it's totally random and happens with no change in outside lighting conditions.

- Dandridge, TN, USA

Sep 152018

Optima

While driving at night the headlights will go off by themselves while I have the switch in the auto mode. This has happened several times on both highway and back roads. I then brought the car to a Kia dealership for repair but they failed to find the problem and said they were unable to recreate the situation. This problem went away for a few months after that visit but has since started up again. I also recently started experiencing a new problem where the parking lights will go on by themselves while the car is parked in my driveway with the engine off overnight. The lights then go off by themselves several hours later.

- Wappingers Falls, NY, USA

May 262019

Optima

While driving at night or during the day at random times the exterior headlights will go off and sometimes come back on without any changes from driver. The setting for my headlights are set to auto. In order for light to come on at night once they have automatically turned themselves off I have to switch the control to on. This is continuing to happen at random times while driving.

- Spartanburg, SC, USA

Jun 172019

Optima

The drivers side running light went out one day and my car alerted that it was out. I changed the bulb and that did not fix the problem. The fuse appeared ok, however I replaced it just to be sure. There was still no change. Checked the power to the headlight assembly and I have power all the way up until it enters the headlight assembly and then there is no power to the running light only. The entire headlight assembly had to be replaced for a whopping $360.

- Goose Creek, SC, USA

May 192019

Optima

I just bought this car a month ago and have not been able to work in it as a lyft driver because there is always something wrong with it it's been in the shop more than Iżve drove it it makes a knocking noise and IżM not safe in the vehicle I did a history check on it and come to find out their are a bunch of recalls on it can anyone help me please?I was driving on a city street and highways.

- Corona, CA, USA

Feb 022017

Optima

Headlight assembly: Wiring harness melting, bulbs burning out every 3 months or so. A safety hazard potentially a fire hazard. Driving visibility at night with lights on dim creates a tremendous safety hazard.

- Washington, DC, USA

Oct 032018

Optima

Headlight malfunction shut off problem. At night when in motion on various city streets the front and rear lights will, suddenly and randomly, with no driver input whatsoever, shut off completely both in the back and in the front of the car! the headlamps and rear lamps will, at that point stay completely off with absolutely no exterior lighting function except the brake lights!! the only way to get rear and head lamps back is to turn the headlights switch off and then on again. This malfunction so far has occurred when headlight switch is in auto mode. This mode of lighting detects environmental lighting conditions to activate either daytime running lights or headlights. This has happened five times since I purchased this car brand new in 2016. The dealer has been notified and the car has been inspected several times but they have repeatedly insisted that the system is working żas designedż or shows no problems. Fortunately, I have the front and rear cameras installed with videos to prove it. My vehicle mounted cameras have captured this malfunction as has my iphone video.I will need a way to send you the video files as they are too large. I believe this is a very dangerous situation. After many attempts and communication with the company, the car was kept for two weeks and was returned with repair to what they are calling the "multifunction switch".

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Aug 312018

Optima

While driving with my automatic headlights on at night, the lights have turned off several times while I was driving. The lights turned off for a few seconds each time then turned on again.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Jul 282016

Optima

Headlights shine only on the road straight ahead.side lighting is so bad you can't read the road signs on the side of the road. This is the first time that I have driven the car at night on country roads. The headlights do not fan out on the road ahead at all. Visability is very poor and this is unsafe.

- Maryville, IL, USA

Mar 142018

Optima

When. IżM driving the car shuts off but comes right back on and sometimes the radio just shuts off and comes back on plus all the lights inside goes off.

- Plymouth, MN, USA