8.1

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2019 Subaru Forester:

Apr 022019

Forester

Windshield cracked while driving on highway

- South Jordan, UT, USA

Oct 142019

Forester

Was driving on highway to work, the windshield suddenly cracked, out of nowhere, no rock chip, no impact from outside. It's a 3 months old Forester 2019 with ~5000 miles on it. Really disappointed with the quality of the glass.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Oct 132019

Forester

I purchased a 2019 Subaru Forester in mid-July and have had to replace two windshields due to cracking. The first replacement was in September due to a rock hitting the windshield on the far right passenger side. The chip quickly developed into an 18¿ crack. I noticed a second crack yesterday which originated behind the wiper blade in the bottom center of the windshield that extends on a 16¿ arch in the same direction of the wiper blade motion. There is very small chip, located behind the metal portion of the wiper blade from a rock that must have fallen out of the sky. I was traveling in the vehicle on M55 between lake city and Cadillac on paved roads but had started out the morning in marquette, mi where the temperatures where in the 30S with a rain/snow mix. I did not hear any rock hit the windshield.

- Grand Haven, MI, USA

Oct 122019

Forester

Just yesterday my Subaru experienced an inexplicable sudden windshield fracture. The car was parked in my driveway warming up and I turned on the front defroster and suddenly, from the bottom center of the windshield, a giant crack appeared out of nowhere. My Forester currently has 7600 miles on it and a rock/stone has never struck my windshield. I am the only driver of this vehicle. This crack started at the very bottom center of the windshield under the plastic molding part and made its way up from there. The crack started immediately adjacent to the heating elements / defroster on the bottom middle front windshield as soon as I activated the front defrost feature.

- South St Paul, MN, USA

Aug 312019

Forester

While driving about 40 mph on a well traveled road I¿M assuming a small stone cause a minute divot in the windshield. I was planning on repairing it the following morning. The next morning the entire windshield was cracked. I purchased my Subaru Forester touring August 2019. I didn¿T even own it a month and haven¿T even made a payment. Needless to say I had to replace the windshield and have the sensors recalibrated. I had many stones hit my windshield in the past and I never had to replace it just repair. I found it odd at the time, the entire windshield cracked. Now after reading on car and driver, facebook and now NHTSA I decided to report it. Since the sensor only works with oem glass and you can¿T use rainx I¿M assuming the windshield glass has some type of issues. Why else could I not use a non oem glass? I was told by the dealership a known issue is the sensor may not work.

- Millersburg, PA, USA

Jul 272019

Forester

We bought the car in April, and by July I already had to have the windshield replaced twice and repaired once. It cracks if barely anything hits it.

- Harker Heights, TX, USA

Mar 222019

Forester

My 2019 Subaru Forester is now on its second front windshield replacement. In each case, I assume there was impact from a small rock due to the very tiny chip in-line with the eventual crack. Neither impact started as anything big judging by the size of the tiny pit and the fact the cracks developed days afterwards, the first during city driving and on the second incident, while the car was parked in the garage. I have taken previous small projectile impacts on the interstate with other car makes owned and never had to replace windshields due to similar incidents although now I am on the second windshield replacement on a Subaru owned less than a year. I had a 2003 Subaru Forester and a 2012 Subaru impreza and only replaced one windshield in the 25 yrs combined that I owned those cars.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Oct 082019

Forester

TL- the contact owns a 2019 Subaru Forester sport. The contact drove his vehicle on an errand and came back to his parked vehicle. There was a crack from the top of the windshield that ran down and curved to the right toward the passenger side. The contact researched the issue and found that numerous Subaru vehicles had the same issue. The manufacturer and dealer had not been contacted yet. The contact had called his insurance company and was referred to a glass company.the failure mileage was 4,600.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Apr 172019

Forester

Purchased new in Oct. 2018. Was absolutely surprised just how easy every little tiny bit of salt or normal debris from winter driving chips the windshield (paved, interstate). By the end of the winter, I had near as many pits in this Subaru windshield with 10,500 miles on the Forester as my pickup which has 200,000 miles on it. Then in April 2019, I'm driving down the interstate, a small rock gets thrown at me, and the windshield shatters! it wasn't a hard hit, and it wasn't that big. (I say this based on sound. Usually when a windshield shatters, the noise is so intense it'll make you jump!) then to top it all off, they have the nerve to tell you it costs $1,200 to replace! obviously I have no choice, the crack is right in the worst spot possible for visibility. I cannot safely drive the car due to my height and the where the crack went as it created a double vision issue. I go ahead and schedule the replacement, but the dealer tells me its on back order. It takes them 17 days to get me a new windshield, during which time I cant really drive the car. I did not get third party replacement glass, I got an oem windshield ordered thru the dealer the car was purchased from. Now Oct. 2019 I have 18,300 miles on the car, and while summer driving has been less hard on the windshield, the new one seems to pit easily/often as well.

- Mcpherson, KS, USA

May 222019

Forester

In may a small rock from highway driving nicked the windshield of my car, putting a small scratch in the glass. Within hours the scratch had spread into a major crack spanning 3 feet across the windshield. I had a glass warrantee on the car from the dealer, which the dealer declined to honor because the crack was greater than 12 inches, although starting out as only a nick. I see from car and driver that this has become a concern for at least 100 2019 Subaru Forester owners. I had similar damage on my 2011 Acura rdx with a rock creating a scratch about a quarter of an inch long, but in that case the scratch stayed a scratch. Subaru made me pay for the entire labor and windshield replacement costs on a virtually new car, approximately $1,100.

- Glendale, CA, USA

Sep 272019

Forester

Very weak windshield a very small rock caused a crack all the way across the windshield it didn¿T even hit it directly or hard.

- Ivanhoe, MN, USA

Sep 112019

Forester

Windshield cracked while driving on a bay bridge 1 month after we got our new Subaru Forester. There were no cars in front and no signs of  any objects hitting the glass. It was really suspicious and we decided to search for any similar complaints and found a lot here, so it actually looks like some manufacturer issue.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Sep 142019

Forester

The windshield spontaneously cracked on the passenger side. I was driving straight about 40mph on a hot day mid-September with the A/C going. There was a sudden "pop" and I noticed a curved crack had instantly appeared on the passenger side. There were no cars near me. Looking at the windshield, I didn't see an obvious impact but I could see near the defroster traces the crack appeared to form there. I'm concerned this could have been from thermal stress and the windshield should not have cracked that easily. The crack appears to be coming from inside to outside and some of the glass sort of flaked when I probed it with my finger.

- Louisville, CO, USA

Sep 142019

Forester

I was driving straight on a city street on hot day with the A/C on when there was a loud "pop". a diagonal crack instantly appeared on the passenger side in the windshield. No other cars were near me and I was going about 40mph. The car had previously been sitting in the sun with a windshield shade for about 30 minutes. I'd been driving about 5 minutes when the windshield cracked. When I inspected the crack, it appeared near the defroster and appeared to flake a bit when I probed it with my finger. It appears to be a crack starting from the inside to out. This could be thermal stress and I'm concerned because the car has under 250 miles on it and no windshield should crack that easily.

- Louisville, CO, USA

Sep 052019

Forester

When I parked my car at my workplace there was no visible damage to the windshield and when I returned afterwards, there was a large crack, over a foot long coming from the top of the driver's side. Upon inspection, there is an extremely tiny point of impact from a tiny pebble. The windshield is so fragile. I suspect they use thinner glass to allow eyesight to function properly. I've heard of people needing to replace windshields within weeks of each other. It's concerning when Subaru markets these vehicles to be capable of handling all weather conditions when the windshield is not even strong enough to withstand a tiny pebble. I drive the speed limits, never tailgate, and I never had this problem on any other vehicles I've owned. I'm truly disappointed that I will have to replace my windshield and have eyesight recalibrated, which will be very costly, with less than 4,000 miles on the odometer.

- Williston, VT, USA

Sep 102019

Forester

I purchased a 2019 Subaru Forester, sport in November 2018. In March/April my windshield was cracked by a small rock that hit it on a small country road. I had to have it completely replaced. Now five months later, a small rock hit my windshield while driving on a 2 lane township road, and it cracked again. I have to have it completely replaced again and pay another deductible fee. I've had other, non-Subaru, vehicles and my windshields have never cracked with a rock hitting them. This is my 2nd Subaru vehicle. My first model, a 2010 Forester also had to have it's windshield replaced due to the windshield cracking due to temperature changes. There is no way that the size of rock that hit my glass should have caused the damage that it has, now multiple times.

- Slippery Rock, PA, USA

Dec 282018

Forester

My 2019 Forester premium, 6 weeks old and <200 miles on it was parked in my driveway overnight. It was cold out that night. When I got into my car I turned in the heated windshield and regular heat in the car. Moments later and while still parked in the driveway, the windshield cracked from the windshield heating element halfway up to the top. Brought it to the auto glass place nearby, where it was noted by the technician that no impact point was present. He documented this on my work order / receipt. The windshield was on backorder for 3 weeks but was finally installed.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Jul 112019

Forester

Something hit the edge of the windshield and it cracked over half way to the drivers side. My husband was driving it on nb I65 North of mobile, Alabama. The windshield had sever pits in it not sure what those were caused by. Subaru makes money as the eyesight system needs to be calibrated after a new windshield is installed. One crack had been repaired on 2/4819 mileage was 6330

- Battle Creek, MI, USA

Aug 262019

Forester

Windshield defect. It just cracked by itself without any outside force. The crack started at the bottom of the windshield. The vehicle was not at motion. It was after being parked.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Aug 252019

Forester

A spontaneous 20-25in windshield crack has appeared overnight while my 2019 Subaru Forester was parked in a covered parking spot at my home on 8/25/2019. I was surprised to see this in the morning on Sunday as there was no crack on Saturday and the car was just sitting there overnight. Seems like the crack started below the driver's window wiper (where the wiper heating element is located) and developed a C-shape crack up and to the left towards the driver's view side. No signs of chips or dents on the windshield, it has cracked for no obvious reason. Please see pictures attached. I have googled this issue and it seems that there were a lot of similar complaints about outback and Forester in the past. It would be nice if Subaru acknowledged and fixed this issue. Thank you for your help! best regards, michael

- San Jose, CA, USA