Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Corvette:

Jun 142020

Corvette

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Corvette. The contact stated that the service access handling warning light was illuminated. The contact stated that the vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 10V172000 (steering). The contact stated that on several occasions, the vehicle drifted to the right after the brakes independently activated without warning. Bob mccosh Chevrolet Buick GMC Cadillac (1 business loop 70 w, columbia, mo 65203, (573) 442-6156) were contacted but was unable to identify the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage 160,000.

- Columbia, MO, USA

Dec 022019

Corvette

NHTSA campaing number 10V172000. My car is presenting this problem, it is completely unsafe to drive and I am afraid to have an accident to weight that there is evidence of the GM dealers problem do not want to attend under its responsibility

- Miami, FL, USA

Oct 112019

Corvette

Car stopped at stop sign turning right into traffic, steering became shakier and brakes started locking up and traction control service light came on. Top speed was 20mph

- Burlington, KY, USA

May 112019

Corvette

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Corvette. The contact stated that after parking the vehicle, the steering wheel seized and could not be turned in either direction and the engine could not be immediately restarted. After the vehicle was finally restarted, the message 'steering locked┐ had displayed. The vehicle was towed the local dealer grabiak Chevrolet (8282 rt. 22 new alexandria, pa.) the cause of the failure was not yet determined. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 52,000.

- Apollo, PA, USA

Apr 202019

Corvette

Making a U-turn or any extreme position of steering wheel rotation causes ABS and service traction control lights to engage and forces a seizure if the brakes, locking them and preventing any kind of movement. The only solution to unlocking brakes through my experience is to shut off and restart the vehicle.

- Montebello, CA, USA

Jan 062019

Corvette

I was driving my vehicle at approximately 68 mph in a straight line on the highway. The road conditions were dry and cold. I was driving straight and did not hit any bumps in the road when suddenly I felt the steering pulling my car about 1/4 turn to the left and about a 1/2 turn to the right and brakes were applied, not by me. I then heard a chiming noise and saw an error code on my dash saying "service active handling system". I gained control of my vehicle and exited the highway. I read on many forums that other C6 owners, especially years '05-'06 have had this issue and that the defect may lie in the steering wheel position sensor connector. My vehicle is equipped with a telescoping steering wheel where this issue seems to arise.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Dec 052018

Corvette

My question is; I own a 2005 corvette C6 and have been having problems with my steering column which is the tilt and telescoping. Such as not being able to start it. I am lucky that my brakes haven't locked up on me yet. During my research I found that you had began a safety recall on April 30, 2010, NHTSA 10V172000, regarding the tilt and telescoping steering wheel on my year and model of vehicle. I contacted my Chevrolet dealership yesterday about this and scheduling to have them put in the bypass to column lock. I mentioned the safety recall and he told me that there was only one recall on my vehicle, lights. Why isn't my car approved for the safety recall of 2010, when she meets all of the criteria?

- University Place, WA, USA

Oct 052018

Corvette

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Corvette. When the engine was started, the steering wheel became permanently locked. The contact was unable to unlock the steering wheel. The vehicle was towed to an unknown dealer where it was diagnosed that the electronic steering lock failed. The dealer stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 04V060000 (steering). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 56,700.

- Troutville, VA, USA

Mar 192018

Corvette

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Corvette. On two different occasions, while attempting to start the vehicle, it failed to crank. The contact stated that the electronic signal malfunctioned. The vehicle was taken to wally edgar Chevrolet Inc (3805 S lapeer rd, lake orion, mi 48360), but no diagnostic failure codes were found and the failure could not be duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired and the failure recurred. The vehicle was then taken to jefferson Chevrolet (2130 E jefferson ave, detroit, mi 48207) where the dealer confirmed that no recalls were associated with the VIN. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 04V060000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure and provided case number: 8-1941692497. The approximate failure mileage was 53,000.

- Rochester, MI, USA

Dec 172017

Corvette

I received a message on the information screen on the dash, it says service active handling system. Is there a recall for this. What may happen, what do you recommend I do, I belong to a Corvette forum here is the web address for the forum nhthqnwws111.ODI.NHTSA.dot.go, https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/C6-tech-performance-101/ https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/C6-tech-performance/2336065-service-active-handling-consumer-action.html, , I was just driving down the road at 45 mph

- Melbourne, FL, USA

Jul 052016

Corvette

Keep showing " service active handling." I called my local Chevy dealer and they said all of the recalls has been done but it seems like they didn't do a good job fixing it. I bought 2 years ago, and it's very dangerous to drive when its slippery or raining. I almost got rear ended because the wheels locked up.

- Campbell, CA, USA

Oct 042017

Corvette

Tried to start my Corvette which is stored in the garage and dash screen stated "service column lock" and vehicle will not start. After researching online I found this is a known issue for 2005 manual transmission Corvettes and lots of people are having the same problem. Called GM to see if my VIN would be covered since this is a known issue with a faulty part, and was told it was not. GM should do the right thing for their customers and recall this known problem to fix or reimburse those who have already paid for this very inconvenient and dangerous issue.

- Morgan Hill, CA, USA

Aug 262017

Corvette

The active handling appears while driving on a city street and it seems the wheel brake is applied causing me to lose control of the car.

- Southfield, MI, USA

May 302017

Corvette

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Corvette. The contact stated that the vehicle was parked and upon attempting to start the vehicle, a warning message was displayed of 'steering column locked". the vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The dealer was not contacted. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 21,162.

- Oley, PW, USA

May 022017

Corvette

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Corvette. The contact stated that the "vehicle service column locked" sensor illuminated, and the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 04V060000 (steering). The manufacturer provided the contact with case number: 8-2959654851. The contact stated that the failure occurred a year prior and the system was reset; however, the failure recurred. The failure mileage was 71,183.

- Chatham, NJ, USA

Jan 012011

Corvette

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Corvette. While braking and turning in either direction, the vehicle braked independently and pulled to one side. The failure recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering column failed and the wiring needed to be repaired. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V172000 (steering). The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Macon, GA, USA

Dec 052016

Corvette 8-cyl

Steering column lock is defective can lock while driving this is a know issue on 2005 Corvettes GM is refusing to fix it they are claiming my care was not part of the recall but is suffering the same issue as other vehicles that were recalled this is a known issue on my vehicle.

- Inverness, FL, USA

Jul 202007

Corvette

Service active traction system lights up and the brakes activate (one or both front wheels lock up) at low speeds while braking and turning at the same time. Very dangerous when traffic has to go around you and you are stranded

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Mar 142016

Corvette

While driving through a parking lot at roughly 10mph, my car jammed on the front left, then both front brakes, bringing me to a sudden stop. Active handling was showing in the driver information cluster just like when your car loses traction for any reason... I thought this was very odd as it wasn't raining, no sand or fluids were present on the road in front of me, and I was barely touching the gas pedal. I then checked to see if I had run something over or if anything was jammed in the wheels/brakes.... nothing visible. I get back in, reverse just fine, but as soon as I shift back to first and attempt forward motion boom it jams the brakes on again. I then re-clutched, tried again with a little more gas, thinking maybe I do have something stuck under the car.... nope, it still brings me to a stop immediately. At this point, I was freaked out....(needless to say) I held the active handling (traction control) button down until the system was fully disabled, after doing this I was able to drive the car back to work. I then found out about the recall and called the dealer. They told me that this recall for active handling had been completed in 2010. I asked them to please verify this as I had a headlight recall to do anyways and scheduled an appointment. Long story short... the service adviser told me that the previous repair had failed and that it needed to be done again. He then tells me that they do not have to fix my car because they already repaired it back in 2010 and that it would be up to me to cover the cost. After trying for over a week to convince them to do the right thing, I gave up and paid them for the repair. Im very worried that this will also not hold up. If this repair failed in the past, who is to say that it wont happen again, and this time it could cause a crash, even death. Please help, someone has to hold these people accountable.

- Fort Walton Beach, FL, USA

Feb 042016

Corvette

Power steering hose leak, had dealer remove, replace. I was covered under warranty purchase, also tail lights and headlights inoperable, had dealer perform safety inspection. Items corrected. Recent purchase Jan. 2016 used.

- Vacaville, CA, USA