8.8

$1,290

Most common solutions:

1. replace brake boosters (5 reports)
  3. replace brake/ABS module (2 reports)
  4. replaced brake booster under recall #13n02 (1 reports)
  5. reprogrammed pcm (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Edge:

Jul 292020

Edge ES V8

This problem started about a year ago with one incident of having to push the brake to the floor. It happened again months later and then on July 29, 2020, it totally lost it.

- Debbie M., Rockwall, US

Sep 042020

Edge Limited 3.2L V6

Friday, 09.04.2020, brakes went to the floor... had to stand on them to stop. Took my car to Firestone in Mt. Pleasant, SC as it was Labor Day weekend and my regular mechanic was closed until Tues. Firestone replaced the master cylinders and removed and replaced the power brake booster. There's also a charge for "vacuum power". $915 later I got my car back and the brakes still felt spongy. About a week later they went to the floor again. I took it back to Firestone. They replaced a defective master cylinder but then told me about a problem Ford has with the Brake Booster (covered with an extended warranty up to 10 yrs for "certain" models) They recommended I take it to the Ford Dealership. I took it to the dealership and they told me that they have to replace the "Head Control Unit" and that cost is going to be $2000.

At first, they told me it would take a month to get the part in because it was back ordered and it wasn't safe for me to drive my car until the part got in. I freaked out because I am a 60 YO single woman and don't have a way to get back and forth to work every day without hitching rides with various friends. They eventually called back and said they found one at another dealership and it would take a "couple of weeks". I pleaded with them to Fed Ex the part and they called me back later and told me it will be in by Monday (it's Thursday now). This is $3,000 total for brakes on this car for a known problem by Ford that isn't covered!!!! I'm going to fix it, sell it and go into debt to by another car... ANYTHING but a Ford.

I never got any letters from Ford about replacing the Brake Booster and I don't know how to find out if it is one of the "certain" models that is covered under the extended warranty. That work wasn't done at Ford because when your brakes quit working you get it to the closest shop as soon as possible... it was an emergency and too dangerous to drive across town to the dealership, even if they'd been open.

- Beth T., Mt Pleasant, US

Dec 142019

Edge SEL 3.5L, V6

click to see larger images

brakes unresponsive

I believe an Engineer or three should be ashamed that their efforts did not FAIL SAFE. The very marginal residual braking strength after the outlet valve sticks open is a fail on a life safety system. I have always been fascinated with vehicles and as they get more technical I am amazed at the sometimes inability to implement passive operation of necessary systems.

More and more simple sensor failure leads to a dangerous operation mode that makes it difficult to reach safety in the busy speedways. I was able to find a solution due to internet and ALLDATADIY subscription.

- James T., Bainbridge, US

Jan 062020

Edge Limited 3.2L

The brakes go all the way to the floor before the car stops. Took it to a dealership that said the brake booster was bad. They replaced it. Didn’t fix the issue. Now they’re replacing the master cylinder. Hope that works.

- Scott C., Claryville, US

Jul 102019

Edge SEL 3.5L

Honestly could have caused a huge accident with this. Brakes went completely to the floor coming down a hill into town and got lucky no one was in front of us. Was able to coast to a stop with faint braking power. Had it been a red light or any reason for stopping for sure would have been a crash or worse. Apparently to ABS/Brake module was basically dumping peddle pressure input making the pedal go to the floor. Stupid expensive to fix. Not happy.

- Andrew V., Flensburg, Minnesota, US

May 042019

Edge SEL 6 cyl

Without warning, brake unresponsive and was pressed all the way to the floor before stopping. Vehicle towed. Brake booster again. The first time was after purchasing the vehicle, approximately 36,000 miles. Ford offered warranty to 150K miles, so the repair was covered. Noticeably brake still soft.

- C E., Houston, TX, US

Aug 012018

Edge SE V6

When you put your foot on the brake pedal, it barely moves. You're not sure it's going to stop and then all of a sudden, the brakes take hold and it appears that you are throwing your brakes on,

Update from Aug 30, 2018: The problem is that my auto needs a brake booster Assembly. It is not a recall item even though there are many other 2013 Edges experiencing the same problem. I took it to the Ford dealer and received an estimate for $450.00. I believe that this is a problem that Ford should recognize and pay for the fix.

- ajwimpaw, Summerdale, US

Jul 062018

Edge ES V6

Braking problems should be handled with a seriousness not conveyed by the dealership that worked on my problem. The response was " just a switch in the PCM." Like this switch can shut off again when ever it feels like it.

- stephenhusarik, Rancho Cordova, US

May 012018

Edge SEL V6

In researching I found that Ford issued an extended warranty for this issue, but like with others, when I contacted Ford my vehicle was not covered because it was manufactured in a different facility (Canada apparently) but obviously this issue goes beyond that facility. I noticed when the car was idling (in reverse, coasting) the brakes would be hard and difficult to apply pressure. It became increasingly worse over a short amount of time. This is a serious brake issue that can cause an accident. The booster should last 150k miles but mine is at 40k. Luckily, I have an extended warranty but it's still money I should not have had to put out.

- Heather B., Reno, US

Apr 102018

Edge SEL

My Brakes is soft and goes to the floor sometimes. Took it to the dealer and they said my brake booster is going out and that I need to be careful not to run into the back of anyone. Talked to the dealership that I bought the car from they said that the master cylinder sounds as if is going out as well. That is a bit much!!! I need help with this problem and Ford Manufacturer should step in and pay for the Labor to have it fixed. Ford knew that it was a problem with this model of car and year and they should have done something about it!!! Peoples' lives are at stake here, why not fix the problems!!

Update from Apr 25, 2018: Wade Ford is going over and beyond to correct the problem and make nothing else is going on as well. They are really stepping up to correct the problem. It is great to have people that care about your safety. Thanks Wade Ford

- fergusons, Woodstock, US

Jul 022016

Edge Limited AWD 3.5L Ti-Vct V6

Again after a few days of a squishy brake pedal that could catch and release, I almost hit a person who was riding a bike and a truck in the same day since I could not hit the brake pedal as hard as I needed to get stopped in time. Yes, both times the other party was at fault but I immediately drove to the dealership to get it fixed. I rented a car for the 34 hrs that it took to get fixed.

- blackangel, Beavercreek, OH, US

Sep 162016

Edge V6

Pulled out of parking lot of work to stop sign. Hit brakes, but nothing happened and car entered street approx. 2 feet without stopping. Gravel truck swerved to go around. Used caution on way home and happened one more time at a stoplight. This time, brake pedal went soft and nearly clipped car in front of me. This evening mentioned to wife. Wife went to see my mother after I returned home. Wife stated that brake pedal went soft and nearly clipped car in front of her. Did this one more time on way back home. Car to go into Lithia on Monday for other problems will add to list. (May be covered under extended warranty...hope so!) This is really a scary scenario!!!

Update from Sep 20, 2016: Problem was related to Brake Booster failure. Brake Booster was replaced by Lithia Ford and covered under Extended Warranty Recall #13N02.

- Rh V., Boise, ID, US

Aug 092016

Edge Sport V6

Update on my FAILED BRAKE BOOSTER on my Ford Edge Sport: This is how much Ford Motor Company cares about its customers, and public safety in general!!! AND I AM JUST GETTING STARTED!!! (Update that I posted on a Ford site): Dear Ford, I'm shocked at fact that 1 day ago, while driving my 2013 Ford Edge Sport, in a 35mph zone, when the vehicle in front of me slows down to make a right turn into a shopping area. I was following at a safe distance, but when I applied my brakes, NOTHING HAPPENED!!! 😳😳😳 My brakes Failed!!! 😡😡😡 Lucky for me, The car ahead of me made its turn, and I used every ounce of strength in my muscular legs to bring my vehicle to a stop. (I exercise 5 to 6 times a week). The Dealership where I bought my SUV Brand New 3 years ago was to the right as well, approximately 100ft away, so I pulled in; with an EXTREMELY FAST BEATING HEART!!! The Penske Ford service advisor informed me that there's a recall on the BRAKE BOOSTER for my vehicle.... (THIS IS NEWS TO ME!!!) They gave me a rental mini utility van, because they had nothing else at the onsite Enterprise Rental Agency I was SO shook up that I cancelled the massage and lunch that I was headed to, I went home and stayed there until this morning. They'd informed me yesterday that my SUV was ready to be picked up at 4 PM, but I refused, and decided to pick it up this morning. Upon arriving at Penske Ford La MESA, California, I asked the service Advisor if the recall was only for Ford Edge Sports, or all Ford Edge models? The Service Advisor Ryan tells me that he had a guy in with the Same Problem, and that customer drives a Ford F-150. The Recall is for all Ford Edge Models, and the F-150 evidently, but FORD IS KEEPING THIS DANGEROUS DEFECT A SECRET, Why??? I get it, Money.... It will cost more to recall, than it will in potential lawsuits!!! How utterly heartless. I then said I was going to notify my cousin because I just took my uncle to that same dealership and he purchased a Ford edge year 2013. The Service Advisor Ryan then states "Per Ford Headquarters, that they cannot replace any Brake Boosters unless the part actually fails first!!!" My mouth hit the floor in shock. I asked him if they wanted someone to die or be seriously injured before they actually announced a recall? "Ryan replied (I know), meaning that there's nothing he can do about it, Ford Will NOT reimburse their dealership if they replace brake boosters that have not failed, so they would lose money. That was his answer." I had just been driving 70 miles an hour on the freeway, what if it happened five minutes sooner? I'm completely disgusting with Ford at this point, and am going to the Website and calling until I get a satisfactory answer.... I.e. (They / FORD announce a recall or I go to the media.... THIS Is A PROMISE!!!) I was frazzled the remainder of that day.... I'm still frazzled and disgusted that this keeping of such a dangerous secret is legal, HOW???

- Sean M., San Diego, CA, US