Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2020 GMC Sierra 1500:

Apr 302021

Sierra 1500

It was fine and we drove to our neighbor, parked about 15 mins. When we started the truck to turn back, the steering was super heavy, with 2 messages pop up on the dashboard: Services ESC, and service power steering drive with care. Tried several times to re-start the truck, it's keep the same. In our neiborhood, parrot tulip view, pflugerville, tx 78660. Raining all night, not sure if it's related to the weather.

- Pflugerville, TX, USA

Mar 162021

Sierra 1500

My truck Tuesday March 16th had me update software as soon as I got to work, after it was done I got out of my truck and it would not lock with push button or fob. When I got into my truck to go home 10hrs later it made a bunch of clicking noises and after a minute it showed update complete on screen then started. The very next day I drove back to work which is 22 miles. When I took my truck to lunch three blocks away I had ESC service light and service parking brake accompanied by check engine light. I called local dealership to get it looked at and they said Friday was as early as I could get it in. I left work early at 1:30 and tried to drive it and it was squalene like a bad power steering pump and shaking as I drove. I went ahead and took it the dealer.

- Burbank, OK, USA

Feb 252021

Sierra 1500

When stationary and preparing to start vehicle intermittently see "service steering column lock" message appears and disappear once vehicle is started. This was previously supposed to be addressed with service bulletin 20-na-21 however being told by service department that vehicle has all current updates applied a year ago, including the one that should of addressed the issue. Told that the vehicle history shows records of past "loss of communication to dic" but as they can't immediately reproduce no action was taken.

- Tyler, TX, USA

Feb 162021

Sierra 1500

The steering will completely lock up, this is the 2nd occurrence. It was at the dealer 1143 miles ago and codes were cleared, problem reoccurred. I was able to start the vehicle, put in drive/reverse neutral etc without issues, however the steering was completely locked up and would not allow steering/control of the vehicle. The vehicle was parked in driveway, cold outside both times. I have video evidence. The first occurrence 12/26/2020 at 9591 miles, 2nd occurrence 2/16/2021 at 10733 miles (1142 miles later)

- Snellville, GA, USA

Dec 142020

Sierra 1500

On December 14, 2020 my Sierra with 2339 miles displayed, at startup, the power steering was out, to drive with care. Also displayed service ESC and traction control failures. I drove with much difficulty, without power steering, ten miles to the nearest GMC dealership, lafontaine in highland, mi. I picked up the vehicle on December 29, 2020 with an additional 60 miles. The service personnel said they were unable to duplicate the problem, therefore no repairs were made. Lafontaine had contacted General Motors tech center who offered no solutions other than checking the battery and wiring harness connections. The problem has not reappeared in the fifteen days since I picked up my vehicle.

- White Lake, MI, USA

Sep 212020

Sierra 1500

Everything was fine for about 6 months after having purchased vehicle as new. Then I got warning lights asking me to both service the parking break and service ESC with a warning that driving would be compromised just over 60mph. I notified dealer who says they fixed the glitch but it happened again. The last time, most recently, I tried to start the truck the next day and all the warning lights came on. This was followed by a complete shut down. No engine, no lights - not even lock/unlock with key fob. It had to be towed. This is a 2020 vehicle and seems like it will strand me some place at the very least. Awful, expensive, and perhaps deadly dynamics here. GMC, get your act together. You owe us immediately. Provide the fix immediately or give me money back with no contest.

- Sierra Madre, CA, USA

Aug 292020

Sierra 1500

Parked truck for one hour, engine off. Came back and upon startup, received multiple errors that power steering and ESC required dealer attention. Brake pedal would depress to floor. GMC Sierra 1500 elevation trim

- Bartlesville, OK, USA

Aug 112020

Sierra 1500

The contact owns a 2020 GMC Sierra 1500. The contact stated that the vehicle was at a stand still in a hospital parking lot, when the steering wheel ceased. The contact stated that the power steering assist warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was not drivable. The vehicle was towed to local dealer phillips Buick GMC located at 2160 us-441 #27, fruitland park, fl 34731, (352) 728-1212, however the mechanic was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle had not been repaired as of yet. The manufacturer had not been informed of failure. The failure mileage was 1,000. The VIN was not available.

- The Villages, FL, USA

Jun 102020

Sierra 1500

2020 GMC Sierra steering issues. Loss of communication between modules. Results in locked steering or no power steering assist. Happens randomly at vehicle start up. Been to the dealer four times so far. The first two was informed there's nothing wrong with it. Repairs attempted, update software, engine harness repair, and steering module replacement.

- Mims, FL, USA

May 212020

Sierra 1500

The contact owns a 2020 GMC Sierra. The contact stated that while driving at 25 mph, the system brake failure warning message illuminated on the instrument panel. Once the warning light illuminated, the contact experienced complete brake and steering failure. The contact was able to steer the vehicle into a curb to slow down the vehicle and avoid a possible collision with another vehicle. The contact stated that he had suffered pain to his left shoulder blade and left knee; however, he did not seek medical attention due to covid-19. After experiencing the failure, the contact had the vehicle towed to desert sun motors, Inc. (2600 N white sands blvd, alamogordo, nm 88310) where they cleared the system's computer and informed the contact that they found no defects with the vehicle. Upon return of the vehicle, he experienced another brake failure as the check engine light illuminated while driving at 55 mph. Due to the failure, the contact was forced to run a red light and drive up an incline in order to bring the vehicle to a complete stop. The vehicle was then towed shamaley Buick GMC (955 crockett St, el paso, tx 79922) where it remained in their possession. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and a field inspector was sent to inspect the vehicle. The contact stated that know brake failure codes were detected. The contact stated after the third failure the vehicle was towed to shamaley GMC where it was awaiting diagnosis. The vehicle had yet to be repaired. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Almogordo, NM, USA

Feb 222020

Sierra 1500

I was going about 15 miles per hour when suddenly all these error codes started popping up, first "ESC malfunction" then trailer brake malfunction, stabilitrak, steering assist reduced, brake system fail, lighs just pop up I do feel like the truck looses some power feels more sluggish, I took it to dealership, they recalibrated the break system and stuff, it fixed the issue temporarily, but the lights keep coming back, sometimes I turn the truck on in the morning and lights are gone, then later on I get all the error codes again while driving it. It started 4 days after I purchased the truck and happens daily since.

- Tolleson, AZ, USA