Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Sonata:

Aug 102021

Sonata

White paint peeling off from the car.

- Colonie, NY, USA

Apr 052021

Sonata

Seatbelt failed too retract correctly allowing door to be shut on it leading too door ajar sensor damage or failure leaving red light at bottom of driver door always turned on draining battery every time overnight. Only fix for this was too remove sensor to prevent battery drain but now my car locks door even with engine turned on. Saftey issue. Cost of fuel roadside unlock assistance and battery check or replacement cost.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Apr 012021

Sonata

The front dashboard has multiple lines of cracks near the dashboard. After researching online it looks like a common issue with this model. The dash being cracker on the passenger side on top of the airbag makes me really worried about the airbag blowing off. Also the car looks so bad with all the cracks that I have pur a cover on top of the dash which could result in the airbag not opening upon collison.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Nov 192020

Sonata

My engine was recently replaced due to a settlement agreement due to faulty engine which died, this occurred in October 2020 and I received my vehicle back two weeks ago with a new engine. Last night on 11/19/2020 the engine in my vehicle burst into flames while I was parked in a restaurant parking lot. The engine caught fire with no notice and I had to contact the fire department to put the fire out.

- Dumfries, VA, USA

Jul 072020

Sonata

Two cracks (6 inches or longer) have appeared on the passenger side dashboard (around the "air bag" indication on the dash). I am very concerned this will compromise the deployment of the air bag if necessary. A formal complaint (case#17284937) was logged in by Hyundai, but no remedy was given.

- Wellington, FL, USA

Aug 172020

Sonata

I was driving to work on a highway, approximately 7:15am I started smelling something burning. My car was bucking. I went to pull over when my car turned a sharp right into trees. The car was completely consumed by flames.

- Washington, NJ, USA

Jun 032020

Sonata

The paint is peeling on the hood of the car. On the dash there are 2 cracks one on either side of the airbag enclosure. The steering wheel has the rubber peeling off. The paint on the top of the roof panel is cracked/ready to peel off. The car was in my driveway. I had to replace the transmission sensor with harness 6/03/2030 I only had 42171 miles at the cost of $751.47. My warranty is for 10 years and 100,000 miles but they said it wasn't covered. I was driving when the check engine light came on and I made the appointment immediately and brought it in 6/03/2020 to the Hyundai dealership.

- Destin, FL, USA

Jul 152020

Sonata

The trunk no longer opens automatically when pushing the button on remote key and/or trunk button inside the car. Additionally, the car's display system no longer operates properly and when touching the screen to select an option, it operates a different function then pressed. Such as. Selecting volume up might change the radio station instead. When pressing the screen to select a different mode for music, screen went completely black while navigating (car in motion) and was no longer operable. The rear view camera has failed as well and when the vehicle is put in reverse, there is merely a blue screen and no visual of the rear. I had an error message display on the screen on 15 July 20, but I am uncertain if this is relatable.

- Mangilao, GU, USA

Jul 192020

Sonata

Took my car to (Hyundai sanota 2013 turbo) to dealer to get brake lights fixed and the steering wheel fixed acouple of years ago...which was covered by my warranty the underwriter notice the paint had pealed from the front bumper and stated he will have them paint the bumper after he checked with someone they stated the other owner had bumper wrapped so Hyundai not responsible... since then I've seen many of Hyundai bumbers with the same problem 🤔 #2 while driving my car last this weekend a tapping sound coming from engine so I chaged my oil...after I chaged the oil the I drove my car not even 2 miles and it seemed the tapping sound was getting worse... the oil and check engine light came on and it started knocking and shut off now my car want even start my extended warranty expired 2/2020😖

- Orlando, FL, USA

Feb 212020

Sonata

My front and passenger driver's side doors have had the locking mechanism/actuator cables detach and break. Requiring me to have a mechanic forcefully open the doors and then replace the internal locking assembly and cables at a cost of over $800 per door. One door cable broke in the summer of 2019 and the second door, the drivers door, just broke this Friday 2/21/2020. This is a huge safety hazard and is known to happen in this vehicle after warranty is out. If this happened without someone knowing they wouldn't be able to open their door. I work with uber and lyft as a second job as well and cannot have this type of mechanical issue.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Jan 022020

Sonata

My 2013 Hyundai Sonata driver side door handle when I unlocked my door to get in my vehicle it will not open at all even with the key to unlock my drivers side!

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 272019

Sonata

The paint is chipping across the whole vehicle. Some areas are just little spots but others are large chunks. The vehicle has been properly maintained yet the paint is chipping.

- Miami, FL, USA

May 112019

Sonata

Only 50,000 miles and dash cracked in 2 sections and dealer said that it is not covered in warranty. No help from Hyundai

- Hormigueros, PR, USA

Nov 132018

Sonata

I was involved in a major accident on 11-13-18 involving someone rear ending me from behind. I was driving down the street with traffic when I was hit, I ended up hitting the car in front of me and so on. It ended up being a 4 car collision and my air bags did not deploy ! causing my face to smash against the steering wheel. Now I have personal injuries involving my back and neck. I do not think I wasn't informed in a timely matter of the recall camp 174. This could have been much worse. Please advise

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 052018

Sonata

The glass sunroof exploded for no reason.. I was driving 9/5/18 about 5pm, no one in front of me, nothing overheads, and I heard a loud sound (like a bullet) didn't see anything around me, the windshield looked fine, but the glass sunroof had shattered. Thank goodness the inside roof liner was closed and the shattered glass did not fall on my face or into my car.

- Santa Clarita, CA, USA

Dec 142017

Sonata

The white paint is chipping away from the trunk and right rear panel. Maaco's evaluation indicated a paint defect with certain car brands, which includes Hyundai. The paint bubbles and then breaks. Maaco stated the likelihood is that it will happen in other parts of the car. If untreated, corrosion will eventually set in.

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Nov 022017

Sonata

I have now replaced the housing rear brake light unit 3 times due to shorting out. The most recent short has caused the housing unit to melt causing a replacement of just the bulb not an option. The tag lights turn off and on and appear sometimes to be burnt out. This is also a short/wiring issue. This is a huge cause of concern for a trunk fire as this happens when the vehicle is in motion. I have been pulled over as a warning to get the lights replaced. Also, the spoiler on the vehicle has not only cracked all the way through but is also peeling due to coating issues. Only the spoiler on the car is the problem.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Nov 072017

Sonata

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 65 mph, the sun roof exploded and caused glass to enter the vehicle. There were no injuries. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 68,000.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Apr 142017

Sonata

Sonata recall on April 14, ,2017 driving at 65 mph on I 75 my engine exploded and I successfully was able to maneuver to the shoulder. I ha be subsequently been sent a recall from Hyundai about this dangerous defect that they have been aware of for over 18 months. However the destruction does not end there. Hyundai motors of North America replaced the blown engine with a new model engine and after I had been driving the vehicle again for 36 hours and under 300 miles...the new engine caught on fire totally destroying my vehicle again due to my dilgence and the cincinnati fire department we were able to extinguish the fire with damage to other people or property. Hyundai has serious quality control issues. The car was on 4 th street in downtown cincinnati when the fire broke out.

- Dayton, OH, USA

May 032017

Sonata

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 70 mph, the wheel well fender plastic cover detached. The failure recurred twice. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 19,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA