9.1

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2019 Jeep Compass:

Jan 192020

Compass

I was backing out of my drive way when the car completely stopped and stalled. I tried turning the car back on and it sounds like it is on but does not let me accelerate or reverse. I tried multiple times turning it on and off and it still would not let me drive. We pushed the car back into the driveway and about 3 hours later I tried turning it on again and it turned on. We took it back to Dodge (this is the second time this car has stalled like this randomly) and they could not duplicate the issue and released the car back to us.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Jan 062020

Compass

I was at a red lighting turning right and when I started to go the car stalled and would not let me go forward. I tried turning the car on and off and it made a noise like the car was turning on but would not let me move forward. I tried turning it on and off a couple times then the check engine light came on. I popped the hood and then tried turning the car on again, this time it did turn on and was letting me move forward and then it stalled again and would not let me go forward. My husband had to push the car and jump start it (its a manual) we drove straight to Dodge to have it looked at. They were unable to duplicate the issue and released the car back to us.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Oct 152018

Compass

On three separate occasions while coming to a stop the brakes started to pulsate, once stopped the car stalled and engaged the parking brake all by itself and would not accelerate or go into park or turn off, for 7 minutes while in the middle of an intersection. Also, screen display jumps between apps on its own and wonżT allow me to change or touch anything on the screen, glitches and holds two apps at once for extended periods of time.

- Hawthorne, FL, USA

Sep 172019

Compass

My car had stalling and shutting off problems while driving in three occasions, one day it happened 2 times, after a stop light, immediately after the vehicle restarted and then again after a stop sign, this time the check engine sign was on as a result. 3rd time it was when restarting after an intersection stop, when crossing after turning left, fortunately the car continued to the other end with the 1st acceleration impulse, and this time it turned on the emergency brake.

Oct 022019

Compass

Leased this car brand new. At 60 miles on odometer, went to start car, car turned started but then stalled/turned off instantly. Had to wait a few minutes to start again. At 250 miles car came to brief stop on slight incline while waiting for a parking gate to open, parking gate opened and vehicle was starting to roll with the car off, I released my foot from the brake but the car wouldn't start it stalled. I pushed the brakes back to stop my car. Car was still in drive, I tried to re-start my car by hitting the push button, car wouldn't turn over. Eventually was able to restart after 60 minutes. This is an extreme safety hazard, I am lucky this didn't happen at a busy intersection.

- Middletown, CT, USA

Oct 012019

Compass

This is my 5th time reporting this issue to the manufacturer they have also had a final repair attempt and declared no issue even though as I write this the problem still exists. I was parked for an hour at a store I come out turn on the vehicle place the car in reverse car freezes up wonżT move from on or run and cannot change to drive or anything else engine light came on and reverse symbol continues to blink car had to be restarted twice after this to get it to drive to go home.

Sep 062019

Compass

When I have to brake and come to a stop the car rumbles, then when completly stopped the car shuts off, then when I take my foot off the brake peddle the starter kicks in and starts the car in gear with a rumble and then I can go? it does'nt matter if on the high way or at a stop sign it rumbles, shuts off and restarts in gear. The car is (2) days old with 35 miles.

- Broad Channel, NY, USA

Aug 272019

Compass

On 2/28/19 I leased a 2019 Jeep Compass. I have been having minor issues with it when trying to start the car, sometimes it just doesnt start. As I write this on 9/3/19 I am extremely concerned about the lease I have and therefore why I am documenting my experience. Last week, Tuesday, 8/27/19 while in an intersection, my car completely shut off. I reached out to miami lakes auto mall on various occasions, this was a total disaster, I kept being transferred to voicemails and could not get anyone on the phone while in the middle of this intersection. I called Chrysler roadside (another mess) and ended up having to wait 4 hours until a tow truck could come and get my car, still in the middle of an intersection, had to call 911 so a police car could park behind me as obviously this was a safety issue. After finally getting the car towed, police, rain and being stuck in an intersection and all, finally made it to the dealership. Customer service was horrible except for a service manager called jonathan, he was the only person that spoke with me during this time, of course after I arrived to the dealership, enterprise was closed so I had to take an uber home. I had to leave to tampa for work so I had to go get a rental at national that morning and head out, on Thursday the 29th I spoke with jonathan and he told me the issues with the vehicle was a software failure and that the vehicle is working properly now. With hurricane dorian coming and if I had to evacuate, of course, I was not feeling confident that I wasn't going to get stranded with my family with a faulty vehicle so I had to keep the rental for a few more days. I am very nervous of taking this vehicle home as now I dont know if it will leave me stalled, I have read this is an issue with the Compass. I have filed a complaint with Jeep as well.

Aug 282019

Compass

I will be driving and while at a stop light or stop sign my emergency brake will come on without me realizing it.the car is still running at this time and when I step on the gas the car will just roll into the middle of the intersection and stop. I have tried just clicking it off, but the emergency brake will not come off until I turn the car off and then back on. This is my second 2019 Jeep Compass. The first one I had only 4 days because the emergency brake was coming on at almost every stop I made. The 2019 Jeep Compass that I have now has done it a total of 6 times since I have had it, and I have had it for about 2 months. I have taken it to Jeep 3 times, but there are no codes that pop up and of course the problem doesnżT occur during the short time that they have the car. This problem occurs when the car is at a complete stop whether I am stopping at a stop sign or light.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Aug 232019

Compass

This is my third complaint on this 2019 Jeep Compass. While driving the vehicle stalls and the emergency brake and other lights come on. The vehicle is unable to be restarted and has to be towed. The dealership has updated software, and now has said that the car is low on oil every three weeks and that's why it stalls in the middle of traffic extremely dangerous and I have a baby on the way!. the oil change indicator doesn't ever show up and the manufacturer just gives the run around.

Aug 222019

Compass

This is my third time with an issue on this vehicle stalling. I was turning at an intersection and the car just stalled lighting up every notifying signal including an emergency brake being locked in almost causing an serious accident.

Aug 192019

Compass

Vehicle has shut off twice while driving with no warning. First instance occurred on a highway and the second at an intersection.

- Austin, TX, USA

Aug 052019

Compass

This car shut off a red light at busy intersection because of the start/stop technology. When the light changed and I took my foot off the brake, the car did not restart. It did not restart when I pressed the gas either. I had to put the car in park and press the start button twice to get it to come back on. This very unsafe and should not happen on a car with less than 400 miles total on it.

- Hixson, TN, USA

Jul 152019

Compass

Car wonżT go after stopping when foot is off break

- Port Saint Lucie, FL, USA

May 182019

Compass

Car losses all electrical, wont start. Not a battery problem. Has happened 4 times since I bought the car 2 months ago.

- Ashland, MA, USA

May 012019

Compass

The start/stop system failed at a stop sign and my car stalled and I couldn't get the car moving until I turned off the automatic stop/start system. The start/stop icon appeared with an exclamation point with the words "stop/start system failure" on the dash. My car is a month old.

- Wheeling, WV, USA

Mar 212019

Compass

We recently had 3 instances where our brand new 2019 Jeep Compass failed to start. The car is only 4 weeks old and has less than 500 miles on it. We tried several times, but the car would not turn on even though the dashboard indicated the engine was running. We saw online that this has already been reported by several people. Took the car to the dealer and apparently there is a known problem with "starter control". they applied a PCM update under item tcb 18-035-19. I don't understand why, if this is a known problem with a fix, the dealers aren't proactively recalling these cars. The electronic start is the only way to start the vehicle (no override) and it could cause grave problems, depending on the situation, if the vehicle won't start. Huge safety issue!!!!!

- Cortlandt Manor, NY, USA

Jan 142019

Compass

The contact owns a 2019 Jeep Compass. On several occasions, while attempting to start the vehicle, it failed to start. The failure left the contact stranded on three occasions. Additionally, the air bag warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to kendall Dodge Chrysler Jeep Ram (located at 13355 sw 137th ave, miami, fl 33186, (786) 231-2120) to be diagnosed, but the dealer was not able to duplicate the failures. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 2,216.

Mar 092019

Compass

The car randomly fails to start with the push of the start button. It says to press the brake pedal and the button to start, however it will not work. Nothing happens. Eventually it will start, could be 1 minute, could be 10 or 15 minutes. Something is obviously wrong. Service of course could not duplicate the issue, so nothing was fixed. It has happened around 5 times in three weeks. Car is brand new. I assume this is some issue affecting more than just my vehicle. If the start button doesn't work, there is no over riding way to start the car.

- Verona, NJ, USA

Feb 222019

Compass

Vehicle wonżT start. It's the third time in a week. The first one take 10 minutes to start, the second time 15 to 20 minutes and the third time I call the dealer and they send a tow truck(all times the vehicle was stationary). They use jumper cables. They said in that moment that brobably is the battery but they leave until next day. Next day call me to pick my Compass and they said that it's not the battery that the battery it's ok and they donżT find nothing. IżM worried because I search online and IżM not the first one with the problem.

- Arecibo, PR, USA