Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Kia Sorento:

Jun 092020

Sorento

Stock paint is continuing to peel off of the car for no reason. No accidents, or anything self inflicted that would contribute to the paint chipping.

- Winter Garden, FL, USA

Sep 122020

Sorento

The paint started peeling from the hood of my car 2 years ago. It started as small cracks, so I ordered paint repair pens from Kia and tried to repair it myself, but it did not work. Now it has expanded to bigger areas. Afraid to wash the car because all the paint may peel off.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Mar 132021

Sorento

Tailgate electric release fails to unlatch the tailgate. Pulling the emergency release does not open the tailgate either. A warning appears in the gauge cluster suggesting that the tailgate is not closed, and the vehicle does not signal that all doors are completely locked after attempting to lock the vehicle. This issue has been previously repaired by a Kia dealer.

- Ithaca, NY, USA

May 252019

Sorento

Rear power lift gate door are not working properly. Doors not opening when trying to open using key fob, inside button or rear on door button car is parked and not moving. Doors trying to open but giving up and staying closed. I found that this is a problem with that mechanism and numerous owners has same problem and complaining about it on many forums and car dealers web pages. My car was at the dealer and he recommended to change latch assembly not covered by warranty.

- Schaumburg, IL, USA

Feb 142021

Sorento

Exterior door handle sticking and needing replaced multiple times.

- Manorville, PA, USA

Jan 122021

Sorento

Door handle fell off in my hand. I cannot open door from inside or outside due to child locks being engaged. Vehicle was stationary I was just opening the door like usual and it broke off.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jan 132021

Sorento

I have owned this car for one year. The lamination and paint are bubbling up for no reason. I take good care of this car and it is not old enough that the paint should be failing. I believe the Kia paint is defective. The paint is bubbling up on the rear hatch and roof, as well as on the driver's side passenger door. I found numerous accounts of this happening to other Kia owners for no reason, and found out that there are class action lawsuits for Kia paint defects.

- Canton, GA, USA

Jan 012017

Sorento

Paint is peeling in large portions.

- Ariton, AL, USA

Nov 012020

Sorento

Exterior right rear handle snapped off when attempting to open it on stationary vehicle. The specific piece that broke off is plastic. This piece attaches the main component that holds the entire door latch assembly to the door.

- Osprey, FL, USA

Apr 012020

Sorento

The passenger door does not open from the exterior. This a serious safety issue if one needs to get into vehicle immediately. The door does open from the interior. This is a common complaint on message boards at www.cargurus.com. I will submit a 'repair invoice later as the Sorento is in the dealership now getting this repaired. I stared having this issue in April 2020 and it progressed until it was a total failure by August 2020

- Conestoga, PA, USA

Jun 122019

Sorento

Pearl white paint started peeling off car

- Grand Bay, AL, USA

Aug 202020

Sorento

Paint chipping on the hood and top of my car/ color is white

- Port Saint Lucie, FL, USA

Mar 012020

Sorento

My 2016 Kia with pearl white paint is peeling very badly on my hood and roof. This is obviously a major problem or defect with the paint. I thought at first it was a rock chip but it was not. It is spreading all over the hood and roof.

- Hermanville, MS, USA

Jun 012020

Sorento

Pearl white paint on 2016 Kia Sorento is rapidly peeling off since March 2020. One huge spot on drivers side bumper is the biggest and has huge chunks that peel off. There is another spot on the passages side bumper and a few other spots on bumper and hood that are starting to bubble up.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jul 052020

Sorento

Trunk is not lifting itself and latch is not locking. And when driving the trunk hits

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 222020

Sorento 6-cyl

Rear tailgate latch will not lock, the actuator has stop working. I hear the clicking but nothing moves. I called the dealer and of cause no information that this exists or has happen to anyone else, why because they want you bring it in to then charge the customer $450 parts and labor. I'm sure that I am not the only one.they also won't give any information that you can do e.g. the smart operation check, etc....this happen to me while traveling from key West back home to St. Louis.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Jun 202020

Sorento 4-cyl

I bought my 2016 Kia Sorento on 06/17/2020. By 06/20/2020 when I got home and tried locking my car, my trunk door would not lock. It will open and close but anybody can access my vehicle through the trunk. And because it will not lock its keepin my dashboard flashing.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

May 312020

Sorento

Passenger door handle is dislodging and not working. Car was parked and in a driveway.

- Viola, IL, USA

Sep 152019

Sorento

While driving on highway we were alerted by other drivers that there was fire and smoke coming from the engine compartment. We pulled over immediately and within minutes the entire vehicle burst in fire. We contacted Kia motors regarding this and they simply denied responsibly for this, deeming the cause of fire to be unrelated to faulty engine components.

- Newport Beach, CA, USA

Jan 022020

Sorento 6-cyl

The front passenger side door handle does not open after using the key fob to unlock the door or using the key to unlock the door. After using the key fob, you must use great force to open the door and close it securely. When this vehicle was purchased, we were told that a recall had been completed to correct this safety issue, however I doubt that. Once a door is unlocked it should not take great force to open it. My fear is that while driving this door may disengage and open while in transit. This has been an ongoing problem since this vehicle was purchased & the dealer is clueless as to how to address/correct the problem.

- Gainesville, GA, USA