Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 Mazda MAZDA3:

Mar 292021

MAZDA3

On March 29, 2021, I had my 2018 Mazda 3 serviced, oil and filter chance, and inspection, at my local Auto repair shop. They indicated that the belt tensioner and belt needed replacement, due to oil leaking, from the tensioner, on to the belt. I got concerned because the vehicle only had 11,523, and the warranty ran out a few weeks earlier. I emailed Mazda several times, and asked, due to the low mileage, and close to warranty expiration, for their dealer to inspect the vehicle, and if needed, replace the tensioner and belt, both free of charge to me. They declined to grant me that courtesy.

- Playa Del Rey, CA, USA

May 212020

MAZDA3 4-cyl

The battery in my 2018 Mazda 3 (touring) has died 3 times in about year's time. After the first time, the dealer said it was just a fluke--that it could have been caused by anything. They put a brand new battery in. After the second battery died, the dealer said that it was because we weren't making long drives in the car. They replaced the battery with a brand new one--and they assured me it wasn't anything else including the alternator (I asked about the alternator specifically). Now, that battery has died. I will call the dealer tomorrow to have a fourth battery installed.... the vehicle was stationary--either in our garage or driveway--when we realized the battery was dead. If you would like to see the records of my various visits to the Mazda dealership, please contact me.

- Eden Prairie, MN, USA

Nov 182018

MAZDA3

Purchased a brand new 2018 Mazda 3 2.5L touring hatchback. I had only driven the vehicle as its new owner once, from the dealership back to my home, which was less than 20 miles, when the following occurred: I started the engine for my second trip with the vehicle, and noticed the check engine light was illuminated and remained illuminated. I drove the vehicle around the block and did not experience any unusual driving performance characteristics so I drove to my intended destination which was only 7 miles away. When I started the engine to make my way back I noticed that now five warning lights were illuminated and remained illuminated, which corresponded to the following warning guidances: An engine system malfunction, a dsc malfunction, a TPMS system malfunction, along with two scbs malfunction warnings. When attempting to drive the vehicle, I found that the engine was clearly not running properly, as it jerked violently, surged, hesitated and at times seemed poised to stall. The vehicle was clearly unsafe for me to proceed on the road. As it was Sunday, I had to arrange on the next day for a tow truck to Transport the vehicle to the nearest Mazda service center, which was not the Mazda dealership I had purchased the vehicle from. It took over a week for Mazda service center to determine I had a faulty throttle body, which had caused these problems and this was what needed replacement. Importantly, the service technician indicated that the warning lights indicating problems with this new Mazda were known previously by the original Mazda dealer before the sale transaction was completed: Prior to the vehicle's arrival for service at Mazda service center, the warning lights and malfunction codes were previously cleared by the Mazda dealer, rather than addressing the issue or resolving it. This is fraud and corporate malfeasance on the part of the Mazda dealership.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Feb 142019

MAZDA3

On 2/14/19 between 2:30 and 3 P.M., my mother (melissa dodson) was involved in a fatal car accident with another vehicle (a 2004 GMC Envoy) that resulted in being doa. She was driving a 2018 Mazda Mazda3 sport four dr and traveling westbound on East hanover rd in graham, nc at the time of the accident. According to the unsubstantiated police report, it stated that my mother's car veered/crossed the double yellow line before impact. However, the Envoy was reportedly doing 55 mph upon entering the "S" curve section of the narrow 35 mph two-lane road (which contributed to the crash). In my must humbling opinion, I have reasons to believe that there is more to the accident causing my mother's death that graham police is not investigating or has not investigated. What I mean is that I have reasons to believe that there is still an open recall on the make and model vehicle that my mother purchased (less than a month before the accident); however, I personally feel this concern is not being taken seriously. Enclosed I have provided a copy of (in my opinion) incomplete police report and pictures of my mother's wrecked vehicle and also I have a link to the newspaper coverage of the accident site too! https://www.thetimesnews.com/news/20190215/burlington-woman-killed-in-Thursday-wreck-police-still-investigating-cause

- Graham, NC, USA