Feb 092013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving approximately 55 on an interstate in middle of heavy traffic, my 2009 Ford Escape XLT 3.0L suddenly decelerated and went into limp mode. I carefully made it to the shoulder as speed dropped to about 5 miles an hour. While parked on the shoulder I noticed the warning light for the electronic throttle was lit. I shut off the engine and waited about 5 minutes. I restarted without incident. This is the 2nd time this has happened and it has been running rough as well.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Jun 222012

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on the highway the vehicle lost power and the wrench light came on. It wouldn't accelerate I was able to coast to the shoulder unharmed, but it was a morning commute and the highway was very busy I could have easily been hit. I turned the car off and it did start up again. This happened 2 more times in the same morning. I called the Ford service department and immediately brought my car in per their instruction. After holding my car for 2 days and charging me $130 for service they told me there was nothing they could do because the wrench light doesn't hold codes. They knew when I dropped it off the only light that came on was no longer on when I brought the car in and they didn't warn me in advance that they weren't going be able to do anything without it happening while they had it. My vehicle at this time was under maintenance and power train warranty. So I took it home and this happened about 20 more times both on the highway and driving through town over about a 7 month period. This happened again 2 days ago 4 times on my way home from work on a very narrow road so it was very dangerous. This time the check engine light stayed on and I made another appointment with Ford. I was told it had the codes for (throttle body stuck open/closed) they were able to replace the throttle body which I hope will fix this extremely dangerous problem. My car is still under powertrain warranty, but I was told that this part is not covered. So I paid full price for the part because my safety is more important, but this should really be recall. There were numerous times I could have been in a very serious accident.

- Windsor, CA, USA

Feb 142013

Escape 6-cyl

My wife and I were driving home from supper at a restaurant. We were on a busy city street doing about 30 mph, when the car suddenly lost power and slowed to around 1 to 2 mph. We managed to ease the car home(around 2blocks) amid horns blowing and lights flashing from other drivers.the engine light had come on and showed a picture of a wrench. When I explained to the lady at the Ford dealership the next day, she seemed to know right away that it would be a wrench showing, which made me assume that they had this problem before.....bill for repairs was $545.

- St.Petersburg, FL, USA

Dec 022012

Escape

My 2009 Ford Escape has acceleration problems. I try not to make left turns due to vehicle slowing down when I am accelerating, the wrench comes on in the cab when I start experiencing the problem. Also when on highway wrench light comes on and car slows down lie the brakes are on.

- E Wareham, MA, USA

Feb 192013

Escape 4-cyl

While driving, the vehicle lost power. When pressing on gas it just coasted. The wrench warning light came on. Was able to get to side of the road, but almost got hit from behind. Turned vehicle off, restarted and was back on the road. On other occasions there has been some surging. I see that there has been many complaints on this problem and it is getting some press that there is a defective part (throttle body). I contacted Ford service and was told that they could look at it, but it is not under warranty. However, the wrench warning light indicate a power train issue, I was told it is not covered under the power train warranty. This does not make sense and it truly looks like a defective part. This is very unsafe and could result in a very bad accident in traffic. This needs to be a recall since they are aware of the issue.

- Franklin, TN, USA

Feb 092011

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate and the RPM increased. The contact mentioned that the wrench symbol warning light illuminated. Also, the contact stated that the failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 20,000 and the current mileage was 60,000.

- Partland, WI, USA

May 132009

Escape 6-cyl

My first incident with my 2009 Ford Escape happened shortly after I bought it. After just starting my truck and driving a short distance, the truck would not accelerate but the RPM's were roaring to over 6000 and my truck finally shot out into traffic. Luckily on a very busy street, no one was coming at the time. After that the truck had multiple incidents of not accelerating in traffic and a roaring and rapid rise in RPM's. I learned to immediately turn my car off (in the middle of the road) and then restart and it would usually work properly. It can be very scary. It would often slam into gear when this happened which I know was not good for my transmission. This happened intermittently so I knew it might be hard for a technician to replicate. When I took it to the dealer for 3 years they said everything was fine. When my warranty was up I went in and insisted that they fix my truck. They replaced a tie rod, fixed the sway bar linkage and said it was fine. It started making really loud noises a month later and I took it to my mechanic who again fixed the linkage. I called Ford and they kept the truck for a couple weeks and did extensive transmission work. It has had 2 problem since but not as bad. I still worry about front end issues after 3 years of slamming into gear with the engine revving. I bought this vehicle(usually I leased my truck) because I was retiring and now I feel I must get rid of it because of anticipated mechanical trouble.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Feb 132013

Escape

Our 2009 Ford Escape is stalling and surging. The Escape suddenly decelerates like it is stalling out, on other occasions it accelerates and revs the engine really high then drops back down.

- St. Clair Shores, MI, USA

Jan 262013

Escape 6-cyl

My Ford Escape 2009 keeps losing acceleration ability. The first time it happened I was only going 25 on a residential road so I was able to pull over easily. Wrench light is on, I turn car off and restart and acceleration is fine. The next time I was pulling out of my driveway again turn car off wait turn car on and I'm fine next time heading home from work on a very busy street happened in the intersection had to get over limped into a quick trip turned off then back on works fine. But who is to say this won't happen when I am trying to turn against traffic I would be in a serious wreck. Took it to the dealership the mechanic could not get a code off the computer. They are still trying but when a women (myself) mentions throttle body they try to say no that couldn't be it.

- Independence, MO, USA

Sep 082012

Escape

2009 Ford Escape. Consumer writes in regards to acceleration problems. The consumer stated she was driving in the city, at 50 mph, when suddenly the vehicle failed to accelerate. Her foot was all the way to the floor, but it would not accelerate. She also noticed two symbols, a gas and a wrench light, appeared on the left side of the dashboard. She was able to pull over, and turned the engine off. Shortly after she turned the engine off and started it again, she was able to drive without any problem. She contacted the dealer, and was advised to monitor the situation. On December 21, 2012, as she was driving 40 mph in the city, the vehicle suddenly failed to accelerate again. At that time, only the symbol of the wrench appeared on the left side of the dashboard. The consumer took the vehicle to the dealer for an inspection, only to be told, they could not find a problem.

- Palm Coast, FL, USA

Jan 082013

Escape

Stop and speed up and not want to move had to replace throttle body unit.

- St Ann , MO, USA

Jan 072013

Escape 6-cyl

This happened first on January 7 and again today jjnuary 10, 2013. The car suddenly stops. The yellow wrench warning light comes on and indicates throttle control problem. Can turn car off and restart and drive normally. It was very scary as my wife was left in the dark in the middle of a busy street. It seems to be very intermiitent. I have read others reports of this and Ford apparently is not taking action. This is very dangerous situation which many have reported.

- Pendleton, IN, USA

Sep 072012

Escape 6-cyl

My vehicle will be driving fine until suddenly the car losses the ability to accelerate and the "wrench" light appears and the engine shakes forcefully. At that time I power the vehicle off and restart it. When it restarts the engine shakes for like 30 seconds and then the car proceeds to drive normal until the next incident occurs. At the time I was driving on a busy road at about 50 miles per hour. This has happened on several occasions. I was on the highway driving 65 and it has happened. I have three kids and this is extremely dangerous.

- Darien, IL, USA

Dec 182012

Escape 6-cyl

Driving and wrench light came on at the same time that the vehicle lost power. This had happened previously on 11/25/12 and the dealer repair was replacing both vct solenoids and valve cover gaskets. Both times when this had happened before I turned the engine off and restarted after 3-5 minutes. I was able to go another 6-8 miles and then the wrench light came back on. The second time, the check engine light came on and then seconds later 8 other lights were lit on the dash. I turned the engine off after coasting to the median of the highway (was in left lane with traffic at 55mph) and waited for a tow from the dealer. Now the dealer is telling me this repair (replacement of throttle body) is not covered as the vehicle is more than 3 years old (actually, I've had it for 44 months). I want Ford to pay for this repair as it seems rather common from what I'm seeing on-line.

- Johns Creek, GA, USA

Dec 022012

Escape

Was on road.car just stop accelerating light came on, pulled to side of road. Turned off. Restarted and worked find for a couple of days. Now have to deal with every other day. Called dealership, and they said I need to pay for repair. It should be a recall. Has happened alot to people.

- Williamsburg, OH, USA

Dec 072012

Escape

Was driving on the interstate and the car stopped responding to the gas pedal. Car had to be towed to a Ford dealer, where it was determined the throttle body is bad and has to be replaced to the tune of $350. A google search reveals this is a known problem, there just hasn't been a formal recall yet.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Sep 212012

Escape

My Ford Escape 2009 keeps losing acceleration ability. The first time it happened I was only going 25 on a residential road so I was able to pull over easily. Wrench light is on, I turn car off and restart and acceleration is fine. The next time I was out of traveling out of town on the interstate at 60 mph when engine began to decelerate, luckily I was able to pull over to emergency lane. Again I turned car off and when I turned it back on everything seem to return to normal. I had the car towed because I did not feel safe continuing to drive it. The mechanic could not get a code off the computer. The mechanic drove it and was unable to get problem to occur. I had to pick up the car with no resolution. I risked my life and drove it home. It happened again on the way home. I will not be driving my car again until this is resolved. It seems Ford is aware of this problem with the throttle body. If someone is injured or killed because of this issue Ford will be held liable. Ford you have been officially notified of this hazardous malfunction and legally are now responsible for the outcome.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Oct 302012

Escape 6-cyl

Pulling out into traffic while stopped, pressed gas peddle car rolled but not strong, hesitated as I had told Ford dealer, had to slam brakes so car would not go, by then upcoming car was to close. No accident but scared me. This happens often. Not safe to have passengers, or myself. Many complaints to Ford but nothing done about it.

- Stamford , VT, USA

Oct 232012

Escape

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, the vehicle made a noise and the vehicle would not accelerate past 20 mph. The vehicle was taken to the a dealer for inspection and they stated that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and they stated that the warranty was expired. The failure mileage was 60,600. The VIN was unavailable.

- Lemars, IA, USA

Feb 222012

Escape 6-cyl

In February 2012 (mileage approx 32900), I experienced jerking upon accelerating as my 2009 Ford Escape was changing gears. The dealer assessed it as a computer malfunction and reprogrammed the computer. My wife and I have had intermittent problems with jerking upon accelerating since. Then, on 10/20/2012 (mileage approx 38000), the vehicle stalled when my wife was accelerating to enter traffic on the interstate highway. Thankfully, she was able to get out of traffic without getting hit, and she and our 18 month old are ok. The dealership is replacing the throttle body. Not only was acceleration a problem, the seals on the front axle broke and spilled axle fluid on the drivers side, so the dealer is refilling the axle fluid and replacing the seals.

- Windcrest, TX, USA