Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Explorer:

Feb 012016

Explorer

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that various warning indicators flashed and the vehicle stalled several times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the fly by wire pedal and the throttle body were replaced, but the failure continued. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and did not assist. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000.

- Lake Worth, FL, USA

Aug 252017

Explorer

Transmission is slipping bad and car not shifting into drive

- Perry Hall, MD, USA

Nov 102015

Explorer

I own a 2006 Ford Explorer eddie bauer, bought used in 2011/61000K. Since 2012 the car started showing problems with the power steering and /or engine. When driving at 35-40 mph on a highway the car started to surge forward, then back, keeping surging until the car reached a higher speed of 60. If driving on a hill, it will loose its speed. I took the car to Ford dealer and they couldn't find the problem. The car now is 120000K, still same problem. Very disappointed with Ford that will not take responsibility for the problemas.

- Germantown, MD, USA

Dec 032016

Explorer

The car was sold with limited warranty, used, but had written cold start issue. The vehicle gets warm if warm outside and will just completely shut off anywhere at anytime. Riding down interstate, will lose power then shut off and leave you with no power steering to control vehicle going high speeds, will shut off in town multiple times upward of a dozen or more times while driving, 1st shop sent to said couldn't find issue second they sent me too said computer needed replacing. Either way I never would have purchased it without it being done had U known, my fiance is small and no way she could handle the vehicle if shutting down while driving. Its very dangerous and is going to get someone killed if not repaired and looked into more closely.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Oct 152016

Explorer

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Explorer. While driving 55 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact was able to restart the vehicle, but the failure recurred two more times. The vehicle was taken to tri star Ford (930 old us hwy 22, blairsville, pa 15717), but the dealer was unable to diagnose the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that there were no recalls. The contact was advised to take the vehicle to another dealer. The approximate failure mileage was 37,500. The VIN was unavailable.

- New Florence, PA, USA

Feb 082017

Explorer

Got 2006 eddie bauer w/98,000, 1 previous owner (mother) all servicing via the same Ford dealer (gene butman), except for a few oil changes from uncle ed's. late Nov 2016 took it in due to the heat was fluctuating, was told it needed the thermostat and housing replaced (even though it had the radiator replaced a few years earlier), also had brakes & rotors done, the 100,000 mile checkup said all was good. A week later the exhaust flute, etc broke lose, got that repaired & $2,000 later, Friday 2/03/17 wrench light came on, then engine light, vehicle seemed to lunge forward, delay, doesn't engage..accelerate, feels like the transmission is hanging and then slams into gear. A thud feeling was also reported by my mother several times in previous years to the dealer, they could not find anything wrong, so she had then document it. Today I am told a transmission is needed, which is a unexpected huge & saddening surprise - in 2012 and 2013 there had already been transmission work on the vehicle. Checked and see all reports about this particular model has occurred on this one, cooling system/radiator/thermostat and housing issues, exhaust issues and now transmission issues -- there are thousands of reports for this exact model and other Explorer and Ford vehicles, all known issues, many explanations why it occurred with this model and that Ford is aware of them and has provided no recalls for any of these serious defective matters, none - especially when each are very dangerous matters. Today I am told, that a new transmission will be: $5,400, 3 year warranty and a used transmission: $3,600 12 mos or 12,000 miles. Both options are very very expensive. What can NHTSA do, will a recall ever occur" it seems Ford needs to step in and help with these repairs. It there any help with these matters & cost" www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Explorer/2006/.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Jun 012016

Explorer

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced a complete loss of power. In addition, the contact noticed steam coming from the vehicle. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the compressor failed and the check engine indicator was disabled. As a result, the electronic control module caused the vehicle to malfunction. The compressor was replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was approximately 109,000.

- Pinellas Park, FL, USA

Aug 012016

Explorer

Car shuts off while driving. This has happened about 6 times in the last two months. Always at speeds under 40 mph and always within 3 minutes of turning the car on. There's never any warning or smell or sound. Dash goes black, radio cuts off, power steering fails, and I have to coast to the side of the road. Obviously this is very frightening and I've been very lucky that it has not yet happened at lights or turns. My car guy is really good and he's at a loss. He thinks maybe it's a security system malfunction. I drive with children in the car and I can't afford a to buy a new car. I'm not sure what my other options are.

- Severna Park, MD, USA

May 252016

Explorer

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Explorer. While driving various speeds, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle restarted after numerous attempts. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. the vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. the manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage and VIN were not available.

- Swedesboro, NJ, USA

Apr 072016

Explorer

Check engine lite and orange wrench lite which shuts car down no excelration pedal power steering gone and no brake control on freeway coming home. Trans. Will not shift and jumps when wrench lite is on very dangerous this has been going on since April took back to dealer sent to mechanic replaced 2 parts on excelleration module. Still not right.

- Pinson, AL, USA

Jun 192014

Explorer

Does the class action lawsuit concerning spark plugs include this model of Explorer? the V8 4.6L eddie bauer edition-if not, it should, as we were told the same info on sparks plugs breaking off if not done with a special extraction tool. We had diagnostics done and depending on what happened when removed and changed could cost anywhere between $600-$1500. Specifically told "do not attempt yourself." Service was performed June 19, 2014 by a local Ford dealer.

- Edwardsville, IL, USA

May 162016

Explorer

First problem started with the brain in the transmission area. Hesitating, lunging forward and tachometer jumping when taking off and during driving down the roads/highways. Had diagnostics tests done (March 3, 2016.) replaced brain and it stopped the hesitation, lunging and tachometer jumping=$2700. Next problem came along when we started hearing a ticking sound when it was started in the driveway(May 16, 2016.) come to find out the engine was blown which is now going to cost $6700. We have always maintained our vehicles with proper care and attention, but how can all these major things go wrong at only 108000 miles"?"

- Edwardsville, IL, USA

Jul 132015

Takata recall

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Jan 272016

Explorer

I bought a 2006 Explorer in 2010 and in 5 years I have had a sensor that's goes inside the transmission replaced, then transmission rebuilted, and the radiator replaced twice. Now that it's paid off leaking coolant again making it run hot. Now it saying check the charging system and stop on me on the freeway and now won't stay started. Thought I was doing everything right with the maintenance of the truck but it keeps breaking down. Also the wrench thing is on and won't stay started even while pressing the gas pedal to the floor all after I just had another sensor replaced. And besides the radiator leaking again that plastic thing they call a thermostat housing may be cracked. I feel I'm spending more money repairing things on this truck in 5 years that most people spend on a new car. If I had seen all the problems this model year was having would have went a different brand.

- Houston, TX, USA

May 312015

Explorer

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Explorer. While driving approximately 35 mph, the engine stalled. The vehicle was able to restart. The failure recurred ten times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was undetermined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Sep 162015

Explorer

Driving on a highway I-95 in Florida. The vehicle started to miss as we accelerated. We took the car into a Ford dealer service for plug replacement. This auto has a 4.6 litre V-8 engine. We were amazed to find that it will cost upwards of $1000 to replace 8 spark plugs. That cost esculates if any plugs are broken. The plugs are two piece construction and separate on removal. Only Ford can remove the plugs and more will be charged for any broken. It is impossible to remove these plugs without breakage. Ford recommends not changing the plugs until 100,000 miles. By that time you are out of guaranty and if they are hard to come out at 60,000 miles imagine if they are left in. These plugs are known to blow out of the head and I am sure there are many accidents. I am a disabled veteran 83 years old and a mechanical engineer. My wife and I are fishermen and need a vehicle to bring our boat to water. We are avid Ford owners and are greatly dissapointed.

- Jupiter, FL, USA

Oct 262011

Explorer

Purchase this vehicle in 2011 once it was home within 3 months began having problems, I also purchase the Ford extended warranty and took it back to the dealership. They explained they could not find an issue with the transmission. It jolts, lunges, and sometimes the transmission doesn't engage. I feel extremely unsafe trying to pull out at an intersection because the car starts to jolt and I have to slam on the gas in order for the car to go.it is horrible and I feel very unsafe driving; especially with my children in the car. Even if I am driving on the interstate I have to put the car into overdrive to stop the majority of the jolting, and that does not even guarantee it will stop. It has been a battle with the dealership. Had it independently checked by aamco and the transmission replaced, but the issue still occurs. Not sure what can be done. This vehicle needs to be recalled.

- Gainesille, VA, USA

Oct 102013

Explorer 6-cyl

I bought my first Ford Explorer almost 8 years ago. I had absolutely no problems with this vehicle and felt very safe driving my newborn son. I had a second son and decided to buy a new Ford Explorer because it was such a dependable car. Now I am regretting that decision. I bought a 2006 Ford Explorer at round 60,000 miles. It now has 70,000 and I have already had to get another transmission and it still has not fixed the problem. It jolts, lunges, and sometimes the transmission doesn't engage. I feel extremely unsafe trying to pull out at an intersection because the car starts to jolt and I have to slam on the gas in order for the car to go.it is horrible and I feel very unsafe driving; especially with my children in the car. Even if I am driving on the interstate I have to put the car into overdrive to stop the majority of the jolting, and that does not even guarantee it will stop. My husband is in the military and gone a great deal. He should not have to worry about the safety of his children or wife when he is deployed overseas or when he is training away from home. He is currently away from home for training, getting ready for deployment. He is calling every chance he gets to make sure the car has not broken down or we have not been in and accident due to this very horrible vehicle. If I had enough money I would buy another vehicle and tell everyone not to ever buy a Ford again. I think I am more upset with the fact that my husband is possible being sent overseas in October, and he cannot even go to war with the knowledge his family is safe. I really wish someone would understand that this is a huge problem and major safety problem. Please help all of the families with this defect.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Nov 262013

Explorer 6-cyl

We bought this used from a used car dealership. The very next day I noticed while driving the engine just shut off. Couple months later the same thing happened and has continued to happen often. Last week I was driving 45 mph on a highway in the rain and lost all control of the vehicle. The brakes didn't work, the steering didn't work, the entire car shut down, I had a panic attack because I was in traffic and almost caused a huge accident with other vehicles. I put on the hazards and finally was able to drift into a the middle of the road called the turning lane. I called the dealership many times and have only been told "we are sorry". I tried calling a lemon law lawyer but was told, sorry, if the truck was a 2007 then I would have a case. So, now what do I do? I have a 10,000 car loan for a vehicle that I am frightened to drive anywhere. Please help me.

- Souderton, PA, USA

Jun 122014

Explorer 6-cyl

I was driving up small hill-dry conditions and the car shut down. On coming vehicle swerved and avoided collision. This has happened many times after the traction control sensor comes on. The car also jumps out when shifting gears and sometimes it is very hard to shift. Transmission problem! safety recall imperative!

- Tavernier , FL, USA