9.0

$6,280

Most common solutions:

1. new engine (3 reports)
  2. replace the long block (2 reports)
  3. replaced short block (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Ford Escape:

Dec 062021

Escape SE 1.6L

Brought my vehicle to a local dealership for an electrical issue, was notified that there is coolant leaking into the cylinder. Car is out of manufacturing warranty so I purchased CarShield. They denied my claim stating there was a TSB #19-2346 and they don't cover anything that falls under a TSB. I checked with Ford and they said that my VIN# vehicle wasn't under any recall or TSB but they still denied my claim. Ford is working with me to help with the cost however I feel that I should not have to go into my pocket for $2.662.08 which is 35% of the total repair.

Anyone else in this same situation, suggestions???

Thanks,

A disgruntled customer

- Richard R., Largo, US

Oct 142021

Escape SE 1.5L

My 2017 Escape SE Eco Boost 1.5 is in the shop right now getting a new short block to the tune of $6000. 58,000 miles and I'm still paying off the loan on it. Coolant leaked onto cylinders and ruined the engine. The Ford service tech was very aware of the problem, so that tells me he's seen it before. He gave me the 800 # to call Ford, and I am assuming I will not hear back. I've had this car less than 2 years, and was then told I am literally 19 days "out of time" on the 5 yrs/60,000 mile powertrain warranty. 19 days is costing me $6000. This is maddening, and Ford needs to step up. I'm getting rid of this POS as soon as it is fixed. The problem is dangerous and somebody is going to die either from their engine dying on a highway or an engine fire - is that what it will take for Ford to do something??

Update from Nov 8, 2021: Update - after several conversations with Ford, they refuse to help with any of the cost on the new engine. I am out $6045 on a car with 58,000 miles on it. There is a class action lawsuit in the Eastern Dist of California (case no. 2:20-cv-01796) and because of this defect that Ford refuses to acknowledge and for which they've known about since 2010 and continued to just band-aid the problem. It's infuriating.

- Linda G., Lees Summit, MO, US

Aug 272021

Escape ES 1.5L

My car has been at the dealership for 2 weeks and Ford only offered to pay $2188 for the repairs. My car is only 4 yrs old and has had good maintenance record and no recall was reported. I know this has been a well known issues and I think Ford should pay for the whole repair.

- Rose K., Harrison Township, US

May 012021

Escape SE 2.0L

I recently purchased this 2017 Ford Escape and only had the chance to put 4,000 miles on it myself. I was so excited to get it. It is just barely off of warranty now. It recently began leaking coolant into the engine. I had it professionally diagnosed by the local Ford dealership and they say it needs a new engine at a cost of $7,000! The dealership contacted Ford for some help for me with this expense, but the help was refused.

There are other complaints about this same exact issue in other Ford Escapes, so this is a manufacturer defect. There is one recall, but it is for an earlier year model. There is a class action lawsuit in Arkansas for several years, including a 2017 Escape for the same problem. I am so disappointed and angry. Buying this car turned out to be a VERY expensive mistake. I have owned various models of Fords for years, but if Ford won't make this right, I will never buy another one!

D. Schropp

- Daniel S., Traverse City, US

Sep 172020

Escape 4 cyl

I purchased a 2017 Ford Escape with 8738 miles on it in 2018. All service work done at dealer. My check engine light came on around 69,000 miles around Sept. 15, 2020 and I took it to my Ford dealer immediately. The service dept. mgr. said they had received an service bulletin on the issue and kept it over night for a pressure test to see if coolant was leaking into the cylinders. It was.

They replaced the short block since I had purchased extended warranty. I paid $100 deductible. Two weeks later, torque converter went out. Still waiting on that repair and today is Feb. 14, 2021. My dealer has gone above and beyond to keep me on the road with a loaner car so Thanks!! But the loaner is a 2015 Escape Titanium, and it is losing coolant also.

- Karen S., Carrollton, US

Jan 042021

Escape 2.0L Ltr Ecoboost

I bought a brand new 2017 Ford Escape in August, 2016. It ran like a charm until early Jan 2021. I had it regularly serviced for all the recommended services. Phil Long Ford Chapel Hills in Colorado Springs performed a 60,000 service which mostly included changing out fluids/filters. One week after the 60,000 service, I noticed it felt like the transmission was skipping when I was on the highway; mostly between 60 and 70 miles per hour.

I was going to bring it in, and then I was traveling about 40 miles per hour, and the engine fault (service immediately) lights came on. It felt like it was going to stall. I parked it and had it towed to Phil Long Ford. After a couple days of diagnosis, Ford tells me coolant is leaking into the cylinders, and I need a new engine. Parts and labor will cost 6,500.00. Very unhappy about this.

I want to say it was something they did on the 60,000 service, but I cannot prove it. My vehicle also had no symptoms of coolant leaking into the cylinders; there was no overheating, no loss of coolant, no white smoke from the tail pipe. Ford will not commit to helping us financially with this. We did not purchase an extended warranty. This sucks!

- David N., Monument, CO, US